The Uber Plan revisited

TahoeAl

Uber threw a lot of money at drivers in the early stages. “Do xx trips of any type and we will pay you more money” (Let me get your attention)

Uber divide its drivers into groups based on driver patterns/data. (Who do we have working for us)

Different incentives are sent to groups in an effort to modify behavior; Boost group needs to driver more; Hourly drivers need to improve performance (behavior modification)

Uber analysis data on driver groups, payouts, income, driving patterns based on incentives (Data analysis)

Uber refines incentive map based on data (profit and service optimization)

Uber is still in the profit and service optimization phase.

So the only questions remaining, are: How quickly will drivers return to the pre-incentive habits; And at what level can incentives be removed before we lose the incentive effect.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

UberSaur

Uber threw a lot of money at drivers in the early. “Do xx trips of any type and we will pay you more money” (Let me get your attention)

Uber divide its drivers into groups based on driver patterns/data. (Who do we have working for us)

Different incentives are sent to groups in an effort to modify behavior; Boost group needs to driver more; Hourly drivers need to improve performance (behavior modification)

Uber analysis data on driver groups, payouts, income, driving patterns based on incentives (Data analysis)

So the only questions remaining, are: How quickly will drivers return to the pre-incentive habits; And at what level can incentives be removed before we lose the incentive effect.

Did I miss anything?
I believe that drivers will drive a lot less when the metals subside. Uber has painted itself into a corner, now it's stuck. Demand will not be met adequately by a novice supply of replacement drivers. Service will deteriorate. All drivers are not created equal and the best ones are already gone or on their way out.

Last edited:

nutzareus

I had a customer who commented about my clean car. Um, I haven't washed it in two weeks at least, and about that long since I vacuumed really good. I have a bench seat cover and rubber floor mats in the back that I shake out on a daily basis. What are drivers driving these days? Garbage trucks??

CantThrowCantCatch

Uber created a short term solution for it to stop surging so much and get a lot of drivers on the road. But as the promotions continue to get lower less drivers will drive. We all knew there was no way uber could continue to pay thousands of drivers 2.0x-2.4x for up to 60-7o hours a week.

The boost promo was a lot better than waiting for it to surge then going out to drive. We may get good promos again once the summer is over.

I don't see the rates going up more than a quarter/mile if they do since gas prices have started to come back down.

My guess is driver-less cars are coming sooner than we expect.

HERR_UBERMENSCH

Uber created a short term solution for it to stop surging so much and get a lot of drivers on the road. But as the promotions continue to get lower less drivers will drive. We all knew there was no way uber could continue to pay thousands of drivers 2.0x-2.4x for up to 60-7o hours a week.

The boost promo was a lot better than waiting for it to surge then going out to drive. We may get good promos again once the summer is over.

I don't see the rates going up more than a quarter/mile if they do since gas prices have started to come back down.

Your guess is wrong, driverless cars are way, way down the road. Tesla can't even get semi-autonomous cars to stop crashing, what will happen when they take the driver out of the equation? Government regulations don't even allow fully autonomous vehicles on the road without someone at the controls and likely won't for decades to come. Keep dreaming.

kbrown

Uber threw a lot of money at drivers in the early stages. “Do xx trips of any type and we will pay you more money” (Let me get your attention)

Did I miss anything?
Yes. You missed quite a bit.

Uber has boost people, which arose from people who performed well during that pre-Easter weekend when they did multipliers for a couple of weeks. Plus, if you drive a lot, as in full time- say roughly, 35+ hours per week, you were put on boost. Nearly everyone else, mostly part time drivers and those who failed the little experiment, were put on hourly. I confirmed that little tidbit of info at Forrestville.

They are effing with us. How far can they push us before we break? How small the incentives? How low the boost?

UberSolo

Bill Gates stated Driverless cars will poliferate in 5 years. He continued by saying Uber will be the one to roll them out.
Mercedes has a driverless bus running around , google it

Uber High Technology Center in Pittsburgh in cooperation with Carnegie Mellon University Robotic dept. and U of Arizona School of Optics has several driverless cars running around Pitt.
"MCITY" in Michigan. google it
Google has their driverless cars running around No Cal.

