1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Things I absolutely adore about driving for Uber

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Uber Crack, Nov 9, 2018.

By Uber Crack on Nov 9, 2018 at 3:02 PM
  1. Uber Crack

Uber Crack Author

Driving:
    UberX
    These are some things that make me just LOVE Uber. They're not to be taken lightly ~ I'm pouring my heart out here. Stay with me ADHD people.

1. How the heck would I ever know when my auto insurance was about to expire? Uber's emails and alerts are a complete life saver. I shudder to think of the scary nights I might have spent in the slammer. I know 'Orange is the new Black' but I'm all about freedom. Make it reign!

2. Hot babes. Total 10s in MY car, voluntarily without a gun to their heads. How on earth? AND when they proposition me! Wait! Read on for a second ~ maybe 'proposition' is the wrong word because I don't mean anything creepy or rude. I have professional boundaries and so should riders (that's a given). But when someone who should be in commercials for Calvin Klein underwear and Colgate says, "So, are you married?" or when a young gorgeous smelling firefighter asks, "Do you ever go for coffee or a drink with a rider?" What?...

Okay, fair enough they're clearly drunk or high - and it's dark and maybe they're desperate or rebounding etc. whatever... Still, wow. It's not even real sometimes. Phew. Where was I? Oh!

3. My beautiful car. I used to drive around in a car that resembled a dumpster behind Mc Donalds, throwing empty diet coke bottles over my shoulder, kids dropping fries from their car seats etc. Vacuum it? Who had time? Car wash? Nah, It's going to rain Friday.

NOW? My car is my pride and joy. It's pristine. It smells amazing (I get compliments ~ a teeny hint of peaches and cream - NEVER a mirror tree, ew) The windows? You can't even tell if they're up or down. Now if it rains, my baby had better be in the garage - filthy sky water. My car is a haven. It's a white Prius but whatever - get in it before you judge. Feel the vibe ~ calm, clean, relaxing, safe.

4. Music. Wow. My childhood consisted of the crackling radio or winding up cassette tapes with a pencil. Many of you won't get it and that's alright. Now, in my car on my Pandora (just $9.99 a month tax deductible commercial free) I can listen to ANYTHING anytime - music that resonates in the very depths of my soul. Dead miles are not as irksome when I can finally listen to that song I've been dying to hear (loud, maybe 5 times in a row, maybe sing along) knowing the riders might not be as passionate about it as I am.

Not only my new discoveries of the classics, jazz, metal, but I know what's popular now with the late night crowd and I dig it! Sometimes I drive into my garage and have to wait for a song to end, or an album, before I go inside. I have fallen completely in love with new genres of music. Uber did this to me and I will forever be grateful.

https://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/11372/10-pieces-of-classical-music-everyone-should-know

5. Cash out. Rich people skip this one. Cashing out is the loveliest way to get ahold of some cash fast. Sure there's prostitution, bumming off a friend, a cardboard sign, selling weed, refinancing your home - but those are just plain embarrassing. No offence to 25% of you. Okay not even JUST cash out, but making some dough on the side for that concert ticket, (Sir Elton John in January) or to pay that "street sweeping" parking fine. Maybe to feed you between looking for jobs. Maybe it's your full time job and you love it.

But seriously now, the amount of times my kids ask me for money with the preface, "Mom, are you ubering tonight?" Let's just say that waiting for a paycheck just isn't always convenient. I dream of a future where all jobs pay you right away.

6. Roulette. Driving for Uber is like playing Roulette. I don't know when I'm going to hit the mother lode. Every ride has the potential to be say 'red 8' and my fat pile of chips are on it. It's a game. I'll do one more spin then I'm going to cash in/out. To be fair, it used to be more like Las Vegas (when the surges were decent) now it's more like gambling on 'pensioner's night' in the bingo room of a trailer park... But it's still Roulette. Just because the payout isn't what is was, doesn't mean I might not get a random decent tip... maybe someone will be just that happy, drunk, kind, grateful or feel sorry for me enough.

7. Russian Roulette. I have faced the fact, every single time I drive I might end my shift wearing a toe tag. This is especially true since I am a night driver. "Don't meet strangers off the internet," said Daddy. "Don't ever get in a stranger's car," or "don't drive now, there are too many drunks on the roads." Any time I drive, someone mentally unstable could get in my car (even from Walmart, with a weapon, maybe say, a machete?) I don't know. So I spin the chamber, take the shot and go get that ride. Okay, fine, hopefully not a body bag (I don't mean to come off as a drama queen) BUT maybe a car saturated in vomit, a contagious disease, a collision, a deactivation. Will this be my last Uber drive ever? I don't know! Day job: Merl? Is there enough paper in the printer? Uber: Do I feel lucky tonight?

