The Wrong Rider Took This Trip, Uh-Oh!

I received a request at the mall late at night around 1:30 a.m. I saw one person only waiting for a ride and he approached my vehicle so I didn't think to ask him for his name.

As the ride continued things got confusing when he told me take a turn where the GPS said to continue going straight. This happens often so I didn't think too much of it.

Then I start getting calls from my actual passenger. The first one I ignored but then it finally started to make sense when I started putting the pieces together.

This is the first time this has happened to me...

In the end the guy was cool enough to toss me an e-transfer to drive him home the rest of the way and Uber completely reimbursed my actual passenger.

tohunt4me

I received a request at the mall late at night around 1:30 a.m. I saw one person only waiting for a ride and he approached my vehicle so I didn't think to ask him for his name.

As the ride continued things got confusing when he told me take a turn where the GPS said to continue going straight. This happens often so I didn't think too much of it.

Then I start getting calls from my actual passenger. The first one I ignored but then it finally started to make sense when I started putting the pieces together.

In the end the guy was cool enough to toss me an e-transfer to drive him home the rest of the way and Uber completely reimbursed my actual passenger.
It happens.
I always ask Uber to refund paying passenger.
And , if the accidental rider wasnt scamming, they get a free ride.
My mistake.

Steve B..

I've done it too. In my case I asked the name and he said yes and got in the car. Wasn't his name.... Funny part was the right passenger cancelled and got me again when he re-requested. He was really nice about and gave me a $5 tip.

Now I'm more careful with the names and confirm the destination when I begin every trip

Dammit Mazzacane

Here's how I start trips:
Hey (name)! How's it going? So it looks like we're headed to blah blah blah street over in blah blah neighborhood , let's have you get your seat belt on and we'll get rolling....

If anything of this information is challenged, the passenger gets scrutinized.

I've had that same situation you did where random guy got in the car, etc., and we drove off and then the real passenger started blowing up my phone. It was bad.

Mars Troll Number 4

Also..

NEVER ASK THEM IF THEY ARE BOB!.

Ask them what their name is.

"Are you bob?"

WRONG 1000 TIMES WRONG

"What's your name sir?" is the correct question.

In the early days of uber,

People would actively try to get in other people's ubers if it was busy, and it expect it to work out. Or even just paying cash... People seem to know better now but it's not impossible.

I can't tell you the number of times people have tried to take someone elses taxi they called.

I seriously believe that it is the cause of a lot of "I called a taxi but it never came" problems.

Here's how I start trips:
Hey (name)! How's it going? So it looks like we're headed to blah blah blah street over in blah blah neighborhood , let's have you get your seat belt on and we'll get rolling....

If anything of this information is challenged, the passenger gets scrutinized.

I've had that same situation you did where random guy got in the car, etc., and we drove off and then the real passenger started blowing up my phone. It was bad.

WRONG...

ALWAYS ASK THEIR NAME!

"Hey I'm MT4, you summoned a ride? I need to ask your name to verify I have the correct person."

Some people look at me like i'm $(*%*($, but....

You will get their name, and if it matches your good.

"Are you Bob?"

Well... If they arn't Bob, they can just say yes... now can't they?

"What's your name sir?"

Well if they can guess Bob... that would be kinda impressive.

Dammit Mazzacane

Well crap Bob I'm looking for a guy named Robert. You're not Robert. Get out, dude.

But seriously, I should clarify that I start that spiel after confirming name and unlocking the door.

"Hey, what's your name"
(Name matches)
"Awesome, come on in" (or variant)

surlywynch

I try and make it easy. I ask them: "Which driver are you looking for?" If they know my name, I got the right rider.

Feels less like the Inquisition when asking for their name.

Mars Troll Number 4

Well crap Bob I'm looking for a guy named Robert. You're not Robert. Get out, dude.

But seriously, I should clarify that I start that spiel after confirming name and unlocking the door.

"Hey, what's your name"
(Name matches)
"Awesome, come on in" (or variant)

OK.. just trying to help out LOL...

I try and make it easy. I ask them: "Which driver are you looking for?" If they know my name, I got the right rider.

Feels less like the Inquisition when asking for their name.

That would work to for uber.

I get in the habit of asking names because The taxi dispatch only gives the customer a "Mears taxi 1801 has been dispatch to 1 Jeff Fuqua Blvd."

And since the car has a great big fricken number on it... All i can do is ask them there name.

Really as long as you arn't asking them "Are you John?" it should be fine.

Now what happens when the dispatcher butchers the name so horrifically that i can't match it up with the person who is outside my car.... that $**D& gets embarrassing...

MaximusMurkimus

I never say the rider name now; not when some of these cheeky bastards have names like King B or Princess or just "G". I ask them if they called Uber and they tell me their name; nice and simple.

MonkeyTOES

You don't even need to ask for the name. Just ask if this is the destination and if they say yes, off you go. So many people have the same names to begin with so no point asking. Plus, sometimes friends or family will order uber for others so asking the name is pretty useless.

Merc7186

It sounds like you are really shitty at this....try Ubereats instead.

Cableguynoe

Also..

NEVER ASK THEM IF THEY ARE BOB!.

Ask them what their name is.

I dont like doing it that way. A lot of the times the first person that approaches car isn't the account holder. If Steve ordered the ride but I ask Paul what his name is, he's going to say Paul. Then that's just going to confuse me.

I'll say something like "this is for Steve right?" as they're entering car.
Then just before I take off, I'll say "looks like we're heading to (street or city).

If both those match up, you wont have a problem.

burgerflipper

It happens.
I always ask Uber to refund paying passenger.
And , if the accidental rider wasnt scamming, they get a free ride.
My mistake.
wish there were more ppl like u in nyc forum.

nyc forum, either ur totally oblivious to uber's ills and therefore behave like a normal person, or u hate them and believe this justifies your grabbing whatever money you can get regardless of such concepts as stealing and decency

Grahamcracker

I dont like doing it that way. A lot of the times the first person that approaches car isn't the account holder. If Steve ordered the ride but I ask Paul what his name is, he's going to say Paul. Then that's just going to confuse me.

I'll say something like "this is for Steve right?" as they're entering car.
Then just before I take off, I'll say "looks like we're heading to (street or city).

If both those match up, you wont have a problem.
I just ask, " what is the name on the account".

Attachments

• 248in8.jpg
    248in8.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 48

Mars Troll Number 4

Canadia...

That's about $200 USD.

Most of the US can't get that many trips per hour either.

Takes about half an hour beginning to end to clear a minimum trip in a lot of places down here. You got 23 trips in 9 hours..

Last edited: