• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Thinking of buying an older Escalade

SamUber91

Hi all,
I’m thinking about purchasing a 2005 Escalade that my friend is selling really cheap and is in excellent condition. I know the gas is terrible but I could do UBER XL with it. I would also use it to shlep around my spouses family who don’t have cars since we always have squeeze into our 5 passenger vehicles so I would get 2 uses out of it.

Does anyone drive those older Escalades, Yukon, suburban’s etc. and still come out on top considering the mileage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

SamUber91

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber pool in a Caddy...nice!
Could I take more pool riders in an XL vehicle? Like instead of just 2-4 pool riders I could do 6? Haha. This doesn’t really help with my mileage question/issue lol

I had a 2004 Yukon for a little bit, it got about 10 mpg. Not a good idea for Uber.
Does the XL part at least make up for the bad gas mileage? I would love to uber in my car but it’s a lease and I don’t want to go over my miles.

Tysmith95

Big problem with a 2005 is that it might be too old for Lyft. So that's like 50-60 percent of XL pings gone.

XL pings aren't as frequent so you'd want both apps to maximize income.

SamUber91

Just saying its not worth it Get a eco car for cheap.
I’m looking for a second use out the car other then UBER which I why I wanted a nicer SUV. :/

Big problem with a 2005 is that it might be too old for Lyft. So that's like 50-60 percent of XL pings gone.

XL pings aren't as frequent so you'd want both apps to maximize income.
2003 or newer for Lyft :smiles:

SamUber91

In MA yes, but in CT, NH, and I believe RI it's too old, you'll be SOL if you get a ride there -- you'll have to deadhead back.
I usually stick around Boston the it’s burbs. Only time I ever had to go out of state was actually earlier this week when I had a ride from Holliston —> Derry,Nh. But I didn’t expect to catch from NH to MA anyway. And I didn’t. Lol

WelcomeTree

I have an XL vehicle, not great on gas, but much better than an Escalade or a Yukon. The answer is no, you will not get enough XL rides to make up for the poor gas. I'll edit this post from my phone and show a screen shot, for the most part, the only time I get XL requests are weekend nights. Even then they aren't all that common.

I have an XL for my family, but if your buying a car with ride-share primarily in mind, I highly recommend you go with another vehicle that gets better gas mileage.

Attachments

SamUber91

I have an XL vehicle, not great on gas, but much better than an Escalade or a Yukon. The answer is no, you will not get enough XL rides to make up for the poor gas. I'll edit this post from my phone and show a screen shot, for the most part, the only time I get XL requests are weekend nights. Even then they aren't all that common.

I have an XL for my family, but if your buying a car with ride-share primarily in mind, I highly recommend you go with another vehicle that gets better gas mileage.
Do you ever go to the Airport to get XL rides?

Slowfocus

I have a Sienna minivan as well and you’d be waiting a bit if all you did was plus/xl rides lol. With that mpg on an escalade, it may not be fruitful to uber a lot with. But hey, money is money.
Sounds like a good buy for family purposes? Come back and let us know your decision. Id love to see the net profits you gain ubering on with it. Good luck

WelcomeTree

Do you ever go to the Airport to get XL rides?
I have never once gotten an XL request at the airport in uber, I got a few plus requests on Lyft.

Either way I can handle 6 PAX OR a lot of luggage but not both, so I've never tried only being open to XL at logan. With the 3rd row up my cargo space is limited. I know they exist because I've done XL to logan, but I've yet to get one coming out.

Slowfocus

I have never once gotten an XL request at the airport in uber, I got a few plus requests on Lyft.

Either way I can handle 6 PAX OR a lot of luggage but not both, so I've never tried only being open to XL at logan. With the 3rd row up my cargo space is limited. I know they exist because I've done XL to logan, but I've yet to get one coming out.
Ditto.

SamUber91

Not too many options out there for a car that old. Just wondering if it would be worth it at all. Only would cost me .22$ per mile. Versus maybe .11$ for a regular sedan.

Blunt power