• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

There's NO MONEY in Uber and Lyft!

Uberdriv18

There is no MONEY in Uber and Lyft!

No matter how much you earn while driving, you’re just wasting your time and pushing yourself into debt!

Have you even taken the time to look at how much you’re REALLY earning???? You spend at least a third of your earnings towards gas, then don't forget about TAXES due every year unless you want to go to prison for Tax evasion.

I am in disbelief to see so many drivers killing their vehicle, time, and money for really actual earnings that aren't even minimum wage standards!! Don't you have rent to pay or car payments and maintenance?!? What about food, clothes, or health care!!!
Post automatically merged:

1 hour later, still record highs!

Last edited:

Discdom

For some drivers you are correct. I drive a Prius I get 48 mpg. If I drive 1000 miles a week I buy 21 galllons at $3.50 a gallon so that’s $70 dollars. Not a third. I make about $1500 driving 1000 miles. So it’s less than 5% of my earning. Also I own my car paid cash 1000 miles is 580 dollars in tax write offs (58 cents a mile). It’s only a waste of time if you sit and watch Netflix at the airports or drive where all the ants are

Uber&getfat

For some drivers you are correct. I drive a Prius I get 48 mpg. If I drive 1000 miles a week I buy 21 galllons at $3.50 a gallon so that’s $70 dollars. Not a third. I make about $1500 driving 1000 miles. So it’s less than 5% of my earning. Also I own my car paid cash 1000 miles is 580 dollars in tax write offs (58 cents a mile). It’s only a waste of time if you sit and watch Netflix at the airports or drive where all the ants are
Another ant thinks he figured it out.. ur only doing this because you’re too lazy to apply for a real job.. just like me

eazycc

How about when your car fails?
Or monthly oil changes? Change is required every 5k miles.
Or tires? Easily $500 for all four
Or bleeding brakes/transmission/radiator fluids yearly? (Likely more frequently if you're hard on brakes) $200 each, shop time is pricey
How about shocks/struts? $$$ depending on your car
Let's not forget brake pads and rotors. If you don't want to do it yourself, it's a minimum $200 job for just pads. Otherwise it's price of pads/rotors and an hour of your time.
And hope you have AAA or a tow service handy. When your car taps out, you don't want to shell out another $300 to go to the closest mechanic.

I'm likely forgetting a few things, and there's always the emergency something went bad/ tech f'ed up your car. But in general, the longer you do this with one car, the more expensive it gets as the car gets older from hard use, especially in SF.

And please don't say "I drive a Toyota/Hybrid! ", it doesn't make you immune to these necessary maintenance issues. You might have a point with an EV though.

Most of these things I can do myself, but you're in a world of financial hurt if you don't do these things. And let's not forget the tax bill at the end of the year.

So with all that in mind, how much are you bringing home?

Last edited:

Discdom

I have a reg job. I work 30 hours at a fortune 100 best company to work for. I also drive 40 hours of rideshare. I usually drive fri sat night and all day Sunday. Rarely drive during the week. I used to make 2k a week so Uber lyft is becoming a secondary thing

Wow I’ve owned my Prius for almost two years I get full synthetic oil changes every 10k miles $50 so 5 a year ($250). I’ve never bought new tires. $40 a piece at bob tires by my house. They also do free rotations Have never done any other work in a year and a half.

Uberdriv18

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a reg job. I work 30 hours at a fortune 100 best company to work for. I also drive 40 hours of rideshare. I usually drive fri sat night and all day Sunday. Rarely drive during the week. I used to make 2k a week so Uber lyft is becoming a secondary thing
They must really enjoy your company to be working there. Nowadays even with college degrees , loads of experience, and great work ethic never guarantees a solid career. You must be buddy buddy with the big bosses.

eazycc

They must really enjoy your company to be working there. Nowadays even with college degrees , loads of experience, and great work ethic never guarantees a solid career. You must be buddy buddy with the big bosses.
...Or you self educate, and go where the demand is? How do you think I became a Data Analyst?

