• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The unexpected unwakeable

I had an unwakeable last night.

Half way through the night, close to bar rush, I get a fare at a house pick up. Pax was toes on curb. I think she literally walked to sidewalk, and stood there the whole 2 minutes it took me to drive to her.

I pull up, but stop 20 feet short. Let her walk to me. It is that time of night were I am in full cautious mode. I carefully watch her as she walks toward the car. Pax is in her 20’s. No staggering, totally normal behavior... she could pass as sober. She gets in, I tell her my name, ask for hers. I start trip, confirm address, and ask her how her night's going, and we roll.

She makes a phone call, and I zoom out on maps, to make sure I agree with the suggested route, and to see if there was a way to longhaul. There was a route with same time, but slightly more miles. It would have taken us the opposite direction an additional mile. I decided it wasn’t worth the extra $1, to possibly scare her. Up to this point, the run was routine and perfect.

She says on the phone, “Don’t fall asleep, Mom.” I think that’s odd, but none of my business. The ride continued in silence. The whole evening, nobody was a talker. Fine with me. Drive 10 mins in silence.

I pull up to the destination, which was an apartment. Gates are shut, so as I roll down window, I ask “do you have a gate code?” No response. I turn around and see she’s passed out. “Hey! Wake up! We’re here.” Nothing. “Oh, shit,” I muttered out loud. I take the ‘Future Resident’ parking spot by the office. I did not see this coming. Almost always, a pax who won’t wake up, was a staggering drunk to start with. The ones that you were better off canceling.

I tried yelling, lights, shaking the car. Nothing. She is breathing fine. She’s wearing short shorts, and phone was in her lap, purse at her side. Not going to touch her. I decide to give it a minute, try again, and then I’ll call emergency services. I’ve been through this before. I’m pacing, while planning how this is going to go down. The apartment parking lot is tiny. The fleet of police cars, ambulance, fire truck, isn’t even going to fit. There is a giant lit empty parking lot across the street though...

For some reason, I decided to call her phone through the app first. Nothing else working anyway. Instead of the pax phone ringing, someone else answered! Surprised, I tell the account holder, her friend passed out. Turns out the acount holder who sent a ride for the pax, was at the pickup house that we started at. Now my pax has a new name. The apt was actually her parents house. Sweet, it doesn’t get any better than this. Very convenient and an ideal resolution. Let her own mom wake her up. Parent’s walk down and they had to shake her for 2 mins to wake her.

Both mom and account holder (on the phone) thanked me for not shaking the pax myself. Account holder “promised to tip me big in the app.” I hang up, close the trip, and the account holder tipped double my cut of the fare.

Sometimes, even using every precaution, things still go wrong. Even then, if you make the right decisions, it sometimes is worth it in the end.

Last edited:

Comments

Rog’O Datto

Half way through the night, close to bar rush, I get a fare at a house pick up. Pax was toes on curb. I think she literally walked to sidewalk, and stood there the whole 2 minutes it took me to drive to her.

I pull up, but stop 20 feet short. Let her walk to me. It is that time of night were I am in full cautious mode. I carefully watch her as she walks toward the car. Pax is in her 20’s. No staggering, totally normal behavior... she could pass as sober. She gets in, I tell her my name, ask for hers. I start trip, confirm address, and ask her how her night's going, and we roll.

She makes a phone call, and I zoom out on maps, to make sure I agree with the suggested route, and to see if there was a way to longhaul. There was a route with same time, but slightly more miles. It would have taken us the opposite direction an additional mile. I decided it wasn’t worth the extra $1, to possibly scare her. Up to this point, the run was routine and perfect.

She says on the phone, “Don’t fall asleep, Mom.” I think that’s odd, but none of my business. The ride continued in silence. The whole evening, nobody was a talker. Fine with me. Drive 10 mins in silence.

I pull up to the destination, which was an apartment. Gates are shut, so as I roll down window, I ask “do you have a gate code?” No response. I turn around and see she’s passed out. “Hey! Wake up! We’re here.” Nothing. “Oh, shit,” I muttered out loud. I take the ‘Future Resident’ parking spot by the office. I did not see this coming. Almost always, a pax who won’t wake up, was a staggering drunk to start with. The ones that you were better off canceling.

I tried yelling, lights, shaking the car. Nothing. She is breathing fine. She’s wearing short shorts, and phone was in her lap, purse at her side. Not going to touch her. I decide to give it a minute, try again, and then I’ll call emergency services. I’ve been through this before. I’m pacing, while planning how this is going to go down. The apartment parking lot is tiny. The fleet of police cars, ambulance, fire truck, isn’t even going to fit. There is a giant lit empty parking lot across the street though...

For some reason, I decided to call her phone through the app first. Nothing else working anyway. Instead of the pax phone ringing, someone else answered! Surprised, I tell the account holder, her friend passed out. Turns out the acount holder who sent a ride for the pax, was at the pickup house that we started at. Now my pax has a new name. The apt was actually her parents house. Sweet, it doesn’t get any better than this. Very convenient and an ideal resolution. Let her own mom wake her up. Parent’s walk down and they had to shake her for 2 mins to wake her.

Both mom and account holder (on the phone) thanked me for not shaking the pax myself. Account holder “promised to tip me big in the app.” I hang up, close the trip, and the account holder tipped double my cut of the fare.

Sometimes, even using every precaution, things still go wrong. Even then, if you make the right decisions, it sometimes is worth it in the end.
D55220BF-7F9E-4372-9ACF-60A5FAFC7490.jpeg

Mkang14

You handled the whole thing great! reminded me of pic above as well 😂 💊💉

oleole20

I hope you have a dashcam. Incident like this may save your life.

Ssgcraig

Good story. New Years Eve I had a drunk 20 something pour herself into my front seat. Decent trip, but she passed out almost immediately. Get to the destination, she will not wake up. I'm not touching her, do some shaking of the vehicle. Finally she wakes up, I tell her we are here. I ask her if this is her house, she gets out and walks to the door. It's 10 degrees out and of course 20 year olds don't wear the appropriate clothing. Just needed to make sure she got in the house before leaving so she wouldn't freeze.

cumonohito

I had a similar experience in my early days. Picked up 2 ladies that had done the Chicago Marathon, and afterwards they went celebrating, carb loading. They where very chatty among themselves, but didn't seem to be drunk, it was a 15 minute or so ride outside the city. As I arrived destination, both of them are completely zonked out. I turned up the radio, knocked on the window, nothing. I thought of taking them to the local police station or hospital. Lucky for me one of their room mates noticed what was going and came towards the car. She identify both of them and assisted in getting them up. They where completely exhausted and had to be held by their room mate to get out of the car.

R3drang3r

Nicely done. Who says going the extra mile doesn't pay?

SurgeMasterMN

Red

Had a mutant unwakable experience some years ago: I've managed to wake up a drunk but he insisted on sleeping in my car instead of walking up the driveway to the house. There were multiple getting outs and returns including running around the car and racing to the back door occurrences. Ended up calling cops on him. That worked but he had to explain himself to the officer that knocked on the door of the house few minutes after he got in. The guy called to apologize next morning. Because he left his company's blackberry in the car. Ugh.