• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Thinking about joining UberXL (Charlotte close to Airport)

illtww

Hi all,

New member here. I am thinking of joining UBERX/XL but need to see it it makes sense. I live over by the outlet malls and I can work early mornings (6-9am) Lunch (11-1pm) and evening (7-10pm) I would like to target the business riders that are at the airport but I am struggling with what size car I want to acquire.

I "THINK" I want to avoid putting myself into the UBER-X only category for the car purchase. I also want to avoid the Commercial insurance nonsense etc of Black/SUV (I think uber is trying to distance themselves anyways from that platform)

I am looking at using Mercedes 2013 GLK 250 Turbo Diesel. (wifes newer car...) would put you in line for UberSelect/UberPlus If that happens..

Thoughts?

illtww

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do have a 2006 Jetta TDI currently that I could sign up for UBER X for... option b I guess..

Jam Val

I can't comment on the car too much cause you'll just have to pick one. Uber X = lower rates but more business. Uber Black = more money, less business.

The airport is good and bad. I can do a drop off and wait anywhere from 5-60 minutes for a pickup. You can't tell ahead of time where your rider is going so you could end up getting pinged to pickup and go uptown or to Concord. It's a crap shoot. My guess is the executives will choose black or SUV so maybe you'll end up going to uptown more?

ArnoldLSU

Hi all,

New member here. I am thinking of joining UBERX/XL but need to see it it makes sense. I live over by the outlet malls and I can work early mornings (6-9am) Lunch (11-1pm) and evening (7-10pm) I would like to target the business riders that are at the airport but I am struggling with what size car I want to acquire.

I "THINK" I want to avoid putting myself into the UBER-X only category for the car purchase. I also want to avoid the Commercial insurance nonsense etc of Black/SUV (I think uber is trying to distance themselves anyways from that platform)

I am looking at using Mercedes 2013 GLK 250 Turbo Diesel. (wifes newer car...) would put you in line for UberSelect/UberPlus If that happens..

Thoughts?
Before you buy a new car for uber driving, I'd suggest making sure that doing so won't void your warranty

Scott.Sul

You many want to Uber for at least a month before making any significant decisions about an Uber investment. Once you realize that most Uber pax are pretty cheap, and after you do the math to determine if the extra cash in your pocket is sufficient for fuel and vehicle wear and tear, and then you realize Uber can cut their rates anytime... without consulting with you, you might reconsider that investment.

ETPHONEHOME

Hi all,

Thoughts?
Got an XL SUV. Use as both X and XL. So far only get about 2 XL requests per night. Not panning out as I had hoped. Riders like the nicer ride, however has not helped my rating either. If you decide to go XL do not go SUV too much gas. Go mini VAN or Ford Flex. Can get off lease 2 year old Chrysler Town and Country from "Off Lease Only" car sales in Florida for 18K.

SharedRideTruther

Hi all,

Thoughts?
Uber is a risk for many reasons not apparent until you swing the bat for a few weeks:

1) The UBER insurance that DOES NOT cover you or your vehicle if you get in an accident, and YOUR insurance company BETTER know you are a ride share driver, or they will deny any claim. (HUGE ISSUE, not easily discerned by new Uber drivers)

2) Know your expenses. I tried Uber X and XL, focused on surge areas, tried airport, downtown, university, etc. I looked at my weekly payout after my gas, oil, food, etc while driving, and quickly realized I was only averaging 10 bucks an hour, some weeks, that was BEFORE expenses. (SUCKS)

3) Long rides are all that makes sense. Don't get caught in 5 buck fares after 5 buck fares, especially after drinking hours start. You will lose your mind with the lack of respect, low ratings, and net pay.

4) See # 1.

Roll the dice, play the slots, drive for Uber.
Don't forget the odds are stacked in the houses' favor.
Vegas wasn't built on 'winners', and neither is Uber.

sharedridetruther.jpg

Buddywannaride

I encourage drivers to send inquiries regarding the need for higher rates for drivers. My car is worth more than $3 to drive 10 minutes to pick up a rider who's going across the street.

Drivers need to get together and meet and discuss options. It's not worth quitting just yet Maybe there's hope for higher rates. $5.65 min but driver gets $3. That's a hopeless mess. Drunks would pay more I know it. Come on Uber, gas is expensive, miles are expensive, insurance is expensive, top notch customer service is important, happy drivers, happy riders.

Onthelake56

Some of us are stuck with what we have at guber. I laugh at those outside thinking of joining without reading threads from all cities / countries noted here. Continue at your own risk. Refer often to Shareridetruther's #1 and #2 above. Most weeks I average $10 per hour "before" expenses. I am one of those stuck with Uber. They tonight increased signup award for finding new drivers. THERE IS A REASON FOR THE INCREASE!