Think Outside the Box / How I talked to TWC this morning TWICE in 45 minutes

JustTreatMeFair

Think outside the box. I spent last night thinking this through rather than just being a lemming and doing what we are all conditioned to do in dialing the one number given. (Actually I had already used an auto-dialer to call it a thousand or more times just to get busy signal after busy signal)

We are trying to get into a building that has tens of thousands of people lined up at the front doors trying to get in to talk to one of the hundreds of workers.

We need to find the employee entrance. Hundreds if not thousands of people in that building have a phone on their desks right? It's how they call each other as well as how others get in contact with them that are given access.

Calling the number we are given hits a log jam no different than the mass lineup outside trying to funnel through the couple of doors. Tens of thousands of people are dialing the same single number. 1000's of them using automatic re-dialers because we are not the only smart ones after all. The TWC has local branches all over Texas and they all have UNPUBLISHED local and toll free numbers that you can find with a few well worded google searches.

It does not seem to matter WHAT number you get a human being on if you can get past that log jam at the front door you are already in the building and can be directed to the right place or in this case you can be TRANSFERRED TO THE RIGHT QUE!

I got through twice within 45 minutes using the manipulation of their system I just described.

1-800-215-4812 is the number I finally got through to someone on. It is actually a number for Employers to call on.

I pressed 2 to select I was an Employer and then 3 that I was calling in response for a request for information. 4 also worked which is how an employer would report suspected fraud.

When a human picks up be gracious/thankful and tell them you need help with your claim. Act like you do not know you are in the wrong dept.

You are in the wrong dept so he/she will transfer you.

NOW!! You are finally in the right que to talk to the right person.

Eventually another person will pickup. Once again show a little gratitude as they are simply doing their job and are pretty frustrated themselves.

You will be asked for your

Social Security Number
Full Name
Date of Birth

You will now go down one of two paths

1) You have an existing claim in the system that you already know was denied or are about to learn has been denied.

She will verify your
Current Mailing Address
Phone Number
and an Alternate Number

You will then hear what you do not want to hear. "I've found a completed claim in the system for you. How may I help you"

I let her know that I was calling to provide my earnings and information from my different sources of income.

She had no place to record the information. I was told that the Dept of Labor is working with the Texas Workforce Commission to implement unemployment under the Disaster Unemployment Assistance program and once they have it set up information as to how to file a claim for it will be disseminated on the website OR we will be contacted via mail with the information to request information they will need.

She sounded caring and sincere and expressed what came across as a real regret that she can offer nothing else at the moment.

2) She will begin taking information from you no differently than if you were filling out the form online. After a series of basic question you will get to the point where it's time to provide your most recent employer and when it comes out that you are self employed you will hear her typing a little more and then you get told the same as above.

Your initial claim is denied and the Dept of Labor is working with the Texas Workforce Commission to implement unemployment under the Disaster Unemployment Assistance program and once they have it set up information as to how to file a claim for it will be disseminated on the website OR we will be contacted via mail with the information to request information they will need.

I went through both scenarios of this already this morning, first for myself and the claim already in the system and secondly for my stepson

At the moment, getting through to someone is simply of no use to anyone self-employed. They are not ready to help us.

In the coming weeks, if I need to try to call again, I'll do the same but maybe through a number to an office in Kingsville, or Uvalde or...... Get the idea?

I hope this helps.

If anyone gets different information let me know please.

wilsonz83

Think outside the box. I spent last night thinking this through rather than just being a lemming and doing what we are all conditioned to do in dialing the one number given. (Actually I had already used an auto-dialer to call it a thousand or more times just to get busy signal after busy signal)

We are trying to get into a building that has tens of thousands of people lined up at the front doors trying to get in to talk to one of the hundreds of workers.

We need to find the employee entrance. Hundreds if not thousands of people in that building have a phone on their desks right? It's how they call each other as well as how others get in contact with them that are given access.

Calling the number we are given hits a log jam no different than the mass lineup outside trying to funnel through the couple of doors. Tens of thousands of people are dialing the same single number. 1000's of them using automatic re-dialers because we are not the only smart ones after all. The TWC has local branches all over Texas and they all have UNPUBLISHED local and toll free numbers that you can find with a few well worded google searches.

It does not seem to matter WHAT number you get a human being on if you can get past that log jam at the front door you are already in the building and can be directed to the right place or in this case you can be TRANSFERRED TO THE RIGHT QUE!

I got through twice within 45 minutes using the manipulation of their system I just described.

1-800-215-4812 is the number I finally got through to someone on. It is actually a number for Employers to call on.

I pressed 2 to select I was an Employer and then 3 that I was calling in response for a request for information. 4 also worked which is how an employer would report suspected fraud.

When a human picks up be gracious/thankful and tell them you need help with your claim. Act like you do not know you are in the wrong dept.

Eventually another person will pickup. Once again show a little gratitude as they are simply doing their job and are pretty frustrated themselves.

Social Security Number
Full Name
Date of Birth

1) You have an existing claim in the system that you already know was denied or are about to learn has been denied.

She will verify your
Current Mailing Address
Phone Number
and an Alternate Number

You will then hear what you do not want to hear. "I've found a completed claim in the system for you. How may I help you"

I let her know that I was calling to provide my earnings and information from my different sources of income.

She had no place to record the information. I was told that the Dept of Labor is working with the Texas Workforce Commission to implement unemployment under the Disaster Unemployment Assistance program and once they have it set up information as to how to file a claim for it will be disseminated on the website OR we will be contacted via mail with the information to request information they will need.

She sounded caring and sincere and expressed what came across as a real regret that she can offer nothing else at the moment.

2) She will begin taking information from you no differently than if you were filling out the form online. After a series of basic question you will get to the point where it's time to provide your most recent employer and when it comes out that you are self employed you will hear her typing a little more and then you get told the same as above.

Your initial claim is denied and the Dept of Labor is working with the Texas Workforce Commission to implement unemployment under the Disaster Unemployment Assistance program and once they have it set up information as to how to file a claim for it will be disseminated on the website OR we will be contacted via mail with the information to request information they will need.

I went through both scenarios of this already this morning, first for myself and the claim already in the system and secondly for my stepson

At the moment, getting through to someone is simply of no use to anyone self-employed. They are not ready to help us.

In the coming weeks, if I need to try to call again, I'll do the same but maybe through a number to an office in Kingsville, or Uvalde or...... Get the idea?

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. Talked with one of my ex co-workers who got laid off by March 13th, he filed at the same day it seems he just got approved. So sit tight, I guess most people won't see their UI check before may.

AustinSkye

Social Security Number
Full Name
Date of Birth

She will verify your
Current Mailing Address
Phone Number
and an Alternate Number

I hope this helps.

Great info...will pass this on to my brother...thank you.

JaredJ

Social Security Number
Full Name
Date of Birth

She will verify your
Current Mailing Address
Phone Number
and an Alternate Number

I hope this helps.

I did the same thing a few days ago and ended up with the same results -- also, the head of the TWC has been doing FB Live videos. He clearly states about 10 minutes in that anyone who's self-employed and was denied benefits showing $0 is ahead of the curve and should wait for the state to implement the Fed's PUA. I've been doing payment requests even though its for $0 just in case it makes it easier to backdated the claims.

In short, the flow chart available on the TWC's homepage is accurate. Just gotta wait! Hard to hear fi you really need UI to survive.

RobLinn

I used a direct El Paso number I found on Twitter
Used the extension the tweet recommended & when the live person picked up I play assumed I was talking to the regular claims rep & they transferred me to the other call system
Waited on hold for 20 minutes & got through

fixed my app & an hour ago claimed for payment (it updated on the online system)

now I’ll wait to see if I get $$

probably gonna have to call back As they show me approved for $207 instead of 50% of the Max (since my Net Profits was a negative on my 1040 I should get the 50% of $521 state max)

the $600 Fed should show as Texas lists the 1st eligible week for that as the week of 4/12

mom sure I’ll get it sorted out later (likely mid May when things calm down a bit)

looking good for a 3 or 4 month vacation for me 😏

wilsonz83

I used a direct El Paso number I found on Twitter
Used the extension the tweet recommended & when the live person picked up I play assumed I was talking to the regular claims rep & they transferred me to the other call system
Waited on hold for 20 minutes & got through

fixed my app & an hour ago claimed for payment (it updated on the online system)

now I’ll wait to see if I get $$

probably gonna have to call back As they show me approved for $207 instead of 50% of the Max (since my Net Profits was a negative on my 1040 I should get the 50% of $521 state max)

the $600 Fed should show as Texas lists the 1st eligible week for that as the week of 4/12

mom sure I’ll get it sorted out later (likely mid May when things calm down a bit)

looking good for a 3 or 4 month vacation for me 😏
So how's your requested payment? Received anything?

