The Woes of Temporary Companionship

pedalbite

Does anyone else notice a personal affect from the people who you meet, get to know, and bid farewell- to never hear from them again?

Personally, I find it easy to connect with my clients. I have many good insightful conversations and instant friendships that abruptly end, obviously, as soon as the trip is over. No big deal on an individual basis, but the repeated occurance of connecting and disconnecting is affecting me... Not sure if it's good or bad, but it's apparent.

For instance, it's great having these conversations in the moment. Then when it's over, I feel like my emotion changes for the worse. The longer I drive, the less I care about people... A few days off and the pattern starts over.

Just curious if any of you guys have a similar experience...?

UberMeansSuper

Yeah, there are some pax that you wish you'd get to meet again.

Just human connections you make. It's kinda one of the cool things about this gig (if you're a people person, of course -- if not, IDK why you'd drive in the first place).

I wouldn't say I get attached, though. But I do wish they'd stay and maybe get coffee and talk about how their Uber experiences as a pax differ from mine as a driver.

Firstime

I'm a military dependent brat from childhood to adulthood so I'm used to people coming in and out of my life and vice versa.It's given me the ability to instantly make others feel comfortable and at peace. I'm also "myself"without the facade,bc I've learned time is short,and where it takes most people yrs to form deep and meaningful relationships, I seem to do it in months. I don't see it the way you do but I can understand. I still think its,neat that this job let's you cross paths with people you'd never have the pleasure (or displeasure) of otherwise meeting.

Chicago88

The longer I drive, the less I care about people... A few days off and the pattern starts over.

Interesting question.... I just now noticed I'm beginning to care less about my Uber passengers. I don't have an angry agnst for them, I just don't get as excited as I used to when I first started driving. I still meet interesting friendly cool people but now I'm always ready to say "see you later" and forget about them. I've always been a friendly guy interested in who people but now I'm finding these 3-10 minute friendships are to easily disposal...my faith in humanity is a little less because of it. Taking a break helps me as well, I've done less than 10 trips over 6 weeks and felt re-energized after doing so.

LondonONTdriver

I wish the pax would keep their traps shut during the ride. A partition between front and rear would be ideal. I noticed cabbies in my city use ear pieces and speak to each other in their foreign language to pressure pax into not speaking to them. It's a great idea!!

Firstime

I wish the pax would keep their traps shut during the ride. A partition between front and rear would be ideal. I noticed cabbies in my city use ear pieces and speak to each other in their foreign language to pressure pax into not speaking to them. It's a great idea!!
I don't mind the talking. I get enough quiet in between pax. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't somewhat like ppl and conversation.

Oscar Levant

Does anyone else notice a personal affect from the people who you meet, get to know, and bid farewell- to never hear from them again?

Personally, I find it easy to connect with my clients. I have many good insightful conversations and instant friendships that abruptly end, obviously, as soon as the trip is over. No big deal on an individual basis, but the repeated occurance of connecting and disconnecting is affecting me... Not sure if it's good or bad, but it's apparent.

For instance, it's great having these conversations in the moment. Then when it's over, I feel like my emotion changes for the worse. The longer I drive, the less I care about people... A few days off and the pattern starts over.

The short answer is, no I never noticed. Every great once in awhile I'll encounter someone in my head I'm thinking I wouldn't mind knowing this person and befriending them but I never take it further than that because of the simple fact they are clients and they are probably not thinking of me similarly and I don't want to intrude or endanger my job.

If it really affects you you might be in the wrong profession.

tohunt4me

Want to make it even worse ?
Go to bar where they hang out .
They won't recognize you.
If you bring it up ,they will be non plussed at best.
No more " connection" or " titillating conversation".

You get the same " connection " conversation that they would have in a holding cell in jail, or trapped in a broken elevator.

Enjoy the " moments" , but recognize them for what they are.

You are merely an insight to a laymen's life.

( I.E.: see also ; making the best of a situation.)

tohunt4me

What foreign language should we learn ?