Discdom

I’ve never changed brakes. Prius brakes last forever. 100k at least look it up. I have AAA and Allstate roadside so I’m covered. I would have AAA if I just worked a reg job. I pay really nothing to do this. I’m sorry I’m work smarter not harder. I also have a backup car (2009 vibe) so when my car does crap out I just move on till it’s fixed. I’ve been driving for years. Almost 9000 rides

Uberdriv18

...Or you self educate, and go where the demand is? How do you think I became a Data Analyst?
You can work for God and sell AIR but it still doesn't matter. Here's a good article that discusses immoral and unfair workplace practices.

Discdom

They don’t like me much. It’s just really hard to get fired. I get healthcare and 401 K. Why I stay. It’s a easy job. We are hiring. Just go to indeed.com. You will find one in Palo Alto and emeryville

Uberdriv18

I’ve never changed brakes. Prius brakes last forever. 100k at least look it up. I have AAA and Allstate roadside so I’m covered. I would have AAA if I just worked a reg job. I pay really nothing to do this. I’m sorry I’m work smarter not harder. I also have a backup car (2009 vibe) so when my car does crap out I just move on till it’s fixed. I’ve been driving for years. Almost 9000 rides
Quite honestly you sound like someone trying to recruit people into Ponzi schemes or a Car Salesman. Very vague but discreetly admitting you are in fact losing money( driving your car into the ground) and if I summed up everything you be stated, I presume that you don't take this job seriously, have money flowing in easy, all the while continuously using up your resources for driving. Your Prius is worth how much, $3000... $5000? And that your willing to ride it till the wheels fall off. Then take your other car and drive that into the ground as well. All sounds very strange.

John Doeeeeeeee

There's still money to be made and you can write a lot of expenses in taxes. You can also file every couple of years if you need the money. Lot of people file their taxes every 2 years.

Uber and Lyft are on its last legs though. The gold rush is over for most of the gig jobs now. Money is a grind now and a lot of people are definitely losing money and time. We will see what happens but I doubt it will be anything good.

XL is probably still decent. Select and Lux are pretty much dead.

Still make more money then a lot of jobs.

Discdom

Quite honestly you sound like someone trying to recruit people into Ponzi schemes or a Car Salesman. Very vague but discreetly admitting you are in fact losing money( driving your car into the ground) and if I summed up everything you be stated, I presume that you don't take this job seriously, have money flowing in easy, all the while continuously using up your resources for driving. Your Prius is worth how much, $3000... $5000? And that your willing to ride it till the wheels fall off. Then take your other car and drive that into the ground as well. All sounds very strange.
My 2016 Prius cost my $12000 (40k) when I bought it. It’s now worth $9k 120k miles. I sold my 2015 Fit for $10k almost two years ago that I bought for $14k when I started Uber in 2016 so rideshare has cost me 7k in depreciation in 3 years. I will sell my Prius next year before it hits 150k.

My 2016 Prius cost my $12000 (40k) when I bought it. It’s now worth $9k 120k miles. I sold my 2015 Fit for $10k almost two years ago that I bought for $14k when I started Uber in 2016 so rideshare has cost me 7k in depreciation in 3 years. I will sell my Prius next year before it hits 150k. I’m not losing money at all. I prob make $5000 a month rideshare and spend $300 in gas that’s it. Food is cheap if you use a cooler and I can eat at my reg job for free

Last edited:

