Things will never be better for drivers

Jimmy44

We are in the middle of a pandemic and because of the number of drivers on the sidelines things will never be better for drivers.
If Uber is not opening up there pocket book now they never will.
Uber may go the way of the hoola hoop and will become an era like the disco era.
When I started 5 years ago riders we're actually leaving mid level management jobs to drive.
If this pandemic did not bring those days back nothing will.
If I had to pick one main reason it would be the influx of foriegn drivers that Uber brought into this country specifically to drive for Uber.

Jimmy44

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Imagine if all companies said unless we can make all employees 1099's we will no longer be able to provide jobs in your state.
Uber and Lyft won't even pay minimum wages,thats how much they care.
Great point !
If your going to make U/L go thru this why not every other IC who provides a service to a big company.
Does anyone want to take a guess ?

observer

We are in the middle of a pandemic and because of the number of drivers on the sidelines things will never be better for drivers.
If Uber is not opening up there pocket book now they never will.
Uber may go the way of the hoola hoop and will become an era like the disco era.
When I started 5 years ago riders we're actually leaving mid level management jobs to drive.
If this pandemic did not bring those days back nothing will.
If I had to pick one main reason it would be the influx of foriegn drivers that Uber brought into this country specifically to drive for Uber.
Lol, aren't most new foreigners, "people of color"?

The very same "people of color" you claim Pelosi has abandoned?

Or are there different levels of "people of color"?

Johnny Mnemonic

Exactly why cab drivers in Switzerland have a middle-class income. Uber only operates as a conduit for the cab companies, which provide full benefits there. Uber is still banned in Geneva. The Swiss aren't going to destroy their country with repugnant third-worlders like the rest of Europe and the US.
Silver lining of Corona is that the spigot of cheap foreign labor has been shut off finally. But it will have to stay off for years before things recover fully.

Last edited:

ColdRider

observer

Exactly why cab drivers in Switzerland have a middle-class income. Uber only operates as a conduit for the cab companies, which provide full benefits there. Uber is still banned in Geneva. The Swiss aren't going to destroy their country with repugnant third-worlders like the rest of Europe and the US.
Silver lining of Corona is that the spigot of cheap foreign labor has been shut off finally. But it will have to stay off for years before things recover fully.
Maybe you should move to Switzerland.
Post automatically merged:

Ladies and gents, never tick off a mod
Naaa, it's just a running difference of opinion that @Jimmy44 and I bring up occasionally.

There were at least a dozen more but I think I made my point.

Jimmy44

Great reply.
The other thing is they only bring them into sanctuary cities where local govt. will provide programs for them.

SHalester

so, there were plenty of WASP's that wanted to be drivers? Really? Why bring race into it at all. And I doubt Uber 'officially' signed on for any visas to bring anybody here. There was no need to. Why waste the manpower on visas for unskilled workers? Visas don't work that way.
Ladies and gents, never tick off a mod
Yikes, you mean we can't ever disagree with a moderator? OH, no, I'm so guilty, so many times here. When is there consequences? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Amos69

I average over two years $
Imagine if all companies said unless we can make all employees 1099's we will no longer be able to provide jobs in your state.
Uber and Lyft won't even pay minimum wages,thats how much they care.
I average $39.57 per hour, though that is a bad metric for measuring success in this business. No one needs or wants Minimum wage, so lets stop talking about that.

What drivers need is competitive rates! If governments need to regulate then do it the same way they do Taxis! $1.50 a mile and .50 a minute would pay well enough for most.

Jimmy44

so, there were plenty of WASP's that wanted to be drivers? Really? Why bring race into it at all. And I doubt Uber 'officially' signed on for any visas to bring anybody here. There was no need to. Why waste the manpower on visas for unskilled workers? Visas don't work that way.

Yikes, you mean we can't ever disagree with a moderator? OH, no, I'm so guilty, so many times here. When is there consequences? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you read my my post it does not mention race.
I was simply explaining why the early days of Uber we're so lucrative.
Now you can be naive and say that Uber has no ties to people entering this country to drive and that's fine if you want to.
You don't work full time for 5 years without having knowledge and knowing facts that support my case.

SHalester

be the influx of foriegn drivers
um, oh, you really meant foreign white Europeans? Got it.
Now you can be naive and say that Uber has no ties to people entering this country to drive and that's fine if you want to.
Naive to your opinion, you meant to say? Do you have any idea how much manpower is required for visas applications? Any at all? Why go through that for essentially unskilled workers? Explain, in detail, that opinion.

Jimmy44

I average over two years $

I average $39.57 per hour, though that is a bad metric for measuring success in this business. No one needs or wants Minimum wage, so lets stop talking about that.

What drivers need is competitive rates! If governments need to regulate then do it the same way they do Taxis! $1.50 a mile and .50 a minute would pay well enough for most.
You make great points.
What you are asking for is very fair.
Your not asking for paid leave, child care, medical etc. that Ms. Gonzalez wants.
I hope we get what you want but if we don't I don't want them to change Uber so it's not Uber anymore.

Jimmy44

um, oh, you really meant foreign white Europeans? Got it.

Naive to your opinion, you meant to say? Do you have any idea how much manpower is required for visas applications? Any at all? Why go through that for essentially unskilled workers? Explain, in detail, that opinion.
First your first statement about white foriegn workers has nothing to do with what I said. You are interjecting race into a statement that has no link to race.
If you feel that Uber does not have a vested interest in bringing and protecting drivers from other countries then that is your right.
Post automatically merged:

Seems you'd fit in much better there.

Did you stop to think that immigration to Switzerland has nothing to do with how Uber is regulated in Switzerland or with how it's regulated in the states?

Our government dropped the ball on regulating Uber unlike Switzerland.
Really I am trying to figure out what exactly your saying.
Finish one thought then go on to another so I can follow you.
Your run on sentences are confusing.

SHalester

First your first statement about white foriegn workers has nothing to do with what I said
nope. You made a wild statement, full of non-facts and I pointed that out to you (twice).

Come on, did you really mean 'just' foreign 'white' people? Surely you jest.

You also posted that Uber some how assisted them in getting here. Do you know ANYTHING about work visas? At all? I'm thinking right about now you don't know caca. Google is your friend, use it. Pay special attn to what the employer has to do visa wise. Oh, employer; that's a hint. You know visas don't work for ICs....oooopsie.

and it's F O R E I G N e r s

and, btw, it is your right post opinions based on only what resides in your reality.