8. Uber hero. This is a real thing. I didn't even know about it until I started driving for Uber. Sometimes, you just end up, due to circumstances out of your control, being a hero. I don't wear a cape or anything, but I've driven people back home to get their IDs, recommended a certain strip club or amazing restaurant to out-of-towners, helped people find a hotel or their car at 3 a.m., calmed crying women down, held vomiting women's hair, given people an easy quick alternative to driving drunk etc.

I hear, "Oh thank God you're here!" quite frequently. I may not be in the same ball park as say, those 9/11 firefighters or our nation's service-people... But I am, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a hero. It's pretty cool. I hope you guys realize that you are too, every time you go out there. Keep it real. :)

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Uber Crack, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Christinebitg
      Christinebitg
      It's worse than that! The car I drive for Uber gets to spend the night in the garage, and my older one stays outside on the street.

Christine
    2. RideshareSpectrum
      RideshareSpectrum
      Outstanding read. You touched on many of the driving benefits that keep us coming back for continued abuse.
      Uber Crack likes this.
    3. UberEaters
      UberEaters
      He must work for Uber
      Uber Crack likes this.
    4. Uber Crack
      Uber Crack
      Maybe... Or maybe I just enjoy the simple things in life...
      I can give you a few pointers on things to feel grateful for if you like. :)
      PS...it's a she
      Tarvus and Who is John Galt? like this.
    5. Julescase
      Julescase
      Amazing, as always.

Dayum you are funny - and witty. And awesome!
      Who is John Galt? and Uber Crack like this.
    6. OPTIONCB
      OPTIONCB
      Great article! My wife often asks why I like doing the whole rideshare thing, and she does like that my car is clean!! Plus, if you can not let the 2% of pax that piss you off, the other 98% can actually boost some self esteem or get a different perspective on life. Good article and well written
      Uber Crack likes this.
    7. Milktruck
      Milktruck
      You are a good sort
      Uber Crack likes this.
    8. Kevin Chamow
      Kevin Chamow
      There’s a real issue with how much we all make. I don’t know about you, but I make about 200 dollars in a good day. If you google “the two hundred dollar day,” mine basically comes up. Seriously, if you GOOGLE IT, you will see what I’m talking about. I’m not saying you should visit any sites that come up though, I’m just saying, you’ll see what I’m talking about. #tthdd
      Uber Crack likes this.
    9. Uber Crack
      Uber Crack
      Lol :D @ shameless undercover plug...
      MODS! :)
    10. Alloverthemap
      Alloverthemap
      I'm going to go the non-facetious route here.

1.) You get to control the temperature in your work environment. Right down to the degree. No more bickering from fellow employees about it being too hot or cold in here.

2.) A corner office with a view. In fact, it's more than that. 360 degrees in total. There are places where this is a great virtue -- think New England in autumn. Plus that view moves! Beyond this, the sky -- in and of itself something to frequently marvel at -- is never the same twice, as the backdrop to any given area. If you like where you live for its scenic potential, the delights can be spectacular.

3.) Uber Eats. Not the shitshowvia variety. The fact that an entire region of restaurants is yours. If you make it your business to avoid fast-food, you will be a culinary baseball player. A roster of favorites in every town on the road.

4.) The flirting. The touching. The once-in-a-blue-moon, it's-safe-to-do-this turning off the app for the night and heading home with accompaniment.

5.) Becoming completely reacquainted with your record collection. Rediscovering songs which 30 years ago you would have sworn were brilliant but became estranged from due to time-and-tide (Yes, I'm talking about you here Split Enz). Realizing you were exactly right in the first place.

5a.) Taking the time to make meticulous mental notes (there they are again!) about what your riders volunteered about the music you're playing and turning it into a blog.

6.) Wearing the same shirt two days in a row, because that first ping of the day has a hefty surge attached to it and walking to your closet could be the difference between a unicorn and a cancellation. Should this happen, there is almost literally no social cost involved. I qualify this because of the quite different type of unicorn which might await you. See point #4.

7.) The ability to play by your rules and make up your own customer service standards. They don't say hi when getting in the car? Get bossy and make them fasten their seatbelts in the back.

