'They treat us like crap': Uber drivers feel poor and powerless on eve of IPO

Darth Vuber

Wage cuts and inadequate bonuses mean drivers are left behind as ride-hailing firm prepares for stock market debut

Peter: full-time Uber driver for one year in Los Angeles
“I pretty much have the lowest cost of living you can imagine in Los Angeles. I used to be able to afford that,” said Peter, who didn’t want his last name used fearing retribution from Uber. “Recently, Uber cut rates per mile by 25%. Now I’m having to work longer and longer hours in order to make rent.”

Peter currently lives in a small room in a house with eight other people. He used to have some spare money left over at the end of the month, but says that’s gone after the rate cuts for drivers. Peter makes $1,200 a month after expenses, despite often having to work 50- to 60-hour weeks. He’s put 30,000 miles on his car in just the past year, noting that mileage will probably increase as he has to drive more to make the same amount of money he used to.

“I want people to know how powerless you feel when your income comes from a faceless app and when you open it up one morning, things are just different and you’re earning less money and there’s no boss you can talk to, you weren’t told about it, you just see your income is lower today and you just have to deal with it,” said Peter.

UberPrius11

Although I feel bad for most if he really is making 1200 a month that is just terrible. I make more than that part time one or two days a week :o-o: A solid Saturday now is only $300 but that's still 1200 a month (before expenses I know but I drives a fully depreciated Prius soooooo) ?

Subjugator

If I make 4400 in a month my expenses are simple, 800 to 1k for gas. The rest is car and insurance. I'm not sure how he does 1200 50 to 60hrs a week.

Carbuncle

Although I feel bad for most if he really is making 1200 a month that is just terrible. I make more than that part time one or two days a week :o-o: A solid Saturday now is only $300 but that's still 1200 a month (before expenses I know but I drives a fully depreciated Prius soooooo) ?

The car you drive makes a massive difference.

Carbuncle

If I make 4400 in a month my expenses are simple, 800 to 1k for gas. The rest is car and insurance. I'm not sure how he does 1200 50 to 60hrs a week.

The car makes a big difference. I also noticed that Uber really cruels surge drivers, more now than ever.

If your rating goes below 4.85 you see a significant decline in pings. Below 4.8 and it really starts to sting. Any lower and it’s just cartoonish.

I was fearless about my criticisms and filed complaints all the time about dangerous pickups, minors, etc. So Uber flagged my account resulting in far fewer pings.

But I’ve got everything on record.

I had to log 60+ online hours a week to break $1000. But I rarely chose to do that. It’s not worth the risks and damage to your health.

Every driver should be making a decent living with 40 hour work weeks. No driver should be allowed to log more than 65 hours in a week. It’s simply not safe for anyone, especially at these rates.
Post automatically merged:

30,000 miles in a year is nothing. Peter is a part time ant.

I averaged about 35k miles a year but didn’t drive summers as I was a lifeguard. I drove full time when I was active. And I had a Prius.

This industry really needs a serious overhaul. When you live in a state with a GDP of $2.7 billion and climbing (that’s $69+k per person) there’s absolutely no excuse for how poorly moderated this road show is.

CA should be a world leader in transportation and fair employment practices. It has the money and then some. Instead the state is a laughing stock in both regards.

Site full of Uber drivers.... to be expected

And millions of people around the world put their lives in the hands of these drivers.

The real morons are the ones letting this ?show fly.

Eventually, all the data on the number of people killed, raped, assaulted, robbed, and more will come out. It’s gonna be really ugly. Of course, nothing much will be done.

Sad to see the US become increasingly synonymous with some of the lowest standards in any given industry, not just compared to other leading nations but to a lot of third world poopers.

Last edited:

goneubering

I agree. He must be doing something wrong.

Carbuncle

I know. And at lax lot many don't know they need rideshare insurance. Most drive with bare minimum.

It’s bizarre that Uber and Lyft haven’t been sued over this.

When an estimated 80% of drivers have the wrong insurance and no one at Uber/Lyft make any effort to correct for this it’s obvious U/L are at fault for failure to properly inform drivers. An audit would easily confirm this.

The kicker is that both companies fought to prevent drivers from even having the option to get this insurance, which didn’t exist until July 15th of 2015.

I agree. He must be doing something wrong.

Nah. This is easy to dissect.

First, he’s young and fairly new to the platform so he’s likely chasing surges a lot and getting nothing. He’s also referencing his total hours, including deadhead and waiting for surges to hit before going online.

We all go through similar patterns early in the game before ironing out a strategy.

But this proves that the pay is a joke and that drivers shouldn’t have to go through all this mind-f%#*ery to do this job.

The rates should be consistent with for-hire driving standards. Period.

Drivers should be able to just get in and drive in whatever market they choose and not have to sweat this nonsense. As it is now you have to relocate to high demand, oversaturated markets to make anything at all.

On that note, I have no idea why anyone drives in OC, VTA, OXN, SD or any of these deadazz markets. The few times I’ve ended up in them they’ve been a complete joke. The last time I was near Disneyland I met drivers who came up from SD because of how bad that market is. And OC sucks.

Screwing with drivers like this makes the roads far more dangerous for everyone.

Last edited:

zidane00

I’m glad he wasn’t complacent and didn’t inflate his profit/income like many drivers do.

“Even though our survey walked drivers very carefully through a series of questions, their self-reported average earnings came in 35.53 percent higher than their screenshots showed. Meaning, it’s likely that drivers are overreporting what they actually make when taking other surveys.”

LoveBC

I’m glad he wasn’t complacent and didn’t inflate his profit/income like many drivers do.

“Even though our survey walked drivers very carefully through a series of questions, their self-reported average earnings came in 35.53 percent higher than their screenshots showed. Meaning, it’s likely that drivers are overreporting what they actually make when taking other surveys.”
Every guy will always say it’s 8 inches (or more)

Carbuncle

That link isn’t working.