These crazy kids

Benjamin M

A couple of nights ago I picked up two guys downtown outside of a music venue. The pick up location was across the street, a closed office space. But I zeroed in on them by the sound of a street performer killing it on the drums - well, actually plastic buckets.

I parked in front of the building (The National, if you are familiar with RVA) and waited. The street performer waved, smiled, and pointed at a couple of dudes. One was barely standing. Fun!

After much effort, the smashed dude was in my car.

Dude 1: "Don't worry, he won't puke"

Dude 2 (hammered): "You sure about that??" ?

Off we went. 20 minute distance, awesome! On the interstate the sloshed dude was laying sideways on the back seat. I'm a stickler for seatbelts and forgot because of the initial drama. About six minutes later, with much effort and concentration, he was buckled up.

Dropped off the tipsy (trying to see how many terms I can use) guy first. His buddy struggled to get him out of the car and into his open garage. Took about five minutes. He tipped his hat after almost falling backwards and his bud said "he's cool, don't worry!"

On the way to drop off the other guy, he said that they were smoking weed earlier (hiding from the wife) and decided to go clubbing. They debated trying to drive, thank goodness they didn't.

Dropped off the last guy, $10 tip. Immediately received a ping. On the way there, a phone began to ring - not mine!

Brought his phone back and he gave me a nice IPA. I reported the phone returned and collected my $15 - was that immoral with the tip and beer?

Oh, by the way, they were both in their mid 60s. These crazy kids! ?

Erin C Banning

not immoral at all :smiles: only way I don't collect the $15 in that situation is if the customer has already given me at least $15 for returning the phone

Benjamin M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
not immoral at all :smiles: only way I don't collect the $15 in that situation is if the customer has already given me at least $15 for returning the phone
Ehhhh $10 plus beer.. Yeah I kinda feel bad. However, he was cool but his friend really stressed me out.

Erin C Banning

Ehhhh $10 plus beer.. Yeah I kinda feel bad. However, he was cool but his friend really stressed me out.
to me, the $10 doesn't count -- that was the tip for the ride, not tip for returning the found phone. Imo, the gray zone occurs when I didn't really go out of my way to return the phone (say, I wasn't far away) -- in that case, I sometimes wrestle with forgoing the $15 especially if it seems like it would be a hardship for the customer (i.e., poor mom with kids in a bad neighborhood). Doesn't sound like this was that kind of situation :wink:

Benjamin M

to me, the $10 doesn't count -- that was the tip for the ride, not tip for returning the found phone. Imo, the gray zone occurs when I didn't really go out of my way to return the phone (say, I wasn't far away) -- in that case, I sometimes wrestle with forgoing the $15 especially if it seems like it would be a hardship for the customer (i.e., poor mom with kids in a bad neighborhood). Doesn't sound like this was that kind of situation :wink:
I was six minutes away and returned it immediately. I feel kinda bad now. :frown:

Benjamin M

You really shouldn't! They are clearly not hurting for the cash, and paying it will be an extra incentive to keep track of their phone in the future. At least by my moral code, you did the right thing.
Thanks. :smiles: Nah, they seemed to be doing okay financially. And yes, I hoped it would be a lesson for them. My next ping happened to be in the same area but I could have been long gone with the pax when the phone rang.