8.) The beauty of randomness. Pay at the end of the day. Being scattered by the four winds to parts unknown at the beginning of the day. It's all sublime if you don't crave -- and in fact are bored shitless by -- predictability.

9.) Pulling in games from far-flung locations. I know in the internet-era, there's nothing stopping us from listening to a Wild-Senators game from Ottawa, but it's the serendipity of discovery which makes it sweet.

9a.) Listening with amusement and bemusement at the conservative talk-show hosts contort themselves into pretzel logic poster boys.

10.) I.P. Freely. Until I get a citation, that is.

11.) The eight-minute friendships. Sometimes they can be spectacularly liberating, as you find yourselves having conversations you know would never come up with any of your real friends. Particularly when plucking an anecdote out of your past which is relevant to the chat your having. None of my friends cares much that I was once in southeastern Ohio. But a pax might be riveted by that -- and my knowledge -- of the region she was raised in. An eight-minute trip can be turned into a real nostalgia trip.

12.) The absurd, weird, and completely off-the-cuff conversations you have with the bizarros who at least once a day have a walk-on part in your life. This free-form, freewheeling brand of interaction can not only put a smile on your face . . . it might keep it there the rest of the day.

13.) You have 24 hours to choose from to decide which of them you want to occupy with your working day. In however many intervals you choose. You can also take a nap whenever you feel like it, almost always in your own bed if you give it about 20 minutes of warning.

I've got to believe that we all do this gig because when you get down to brass tacks we like it. And it sure beats working for a living.
      Christinebitg and Uber Crack like this.
    11. Pedro Paramo66
      Pedro Paramo66
      Congratulations, you are another Travis success story
      The part that really touch me is the uber hero part
      Lol

Pleasing the cheap, disgusting,demanding entitled riders
      Driving for charity or donations
      Expecting not tips
      Sooooo romantic
      Lol

Driving for charity and donations

This essay is a great self brainwashed and a great effort to try to brainwash others and justify driving for charity and donations and shredding the taxi industry, turning paxs more and more cheap, demanding, disgusting and entitled
      Expecting not tip
      Lol
      Uber Crack likes this.
    12. Uber Crack
      Uber Crack
      Wow :) very relatable and so good to hear like-mindedness. Not for validation but for a kindred spirit connection. I am pleased to hear someone else also enjoying the ride share experience and not phased by the 'haters gonna hate' on this forum. :) Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for your contribution. It's interesting to hear opposing views. Ride sharing isn't for everyone. Any time spent in one's life consumed with negativism is hopefully the first step in turning it around and making changes. I hope you find a career/ job/ vocation you can be passionate about and feel joy doing very soon. We have one life, use it wisely. :)
    13. Pedro Paramo66
      Pedro Paramo66
      Wow
      Are you really passionate driving cheap, disgusting, demanding, entitled people for charity and donations
      Are you really passionate charging 25%of the real transportación fare price and paying 20% to uber
      Thats your passion?
      Lol
      Last edited: Dec 3, 2018 at 10:24 AM
    14. Uber Crack
      Uber Crack
      I have nothing further to add other than what I've already said. Good luck and I hope things get better for you soon.
    15. kbrown
      kbrown
      This is what I absolutely adore about driving for Uber:

16. socializehealthcare
      socializehealthcare
      In order to work for Uber, you don’t have to sell them your mind. They are not interested in your mind. They want you for your body. Listen to your podcasts, listen to your music, and talk to your passengers as much as you please. You don’t have to speak English well or even be particularly friendly or sober if you can be furtive about it. You have to drive a car. You don’t have to clock in or clock out. You don’t have to be anywhere at any time. You don’t report to anyone. Nobody cares if you take a day. Nobody cares if you take a month. Nobody cares if you @@@@ing die. You have to drive a car. And be able to work a simple smart-phone application. You’re not an employee; you’re a contractor. You’re not a member; you’re a partner. You’re not a part of Uber’s team. You don’t have to emotionally invest one iota of anything in Uber. You can talk trash about it on the internet. You can rant about it in a book. You have to drive a car. You’ll be replaced by a robot in due time.
    17. Alloverthemap
      Alloverthemap
      That's as good a reality check as we'll see here. Much to like, much to fear.
    18. Christinebitg
      Christinebitg
      I find that to be true of most jobs.

And a perfectly reasonable and voluntary exchange of your labor for their money.

If you don't think it's a good deal, do something else for money. Most of the whiners just don't want to do something else.

Christine
      Uber Crack likes this.