Grand Lake

It’s just really hard to get fired. I get healthcare and 401 K. Why I stay. It’s a easy job. We are hiring. Just go to indeed.com. You will find one in Palo Alto and emeryville
I bought a Poang chair not too long ago. As I was headed out to the parking lot, I realized I hadn't asked for the family discount (the whole reason I was buying it). Went back in, waited 30 or 40 minutes, then spent another 20 watching "really hard to get fired" example employee trying to figure out how to adjust the price. At one point she showed me the screen to try to demonstrate why she was having such a hard time; I pointed out to her that it was displaying the item with the currency "EGP" (Egyptian Pounds, I kid you not) rather than US$. She flailed around more and finally claimed to have figured it out. When I studied the new receipt later, I saw that what she had now done was to substitute the 25% discount for the full price, rather than deduct the discount from the full price. (Which makes my decision to go for the expensive leather cover instead of the cheap cloth seem prescient.) I've been wondering if there might eventually be some kind of audit process that will uncover the error and try to re-charge my credit card, but so far nothing.

Do you work in an area where you have to listen to that continuous 80's Eurotrash disco Muzak? I couldn't take more than about an hour of that before I would start tearing strips off my yellow and blue shirt and stuffing them in my ears .

Jagaban

How about when your car fails?
Or monthly oil changes? Change is required every 5k miles.
Or tires? Easily $500 for all four
Or bleeding brakes/transmission/radiator fluids yearly? (Likely more frequently if you're hard on brakes) $200 each, shop time is pricey
How about shocks/struts? $$$ depending on your car
Let's not forget brake pads and rotors. If you don't want to do it yourself, it's a minimum $200 job for just pads. Otherwise it's price of pads/rotors and an hour of your time.
And hope you have AAA or a tow service handy. When your car taps out, you don't want to shell out another $300 to go to the closest mechanic.

I'm likely forgetting a few things, and there's always the emergency something went bad/ tech f'ed up your car. But in general, the longer you do this with one car, the more expensive it gets as the car gets older from hard use, especially in SF.

And please don't say "I drive a Toyota/Hybrid! ", it doesn't make you immune to these necessary maintenance issues. You might have a point with an EV though.

Most of these things I can do myself, but you're in a world of financial hurt if you don't do these things. And let's not forget the tax bill at the end of the year.

So with all that in mind, how much are you bringing home?
With the bonuses becoming shitty, and with all you mentioned I did the maths, Got rid of my car, now I got a rental thru hertz for almost 3months now... somehow I'm getting double bonuses and even if I didnt the Hertz bonus is still better for me cos I dont drive much anyway. No car note, no insurance, no registration, no maintenance, double bonus, i dont care if i put 1million miles on the car...best decision I made atleast so far.

Misunderstood Pirate

Wow I’ve owned my Prius for almost two years I get full synthetic oil changes every 10k miles $50 so 5 a year ($250). I’ve never bought new tires. $40 a piece at bob tires by my house. They also do free rotations Have never done any other work in a year and a half.
So I’m guessing your regular job doesn’t pay enough did you actually have to drive people around

Discdom

I bought a Poang chair not too long ago. As I was headed out to the parking lot, I realized I hadn't asked for the family discount (the whole reason I was buying it). Went back in, waited 30 or 40 minutes, then spent another 20 watching "really hard to get fired" example employee trying to figure out how to adjust the price. At one point she showed me the screen to try to demonstrate why she was having such a hard time; I pointed out to her that it was displaying the item with the currency "EGP" (Egyptian Pounds, I kid you not) rather than US$. She flailed around more and finally claimed to have figured it out. When I studied the new receipt later, I saw that what she had now done was to substitute the 25% discount for the full price, rather than deduct the discount from the full price. (Which makes my decision to go for the expensive leather cover instead of the cheap cloth seem prescient.) I've been wondering if there might eventually be some kind of audit process that will uncover the error and try to re-charge my credit card, but so far nothing.

Do you work in an area where you have to listen to that continuous 80's Eurotrash disco Muzak? I couldn't take more than about an hour of that .
I work upstairs been there since 2014 when Obama started free healthcare I remember because up to that point healthcare was free for all employees now only free for Tier 3 (38 hours a week) which is only a small percentage. I’ve never really have to talk to customers unless it’s a company issue