RobLinn

So how's your requested payment? Received anything?
My request was at 12:30am on the 16th online & from what I can tell they take 2-3 days to process it & another 2-3 days to deposit
I’ll wait till Friday before calling again

JaredJ

My claim partially processed and backdated to the second week of March. I was able to do Payment Requests from then until now, but no clue when I'll actually receive it. Still waiting for the $600 FPUC amount to be added but I'm sure that'll come shortly.
Post automatically merged:

wilsonz83

My claim partially processed and backdated to the second week of March. I was able to do Payment Requests from then until now, but no clue when I'll actually receive it. Still waiting for the $600 FPUC amount to be added but I'm sure that'll come shortly.
What’s your pay statement? I knew some guys request last week and came back at 0, but all in comon is none of them received the

Unemployment Benefits Determination

In their correspondent inbox.

wilsonz83

My request was at 12:30am on the 16th online & from what I can tell they take 2-3 days to process it & another 2-3 days to deposit
I’ll wait till Friday before calling again
did you get the unemployment benefits determination in your correspondent inbox? Without that you won’t get anything bc you are not approved yet. One of my friend requested by 9 pm, 14th, she got the money in the bank by the morning of 16th. It doesn’t take long once you are approved.

I mean the payment request receipt. Did you get your benefit determination letter yet?

JaredJ

did you get the unemployment benefits determination in your correspondent inbox? Without that you won’t get anything bc you are not approved yet. One of my friend requested by 9 pm, 14th, she got the money in the bank by the morning of 16th. It doesn’t take long once you are approved.

I mean the payment request receipt. Did you get your benefit determination letter yet?
I received a 'Statement of Wages and Potential Benefit Amount' that qualified me for the WBA minimum of $207 as an IC.

From what I understand for the PUA (DUA), Self-Employed individuals have to email, mail, or fax (1) proof of self-employment & (2) proof of wages. I sent a recent bank statement showing my self-employment income for proof of self-employment and my 2019 1040 & 1040C for wages. That information has to be received within 21 days. Until then, we qualify for the $207 minimum. If we end up getting denied, we have to pay back those funds.

In the interim, it seems as though we qualify for the minimum WBA (weekly benefit amount), which is in-line with the CARES act.
I've attached the Cover Sheet for the PUA (DUA) for anyone that is interested.

Attachments

Last edited:

wilsonz83

I received a 'Statement of Wages and Potential Benefit Amount' that qualified me for the WBA minimum of $207 as an IC.
that’s the one comes after the application. You would have to wait for the other one before they can actually pay you.

JaredJ

that’s the one comes after the application. You would have to wait for the other one before they can actually pay you.
Is that accurate for 1099 workers? For W-2 it makes sense because their wages are in the state's system, but 1099 workers are being funded by the Fed, not the State. The rep was clear that because I'm a 1099 worker my wages won't show up and I won't qualify for State unemployment but because of the PUA and FPUC I will qualify under the Fed for unemployment.

wilsonz83

Is that accurate for 1099 workers? For W-2 it makes sense because their wages are in the state's system, but 1099 workers are being funded by the Fed, not the State. The rep was clear that because I'm a 1099 worker my wages won't show up and I won't qualify for State unemployment but because of the PUA and FPUC I will qualify under the Fed for unemployment.
I think they will still send you a determination to oficially tell you that you are qualify. In the determination letter only says if they would pay you or not but nothing about the amount.

JaredJ

I think they will still send you a determination to oficially tell you that you are qualify. In the determination letter only says if they would pay you or not but nothing about the amount.
Gotcha! The only thing I'm worried about is my last Uber/Lyft deposit was the end of January because I went on vacation for a month and came back to all this. Hopefully, they don't give me grief.

wilsonz83

Gotcha! The only thing I'm worried about is my last Uber/Lyft deposit was the end of January because I went on vacation for a month and came back to all this. Hopefully, they don't give me grief.
hopefully, anyway most of this come from the federal gov.

dssoper

Soooo after lots of digging, I found an email address I tried and received this back... Auto reply but covers it all. If your interested... Long e-mail:

If you do not monetarily qualify for regular UI benefits, it is usually because either you exhausted the benefits on a claim that you filed in the last year, you simply did not work and earn enough wages in the base period of your claim to qualify for UI benefits, or you were self-employed and did not earn wages from employment. Your benefits are based on the wages you earned from employment in the base period for your claim. If you filed your claim for UI in March, the base period for your claim is October 1, 2018 through September 30, 2019. If you filed a claim for UI in April, the base period for your claim is January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019. If you filed a claim for UI, you should receive a Statement of Benefits via mail or electronic correspondence, which shows all the wages from employment during the base period for your claim that are used to calculate your benefit entitlement.

Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) under the CARES Act Federal Stimulus package provides an additional 13 weeks of benefits for those who have exhausted their regular UI benefits, if their regular UI claim ended on or after July 1, 2019. TWC is in the process of implementing the programming to pay PEUC claim weeks, but they are not yet being paid out. If you already have a regular UI claim and exhausted all the benefits under that claim within the last two weeks, we recommend that you continue to file payment requests every two weeks even after your last payment was made because PEUC provides for an additional 13 weeks of benefits to individuals who have exhausted their right to regular UI benefits. Once this program goes into effect, you can be paid for those weeks for which you filed. If it has been more than two weeks since you last filed any payment requests, TWC will contact you once we determine whether you are eligible for additional weeks under PEUC.

