1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Thinking of driving for Uber

Discussion in 'People' started by Dennisvaz, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Dennisvaz

Dennisvaz Member

I just retired 2 weeks ago and bored all ready. Thinking of Uber since getting PT work seems impossible. I've been looking into what is needed and it seems pretty simple until you get to what phone to use. Can any one offer some advice?

MidKnightHer, uzurper and tohunt4me like this.
  2. Sgt_PaxHauler

Sgt_PaxHauler Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Recent iPhones and midrange to high end Android phones both work. I'm an Android user, so I'll give advice on that. Phones with an OS version of 4.4 (KitKat) or newer (Lollipop=5s, Marshmallow=6s, Nougat=7) come highly recommended. You'll need a phone that has at least 4GB of internal storage, a dual-core processor minimum and 1GB RAM minimum. I've tried running Uber on low end KitKat phones with 512MB RAM, and it was a very unpleasant, slow experience since that's not enough RAM to run a navigation app and the Uber Driver app at the same time. New phones with the right specifications shouldn't cost any more than $200 at the very most.

Try running a search using the "Phone Finder" function at www.gsmarena.com to get an idea on specific brands of phones.

3. Dennisvaz

Dennisvaz Member

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. New phones are so expensive, new Androids, 700.00?? Like the $200.00 range.

4. Dennisvaz

Dennisvaz Member

I take it that the more Ram the faster the phone?

5. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

F
    FIshing is a more rewarding hobby.
    Give it a try. You can work when you feel like it.

6. tohunt4me

My phone has all that. $79.00 new and running on a $30.00 a month plan. Which I write off on taxes.

7. Dennisvaz

Dennisvaz Member

Which phone are you using? I do fish and have a saddle bag set up for it, collapsible rod, tackle...

tohunt4me likes this.
  8. tohunt4me

Shop around. I use an unlimited prepaid that has a walk in store.
    Go visit one and tell them what you want and your price range,then have a look at what they can show you

9. Dennisvaz

Dennisvaz Member

I think I found one that will work. What do you think? Samsung Galaxy Go Prime, 64.99 internal memory up to 8 GB expandable to 64 GB. Quad core with 1.5 GB Ram and android V5.1 (Lollipop) The plans I can get are a 4 GB or an 8 GB plan. Do you think the 4 GB plan would be sufficient? Or do you think I would need the 8 GB plan? the 4 is 45.00 a month and 8 is 60.00. Thank you for all your help.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  10. Uber Noob

Uber Noob Member

Iphone work ok, I liked using my android phone better though. I have a blog for new drivers https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnfKmCuR_mqnXzC1gSoDJpg

11. Sgt_PaxHauler

Driving:
    UberX
    That phone will work fine. My data plan is 5GB, and I haven't managed to tap it out yet. Full time drivers putting in over 40hrs/wk would want the 8GB plan, but you probably won't need that much unless you're watching Netflix between pings. :)

MidKnightHer likes this.
  12. Dennisvaz

Dennisvaz Member

Thank you sir!!!

13. Midnight Vegas Rider

Midnight Vegas Rider New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    if you drive for Uber part time you will be on a Ramen diet !!!!!!

MidKnightHer likes this.
  14. Dennisvaz

Dennisvaz Member

Had to order my phone, will take a couple of days to get it. Once you sign up to drive how long does it take for everything to go through? Should I sign up now while waiting for my phone and getting my car set up? Or should I wait until everything is ready in my car? :)

15. Peanut hello

Peanut hello Active Member

And it will take away the cuteness of the voluptuousness .

16. UberBastid

UberBastid Well-Known Member

Yes. I would advise that you lay down, put a cool cloth on your forehead till the feeling goes away.
    Seriously.

Volunteer at the local library, be a crossing guard, visit people in convalescent homes - - you'll be happier, richer and healthier. Breed finches, learn a second language or a musical instrument. I can think of a thousand things better, a million.
    Seriously.

MidKnightHer likes this.
  17. Sgt_PaxHauler

Driving:
    UberX
    Background checks usually take a few days, so I'd go ahead, sign up, and hopefully by the time Checkr finishes the background check and sends the all-clear to Uber your phone will be in and you'll have your car outfitted & ready for passengers.

18. Dennisvaz

Dennisvaz Member

Why? Is that what you do?
    Thanks Sgt

19. uzurper

uzurper New Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    The good thing about driving for uber is that you will know if you want to do it or not in about 10 to 20 trips. It is a great part-time gig since you can work your own hours and sometimes you can meet some pretty cool passengers. I have both iPhone and Android but I've never used my Android for the Uber Partner App. I'd be interested to hear how you find the Samsung Galaxy Go Prime!

20. Dennisvaz

Dennisvaz Member

I'll keep you in the loop.

uzurper likes this.