These panhandlers need to give it up

UbaBrah

Silly me for pulling over for all of 12 seconds yesterday between batches of Instacart.

These people are totally shameless. Straight up knocking on the window. Ay mayng, can I get this, can I get that. This dude was dressed better than me and I'm out there working.

The worst part is they don't actually need anything. It's just whatever they see you have, they go for. Cigarette, gum, money, whatever. Like what do you think this is, some rolling free for all buffet?

And of course, no panhandler experience is complete without some garbled, nonsensical sob story about whatever. "I just ran out of gas" or "I just arrived here on the Greyhound" blah blah blah. I hear it probably 100 times a year.

The entitlement on these people. If you really do need help, go to the homeless shelter/soup kitchen, or else sit there with a sign or whatever and let people decide if they want to give. But this aggressive chasing people down in their cars crap needs to stop.

Don't people even feel things like embarrassment anymore? A healthy young man totally unwilling to do anything worthwhile, but happy to cuss people out who don't give him their money. Oh, and he would like you all to know "I ain't shit." Unreal.

Clothahump

The vast majority of panhandlers are doing it because it's tax free money. They're not homeless.

We used to have a guy that worked the corner near my business. He had some serious issues; rickets or something, I don't know what, but he looked like spaghetti. Arms and legs incredibly thin. He'd arrive, work the corner, make some serious cash and then leave. He was driving a car that wasn't much older than mine.

tohunt4me

Silly me for pulling over for all of 12 seconds yesterday between batches of Instacart.

These people are totally shameless. Straight up knocking on the window. Ay mayng, can I get this, can I get that. This dude was dressed better than me and I'm out there working.

The worst part is they don't actually need anything. It's just whatever they see you have, they go for. Cigarette, gum, money, whatever. Like what do you think this is, some rolling free for all buffet?

And of course, no panhandler experience is complete without some garbled, nonsensical sob story about whatever. "I just ran out of gas" or "I just arrived here on the Greyhound" blah blah blah. I hear it probably 100 times a year.

The entitlement on these people. If you really do need help, go to the homeless shelter/soup kitchen, or else sit there with a sign or whatever and let people decide if they want to give. But this aggressive chasing people down in their cars crap needs to stop.

Don't people even feel things like embarrassment anymore? A healthy young man totally unwilling to do anything worthwhile, but happy to cuss people out who don't give him their money. Oh, and he would like you all to know "I ain't shit." Unreal.
Panhandling is Like Uber Drivers.

The Market will be FLOODED SOON !

Last edited:

UbaBrah

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not all panhandlers/homeless people are the same. They all have their own circumstances of despair. Many are mentally ill stuck in a system with little resources. Yes, there are some scammers just like there are in every level of society. There but for the grace of God go I.
Uh what. This guy was very well dressed with a fresh haircut and an expensive backpack.

Ubertool

Compasion to others in life may be what’s holding you back from becoming something better in life than an instacart driver in a time of a pandemic , seems you may be as close to homelessness as the ones you despise , to some others you may look like scum , see how this works?

Another Uber Driver

If I am driving the cab, I tell them that I do not have any money because Uber and Lyft took all of my customers.

If I am driving the Uber/Lyft car, I tell them that I am driving Uber/Lyft, so I do not have any money. I make a point to do this when a Uber/Lyft customer is in the car.

One time, in the cab, the bum dropped sixty-five cents into my lap and walked away shaking his head.

Jihad Me At Hello

My only regret? That I can only like your post once....

waldowainthrop

One approach that most people have with beggars is to treat them as avatars of broader social issues like: unemployment, poverty, resourcefulness, laziness, drug use, homelessness, and so on. I’ve done this myself. But I don’t think we should.

These days I tend to ignore these folks. I don’t really want to perpetuate a society where people beg to work, or beg to survive, but I try to not treat my actions towards them as somehow working for or against the broader social issues that lead to begging. The begging is going to happen either way, unless deeper changes occur. I set my own policy agenda through what I voluntarily do, whether that is engaging with the community, reading a book, working, shopping where I choose, helping others, or even voting.