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) under the CARES Act Federal Stimulus package applies to individuals who do not qualify for regular UI benefits or PEUC and whose unemployment was a result of the pandemic. TWC has released programming to begin processing the PUA claims for benefits. We will automatically establish PUA benefits on existing claims and provide you with instructions for next steps, but as of today, PUA claims are not yet being paid.

Even though you do not qualify for regular UI, you should file a claim for regular UI benefits since you may be eligible for PUA when it becomes available. While filing a UI claim in preparation for PUA, you may receive a message directing you to call the Tele-Center. It is not necessary for you to call the Tele-Center. Rather, you should provide proof of income in the manner described below. If you have already filed a claim for regular UI benefits and were informed that you did not qualify for benefits, please continue to request benefit payments ever two weeks, so when the PUA is established we can issue payments quicker for weeks on file.

Claimants for PUA with no wages on file will get the PUA minimum, which is $207 per week, plus the additional $600 per week. To increase this benefit amount, you will need to submit documentation to prove your income for the 2019 year. Please submit your completed 2019 Federal Form 1040 AND Schedule C, F, or SE. If you have not yet filed your 2019 tax return, you will need to submit the same tax documents for 2018 along with proof of your most current wages.

You may submit this information to:

Fax: 512-936-3250

Mail: Texas Workforce Commission, P.O. Box 149137, Austin, TX 78714

Email: San Antonio UI Mail [email protected]

JaredJ

Soooo after lots of digging, I found an email address I tried and received this back... Auto reply but covers it all. If your interested... Long e-mail:

If you do not monetarily qualify for regular UI benefits, it is usually because either you exhausted the benefits on a claim that you filed in the last year, you simply did not work and earn enough wages in the base period of your claim to qualify for UI benefits, or you were self-employed and did not earn wages from employment. Your benefits are based on the wages you earned from employment in the base period for your claim. If you filed your claim for UI in March, the base period for your claim is October 1, 2018 through September 30, 2019. If you filed a claim for UI in April, the base period for your claim is January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019. If you filed a claim for UI, you should receive a Statement of Benefits via mail or electronic correspondence, which shows all the wages from employment during the base period for your claim that are used to calculate your benefit entitlement.

Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) under the CARES Act Federal Stimulus package provides an additional 13 weeks of benefits for those who have exhausted their regular UI benefits, if their regular UI claim ended on or after July 1, 2019. TWC is in the process of implementing the programming to pay PEUC claim weeks, but they are not yet being paid out. If you already have a regular UI claim and exhausted all the benefits under that claim within the last two weeks, we recommend that you continue to file payment requests every two weeks even after your last payment was made because PEUC provides for an additional 13 weeks of benefits to individuals who have exhausted their right to regular UI benefits. Once this program goes into effect, you can be paid for those weeks for which you filed. If it has been more than two weeks since you last filed any payment requests, TWC will contact you once we determine whether you are eligible for additional weeks under PEUC.

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) under the CARES Act Federal Stimulus package applies to individuals who do not qualify for regular UI benefits or PEUC and whose unemployment was a result of the pandemic. TWC has released programming to begin processing the PUA claims for benefits. We will automatically establish PUA benefits on existing claims and provide you with instructions for next steps, but as of today, PUA claims are not yet being paid.

Even though you do not qualify for regular UI, you should file a claim for regular UI benefits since you may be eligible for PUA when it becomes available. While filing a UI claim in preparation for PUA, you may receive a message directing you to call the Tele-Center. It is not necessary for you to call the Tele-Center. Rather, you should provide proof of income in the manner described below. If you have already filed a claim for regular UI benefits and were informed that you did not qualify for benefits, please continue to request benefit payments ever two weeks, so when the PUA is established we can issue payments quicker for weeks on file.

Claimants for PUA with no wages on file will get the PUA minimum, which is $207 per week, plus the additional $600 per week. To increase this benefit amount, you will need to submit documentation to prove your income for the 2019 year. Please submit your completed 2019 Federal Form 1040 AND Schedule C, F, or SE. If you have not yet filed your 2019 tax return, you will need to submit the same tax documents for 2018 along with proof of your most current wages.

You may submit this information to:

Fax: 512-936-3250

Mail: Texas Workforce Commission, P.O. Box 149137, Austin, TX 78714

Email: San Antonio UI Mail [email protected]
I'd read this also and emailed my Proof of Self-Employment information to that email address.