Think outside the box!

Sorry for the long post, wanted to cover all the details.

Create your own opportunity.

Got a call from my mom, she is turning 80 and does not get out much and is scared to death to go out right now. She wanted to know if I would go pick-up her order at a local restaurant as she was tired of eating her own cooking and wanted something different. Of course I said no problem. We do not have any food delivery services in this area. All the restaurants were ordered closed for inside dining and can only do pick-up and delivery. Of course very few offer delivery.

As I was waiting for her order to be ready I heard several people call and the person answering the phone said no we don't have any delivery.

💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡

I asked to speak to the manager, he happened to be the one answering the phone and taking orders. I offered to do deliveries for them from 6 PM to 10 PM when they close. Said he could not take on any new employees right now. I countered take me on as an independent contractor, pay me cash at the end of each day. He said it sounds like a good idea however they don't have the margins built in to cover the additional cost, especially since they are not selling alcohol which has their biggest profit margin. I countered again and said charge the customer for delivery, I'll do it for $4.00 per delivery and 68¢ per mile. You can easily calculate how far the customer is and we can work up a delivery rate that would cover what you pay me.

During this conversation they had 2 more calls that asked if they deliver and then did not order because of no delivery. I fed him a slight lie and said look I am here to pick-up food right now for someone else they are paying me to pick it up, okay the paying me part was the lie.

I told him put it to a test with the next person that calls wanting delivery, tell them it will be a $7.00 delivery charge if they are withing 3 miles. I gave him my phone number, told him to call me if they want delivery and grabbed my moms food and left. She lives 2 miles away. Before I got to her house my phone was ringing, it was the manager, he had someone willing to pay the delivery fee. I dropped off my moms food and headed right back. In the meantime he had another delivery order he just took. I did both those deliverers and he had two very happy customers and I just made $14 from the restaurant and another $16 in tips in 45 minutes and 12 miles on my car.

When I returned we started working up a quick delivery charge based on how far the customer lives, again where I live it is very easy to calculate that by asking the customer what Mile Marker they live at. We settled on him paying me $3.50 per delivery plus the .68¢ per mile. He does not want to deliver more than 5 miles in one direction. I'll log my mileage when I arrive and when I return from my last delivery by texting him a picture of my odometer. At the end of each night they will right me a check for the number of deliveries and total miles. I also had to fill out a W-4 so they could send me a 1099 at the end of the year.

He is charging $6.50 for 1-3 miles and $9.00 for 3-5 miles to simplify the delivery charge. I think it will average out pretty close to what I am getting paid.

I did 2 more deliveries while we were working out the details, another $14 from the restaurant and $9 in tips.

I made $53.00 in 2 hours and put 25 miles on my car. I estimate my car costs me 30¢ per mile including depreciation so my expenses were $7.50 and I profited $45.50 plus a free dinner. I have an older car that costs me 19¢ per mile, I will start using it tomorrow for deliveries.

I committed to working every night for at least 21 days. If the county lets them fully reopen before then we will call it quits. If it goes longer then 21 days we will come up with a plan if I need a day or two off. They are only running one shift from 5pm-10pm right now and I told him I work 20 minutes away until 5pm-5:30pm. I will call him when I am leaving work to let him know I am on the way and they can start taking orders for delivery at that point.

One thing we did not discuss is auto insurance, never crossed my mind while I was working out this deal. Actually just thought about it while I was typing this out. Guess I'll sleep on it and work it out tomorrow.

Comments

Got a call from my mom, she is turning 80 and does not get out much and is scared to death to go out right now. She wanted to know if I would go pick-up her order at a local restaurant as she was tired of eating her own cooking and wanted something different. Of course I said no problem. We do not have any food delivery services in this area. All the restaurants were ordered closed for inside dining and can only do pick-up and delivery. Of course very few offer delivery.

As I was waiting for her order to be ready I heard several people call and the person answering the phone said no we don't have any delivery.

💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡

I asked to speak to the manager, he happened to be the one answering the phone and taking orders. I offered to do deliveries for them from 6 PM to 10 PM when they close. Said he could not take on any new employees right now. I countered take me on as an independent contractor, pay me cash at the end of each day. He said it sounds like a good idea however they don't have the margins built in to cover the additional cost, especially since they are not selling alcohol which has their biggest profit margin. I countered again and said charge the customer for delivery, I'll do it for $4.00 per delivery and 68¢ per mile. You can easily calculate how far the customer is and we can work up a delivery rate that would cover what you pay me.

During this conversation they had 2 more calls that asked if they deliver and then did not order because of no delivery. I fed him a slight lie and said look I am here to pick-up food right now for someone else they are paying me to pick it up, okay the paying me part was the lie.

I told him put it to a test with the next person that calls wanting delivery, tell them it will be a $7.00 delivery charge if they are withing 3 miles. I gave him my phone number, told him to call me if they want delivery and grabbed my moms food and left. She lives 2 miles away. Before I got to her house my phone was ringing, it was the manager, he had someone willing to pay the delivery fee. I dropped off my moms food and headed right back. In the meantime he had another delivery order he just took. I did both those deliverers and he had two very happy customers and I just made $14 from the restaurant and another $16 in tips in 45 minutes and 12 miles on my car.