I feel the same way about annoying advertising. I am annoyed by it and it is intrusive, but there’s only so much I can do at the moment, so I ignore it and think about other things.

I’m not suggesting that we shouldn’t be tough on these sorts of things, nor that we should be entirely dispassionate towards others – I just don’t think how others ask for our attention should be a major driver in how we think about the issues around begging or other kinds of soliciting. And as some other folks suggested, begging is only somewhat related to poverty. If we care about poverty, we should design systems that make being a productive part of society more profitable for people who engage in it, and make the opposite less profitable.

nurburgringsf

The other day I was having a smoke break at the Safeway parking lot and noticed a homeless person about 200 ft away from me walking towards me. Luckily I had already smoked most of my cigarette and stepped on the bud and got in my car. As I turned on my car he was already within 40 ft of my car already yelling "Hey sir, can I get a smoke?"

Lady with shopping cart blocks my way and can't move yet and he moves closer near my window with a look of shock and disbelief on his face.

I laughed my ass off as I drove off. In this pandemic the guy wants me to roll down my window and hand him a cigarette. Dude walked across the ENTIRE parking lot just to ask me for a cigarette.

On a side note, be safe out there guys. There are a lot of desperate hobos and criminals out there.

UberchickATL

The vast majority of panhandlers are doing it because it's tax free money. They're not homeless.

We used to have a guy that worked the corner near my business. He had some serious issues; rickets or something, I don't know what, but he looked like spaghetti. Arms and legs incredibly thin. He'd arrive, work the corner, make some serious cash and then leave. He was driving a car that wasn't much older than mine.
The VAST majority? And you’re basing this on your little corner? Since the vast majority of panhandlers aren’t on your corner, this is a very naive statement. I have experience with the mentally ill community as well as the homeless community. But don’t take my word for it. There’s so many studies that agree with what im saying. There is a direct correlation between the mentally ill and homelessness. Just as there is with using drugs and alcohol to self medicate the physical and emotional pain away. It’s a societal problem that’s vastly complex, which is why it’s so difficult to solve. But you do you. Compassion & understanding are personality traits that not all people possess.

UbaBrah

It actually has nothing to do with compassion/empathy. If I see someone with a sign, I am inclined to throw them a bone. I don't always do it, but I do feel for that person, provided I can tell it's not a ruse - but unfortunately I do usually smell a rat. In that sense, I would say I'm sensitive to a person's approach. Passive is fine, but get in my face and you'll get nothing.

The panhandlers I'm describing in the OP are manipulators, guilt-trippers, aggressive, free of mental illness, and often career hustlers. They know to try and overwhelm their victims by being pushy.

I'm not talking about the legitimately needy - I thought that would be obvious. But then again, this wouldn't be UP if we didn't have people hellbent on purposely misunderstanding the core issue.

sellkatsell44

Homeless pple that usually falls on hard times won’t be up in your face asking for $$$.

those that make a living as a bum but in actuality have a nice condo, suv, etc. will.

that’s how you tell the difference. The fake is loud and will roam around vs the real will be hidden and quiet.

if you want to help the poor, volunteer at a soup kitchen or go to the depths of where the homeless burrows and doesn’t come out, due to shame.

UbaBrah

Compasion to others in life may be what’s holding you back from becoming something better in life than an instacart driver in a time of a pandemic , seems you may be as close to homelessness as the ones you despise , to some others you may look like scum , see how this works?
Good one. Except you know nothing about me, my high, real world income, values, or anything else. Get a life.

Ubertool

You think mighty high of yourself , that’s what I do know , enjoy it until you get knocked off that horse by someone who sees you like you see the homeless .👍

dmoney155

Feed the homeless to the hungry, solve both major problems. Vote Quimby!
Post automatically merged:

Another pet peeve is uber drivers asking for tips... that's like a pan handler on wheels.