There's an algorithm??

Gibman73

I've really been questioning how well this algorithm actually works. I noticed the more I pay attention the more often I see people curbside or at least on sidewalks looking at their UBER app. It's alway a wonder when I've spent 10 minutes being 3 minutes from an exact spot where someone looking at the uber app is standing without a ping to a pax. Who is the algorithm sending, where are they coming from?? I'm literally right here in front of them, sometimes I even park for a few minutes to see how long it takes. I have seen people waiting 5 minutes more than once. Sure some people are maybe just checking the app, maybe some are waiting for a Black car or other services but plenty of people are standing there waiting for a car that the "algorithm " is sending.

yucklyftline

I've really been questioning how well this algorithm actually works. I noticed the more I pay attention the more often I see people curbside or at least on sidewalks looking at their UBER app. It's alway a wonder when I've spent 10 minutes being 3 minutes from an exact spot where someone looking at the uber app is standing without a ping to a pax. Who is the algorithm sending, where are they coming from?? I'm literally right here in front of them, sometimes I even park for a few minutes to see how long it takes. I have seen people waiting 5 minutes more than once. Sure some people are maybe just checking the app, maybe some are waiting for a Black car or other services but plenty of people are standing there waiting for a car that the "algorithm " is sending.
Pool and Line riders sometimes have to wait a considerable amount of time. Ive had the third pax wait more than 20 min before we finally made it over to them

Silent_Philosodriver

Or you have drivers like me. 99% of the time I DONT pick the pings that I get right next to me when driving, for the simple reason that I cannot park right away to take them, which means, either I park far away and piss off Pax or go around a block (and 'around the block' in SF usually means 3-4 turns and several blocks) to get back to near the same spot, which helps no one and pisses everyone off. So, those pings right next to me I just almost never get unless there is parking right there. Never happens. C'est la vie!

yucklyftline

Interesting........... but I don't know about that strategy lol. I'll pull to the nearset adjacent street and call pax to walk to me. Happens around union square and fidi often. I once had all 3 pool pax arrive at my car instantaneously! Like directing an orchestra.

"It's easier you take the 2 min to walk to me than me taking 10 min to drive to you".

Euius

If they're taking Pool then it's more likely to be matched as a second pickup than the first, that will skip over the car just waiting.

Fully half of my pickups are Pool now, and I haven't had even one single person pickup Pool ride all week. Last night I got two six pickups in a row. Twelve "rides" in about 50 minutes total.

NASCAR1991

If they're taking Pool then it's more likely to be matched as a second pickup than the first, that will skip over the car just waiting.

Fully half of my pickups are Pool now, and I haven't had even one single person pickup Pool ride all week. Last night I got two six pickups in a row. Twelve "rides" in about 50 minutes total.
12 in an hour. Thats a bs

Carthege

I believe the algo is more complicated than closest car. (And I think Uber has some liability for advertising it as such.) I have requested from the rider app when I am 20 yards away on a one way street and not gotten the ping. Did this a number of times. I think there is a revenue maximization element to the algo that minimizes promo fees, or maybe something similar.

Also, yes, the algo should assume a certain speed of car and delay response time to really find the closest driver in major cities.

Gibman73

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes I feel like they want me to "move along" sometimes so to speak. There are some places where it's just much more likely to get a quick short trip and return to the hot area, and I find if I milk this to much after 3-4 trips UBER will ice me a bit and the requests dry up.

Gibman73

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sometimes I'll even walk into the bar and order a coke with the app on and wait for a request. Can't get any closer than that. Look around near the door for who's looking at the app...Lets go, my car is right there.

Euius

I have requested from the rider app when I am 20 yards away on a one way street and not gotten the ping.
They absolutely do block riders from being matched with drivers on the same account.

Did you know that because of PDPlus, if you pay for a minfare ride that you drive yourself, you actually gain a profit? 70 cents, on a 25% commission with 100 rides for the week. Up to $1.55 for a 20% commission with 120 rides. And the minimum fare is the same in EB and SB, so it's all the same all over the bay.

Rider pays: $6.55
Driver earns: $5 gross - 25% = $3.75 plus $3.50 PDPlus bonus = $7.25

You can play it harder and get more with Pool. Attach yourself as a second pickup that gets dropped off first, pay $4-$5, get $2 - $5 plus PDPlus.

Note that that's absolutely and totally fraudulent and will get your account deactivated with no recourse.

RedoBeach

I believe the algo is more complicated than closest car. (And I think Uber has some liability for advertising it as such.) I have requested from the rider app when I am 20 yards away on a one way street and not gotten the ping. Did this a number of times. I think there is a revenue maximization element to the algo that minimizes promo fees, or maybe something similar.

Also, yes, the algo should assume a certain speed of car and delay response time to really find the closest driver in major cities.
I've had a passenger attempt to re-request me while sitting in my car 3x and be matched with a different driver each time. This has happened on at least 3 occasions I can remember between Manhattan Beach and in SF.