Things I have noticed back out on the road

Benjamin M

So, I applied for unemployment last week and was denied because I have been an independent contractor for a long time - most recently, ride share. States are struggling to catch up with the changes, including Virginia, and delivery / transportation is "essential".

Out of necessity, I began delivering food yesterday. Made $70 in three and a half hours, today around $100 in around five.

Saw some things that made me chuckle.

People wearing masks alone in their car or riding bikes / jogging with nobody around. There's no evidence that this is airborne, folks. Person to person. But pollen is pretty nasty right now.

People wearing masks with their nose not covered. Know where they insert the swab to test for COVID-19? (Well, technically, nasopharynx). Wear it properly or don't wear it.

Advance Auto, associates think that it's a better idea to handle items brought to the counter and then taking your credit card or cash, pushed back and forth on a cart. Not washing their hands. They've managed to actually INCREASE contact.

And their delivery guy, buddies, other associates? Oh, they know them, so no need to do anything differently. Because it's just "stranger danger", right?

Grocery store. I was standing on the "six foot" mark, moved maybe three inches from it and the associate told me to step back. Then, came around the Plexiglas divider they've put up (again, still handling items, and it's pretty pointless), about 14 inches from me, to say "thanks for not buying more [TP] than you need".

I guess my point is consistency and common sense.

(This was posted on Facebook as well. Guaranteed that my friends working at home or living off of family, disability, unemployment, welfare, etc. will shit on me for working)

UbaBrah

People are getting nasty out there. The amount of dirty looks I got last night just doing deliveries, crazy. There's so much of this "back, foul beast" bullshit going on that people are forgetting their humanity. I don't even want to know what this is going to look like a month down the road.

mbd

Post automatically merged:

Healthcare workers and patients but not healthy :unsure:
I think they want supplies for patients and healthcare workers, then the public.
Masks will also help during the flu seasons👍
Btw- wire side of the masks goes on top and if it is blue / white combo, blue out.

Last edited:

ANT 7

I'm doing a grocery store run at 900 AM................and I'll post back here if I see something. Haven't been out of the house for 3-4 days now.

SpinalCabbage

So, I applied for unemployment last week and was denied because I have been an independent contractor for a long time - most recently, ride share. States are struggling to catch up with the changes, including Virginia, and delivery / transportation is "essential".

Out of necessity, I began delivering food yesterday. Made $70 in three and a half hours, today around $100 in around five.

Saw some things that made me chuckle.

People wearing masks alone in their car or riding bikes / jogging with nobody around. There's no evidence that this is airborne, folks. Person to person. But pollen is pretty nasty right now.

People wearing masks with their nose not covered. Know where they insert the swab to test for COVID-19? (Well, technically, nasopharynx). Wear it properly or don't wear it.

Advance Auto, associates think that it's a better idea to handle items brought to the counter and then taking your credit card or cash, pushed back and forth on a cart. Not washing their hands. They've managed to actually INCREASE contact.

And their delivery guy, buddies, other associates? Oh, they know them, so no need to do anything differently. Because it's just "stranger danger", right?

Grocery store. I was standing on the "six foot" mark, moved maybe three inches from it and the associate told me to step back. Then, came around the Plexiglas divider they've put up (again, still handling items, and it's pretty pointless), about 14 inches from me, to say "thanks for not buying more [TP] than you need".

I guess my point is consistency and common sense.

(This was posted on Facebook as well. Guaranteed that my friends working at home or living off of family, disability, unemployment, welfare, etc. will shit on me for working)

It's now a $1000 fine and up to 90 days in jail to go outside without a non-medical (homemade, bandana, etc) mask on in my county.

The 1918 pandemic had similar mask laws in place in the US.

BuberDriver

as of today our county now requires some type of mask if you're a delivery driver or gig shopper. probably gonna make it worse since no one knows how to use a mask and thinks they don't get dirty

Benjamin M

as of today our county now requires some type of mask if you're a delivery driver or gig shopper. probably gonna make it worse since no one knows how to use a mask and thinks they don't get dirty
Cool. If that starts here, let's see if the people preparing the food and handing it to me start wearing masks.

ANT 7

I just Ubered to and from Safeway, and the driver wasn't masked in either direction. I don't care one way or the other.

Maybe 2 out of the 30 customers in the store had them on. Everyone was doing the 2 meter gap thing perfectly though. LIke ping pong balls with magnets on top. They had arrows on the aisle floors as they were all now one way. Had to pay real attention to the honey do list, so I didn't go back around an aisle needlessly.

Benjamin M

^^^^^^

Driving Uber caused me to purchase and listen to Sirius XM radio. Loved it at first, then realized the vast majority of their stations are 24 hour loop recordings. These are changed maybe every week.
Try walking into a "live" radio station on Sunday, totally empty. Ruined DJs for me.. 😂

Invisible

Some government official just gave a speech on the news wearing a boy scout neckerchief as a mask. It'll get weirder.

Yes, it can get weirder. A voter wore a dinosaur costume to vote in my state on Tues. 😂

BA0A0DA4-2E52-4A17-96C4-6BD29CC52789.jpeg

Benjamin M

Either they omitted the fact that they were wearing masks because just about everyone is or these fine citizens ain't scared of no Corona bug! 😂

Crime is ramping up here. But it's just returning to normal levels, even the gang bangers self quarantined for a minute ..

Invisible

Either they omitted the fact that they were wearing masks because just about everyone is or these fine citizens ain't scared of no Corona bug! 😂

Crime is ramping up here. But it's just returning to normal levels, even the gang bangers self quarantined for a minute ..

Our crime in parts of the city that always has crime still does. There’s been the usual robberies, police chase ending in a crash and murders. Yet the murders due seem to be a little less.

And then there’s this 18 year old guy who killed his girlfriend’s parents. The mom was a doctor. Not in my county but still my state.