When I returned we started working up a quick delivery charge based on how far the customer lives, again where I live it is very easy to calculate that by asking the customer what Mile Marker they live at. We settled on him paying me $3.50 per delivery plus the .68¢ per mile. He does not want to deliver more than 5 miles in one direction. I'll log my mileage when I arrive and when I return from my last delivery by texting him a picture of my odometer. At the end of each night they will right me a check for the number of deliveries and total miles. I also had to fill out a W-4 so they could send me a 1099 at the end of the year.

He is charging $6.50 for 1-3 miles and $9.00 for 3-5 miles to simplify the delivery charge. I think it will average out pretty close to what I am getting paid.

I did 2 more deliveries while we were working out the details, another $14 from the restaurant and $9 in tips.

I made $53.00 in 2 hours and put 25 miles on my car. I estimate my car costs me 30¢ per mile including depreciation so my expenses were $7.50 and I profited $45.50 plus a free dinner. I have an older car that costs me 19¢ per mile, I will start using it tomorrow for deliveries.

I committed to working every night for at least 21 days. If the county lets them fully reopen before then we will call it quits. If it goes longer then 21 days we will come up with a plan if I need a day or two off. They are only running one shift from 5pm-10pm right now and I told him I work 20 minutes away until 5pm-5:30pm. I will call him when I am leaving work to let him know I am on the way and they can start taking orders for delivery at that point.

One thing we did not discuss is auto insurance, never crossed my mind while I was working out this deal. Actually just thought about it while I was typing this out. Guess I'll sleep on it and work it out tomorrow.
And that ladies and gentlemen is what America is truly about.

💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡

✊ Post of the week for me! 👏👏👏❤

It is not so much the money, it was seeing an opportunity, taking the initiative, negotiating, and striking a deal, that started a business deal. 👏❤

A mutually beneficial business relationship.

Absolutely beautiful, it is skill that is good to have. I would like to be more like you!

Now you are considering risks, before someone else even brought it up. That is just as good. Hope you find a good solution.

My question is: Is this your first time doing something like this?

• Article Author Article Author
My question is: Is this your first time doing something like this?
My second time, 15+ years ago I identified a trend of internal theft in restaurants and proposed an independent outside look for restaurants with remote access to their POS system I have been doing audits for several ever since. As corporations are buying independent restaurants this income stream has been slowly fading away for me. Nice thing is I can do this while sitting in my car waiting on ride requests.

Excellent post, @FLKeys !

One thing we did not discuss is auto insurance, never crossed my mind while I was working out this deal.
I'll be interested to hear how it works out. Some insurance companies are more willing to work with you than others, I'm betting.

Because insurance is highly regulated, theyre limited in flexibility, but I'm sure that'll vary somewhat.

God Bless America, and God bless Americans.
THIS is a great example of hustle.

When there is chaos, there is opportunity. Chaos may cost you a current opportunity, but another always opens up. When Chaos happens, there is an explosion causing a lot of damage to current structures and systems, and pieces fly everywhere. But, not all of those pieces are useless.
Keep an eye open, watch for a piece flying by that you can use then snag it.

It's ok to cry about the explosion, be stunned and scared. Sure. No shame in that.
But, eventually, recover and prosper.

I have a neighbor who is a seamstress. She is a great seamstress. Hell, she makes custom wedding gowns that are breathtaking. Not much for her to do right now.
She made a dozen prototype cloth face masks and went to ONE of our local hospitals. They told her they'd buy as many as she could make and she's making BANK right now. She can rip one out in about 4 minutes, using materials that the hospital provided (old sheets).
She said she's gonna hire someone to man another machine she's got -
Will it last? No. But, for now she's phat - and providing a job to someone who needs it.

If you already have ride share insurance you are probably OK coverage wise. You are not taking rides for cash which is one of the biggest no-no's for coverage.

Oh and good job thinking out of the box!

💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡

You Sir, are the epitome of the entrepeneurial spirit. You are one of few ppl (e.g. Besos) who get it. Despite the temporary recession, there are still many ways to make money. You just need to be innovative, persistent and willing to think outside the box to achieve your goals.:thumbup:

I wish more of my fellow Americans would think as pragmatically as you. :frown:

💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡

Your auto insurance likely doesn't cover you. If you have an accident it's your food. Mind you, most food delivery can fall into an insurance black hole as many actually specifically mention it as not covered.

Your auto insurance likely doesn't cover you. If you have an accident it's your food. Mind you, most food delivery can fall into an insurance black hole as many actually specifically mention it as not covered.
My insurance agent came up with a game plan. Works for us, we had to modify out plan slightly. May be pushing the rules a little however we all feel comfortable with it. Will not be discussing the insurance portion online. If you do this talk to your agent and see what their opinion is. And yes food delivery is very much a grey area.

It's working out okay, the more we get into this the less people are wanting delivery, they just want to get out of the house. I am noticing an increase in the number of people driving to the places that are open and placing an order, then wait in the parking lot to BS with other people waiting in the parking lot.

💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡

Stay safe, great initiative!