It's coming fast. Fares will be less than current Pool. Millennials Love Technology.

I remember in 1988 Bill Gates stated that future Retail sales will be done online. I thought he was nuts.
Everybody likes going to the stores, the experience etc.
Today I can't remember the last time i step foot in a store much less a mall.

Technology is Linear, You can't stop it.

State all your reasons why driverless cars won't happen soon and you'd be wrong on all levels.

Honesty Who Cares? Uber's a Gig not a career .

Last edited:

CantThrowCantCatch

My whole point of mentioning driver-less cars is that they'll have to keep giving us good promos or surge a lot to keep a bunch of drivers on the road and they don't seem to want that.

nutzareus

Driverless cars will not work downtown. It wouldn't even move at all with all of the dangers present. Ever have a pedestrian or cyclist who does not give a flick and just cuts in front of you? Sure it's OK in the suburbs, not anytime soon in dense urban settings.

nutzareus

If I was a pedestrian I would challenge a driverless car. Currently it will supposedly do anything to avoid a collision. Try that with a salty cab or Uber driver. I would end up kissing the windshield.

Papa Sarducci

Driverless cars will not work downtown. It wouldn't even move at all with all of the dangers present. Ever have a pedestrian or cyclist who does not give a flick and just cuts in front of you? Sure it's OK in the suburbs, not anytime soon in dense urban settings.
I want to see a driverless car take on NYC, what a joke that will be.

Papa Sarducci

Bill Gates stated Driverless cars will poliferate in 5 years. He continued by saying Uber will be the one to roll them out.
Mercedes has a driverless bus running around , google it

Uber High Technology Center in Pittsburgh in cooperation with Carnegie Mellon University Robotic dept. and U of Arizona School of Optics has several driverless cars running around Pitt.
"MCITY" in Michigan. google it
Google has their driverless cars running around No Cal.

It's coming fast. Fares will be less than current Pool. Millennials Love Technology.

I remember in 1988 Bill Gates stated that future Retail sales will be done online. I thought he was nuts.
Everybody likes going to the stores, the experience etc.
Today I can't remember the last time i step foot in a store much less a mall.

Technology is Linear, You can't stop it.

State all your reasons why driverless cars won't happen soon and you'd be wrong on all levels.

Honesty Who Cares? Uber's a Gig not a career .
Sure, you might see them in 5 years, in select areas kept safely away from cars with drivers. It will be 10-15 before there will be enough on the road to make an impact, Uber won't even exist as it is today in 5.

New2This

Or the dipshits with their noses buried in their phones oblivious to the world as they chase the Pokemon.

Connecticut Avenue and K street at 5:15 P.M. on a Friday afternoon. Driverless car would be there for hours trying to get through the pedestrians and cars.

Nice to see the troll known as Downtown Julie Brown and 'her' 12 aliases are still around.

TahoeAl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I believe that drivers will drive a lot less when the metals subside. Uber has painted itself into a corner, now it's stuck. Demand will not be met adequately by a novice supply of replacement drivers. Service will deteriorate. All drivers are not created equal and the best ones are already gone or on their way out.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

There are a lot of people on vacation. So demand is down.

It appears that Uber switched a lot of drivers to Boost this week, which may only increases the competition between drivers for pings. OR was it to replace the drivers that went back into retirement because of lower incentives. Or Both?

TahoeAl

Yes. You missed quite a bit.

Uber has boost people, which arose from people who performed well during that pre-Easter weekend when they did multipliers for a couple of weeks. Plus, if you drive a lot, as in full time- say roughly, 35+ hours per week, you were put on boost. Nearly everyone else, mostly part time drivers and those who failed the little experiment, were put on hourly. I confirmed that little tidbit of info at Forrestville.

They are effing with us. How far can they push us before we break? How small the incentives? How low the boost?
I am not sure, but it appears that we may be saying the same thing. Uber has multiple goal in any plan.

So if those that failed to respond to the early incentives where placed on hourly; then that would make them "Uber reserve drivers"; which could be true based on some of the complaints registered by hourly drivers on this board.

TahoeAl

My whole point of mentioning driver-less cars is that they'll have to keep giving us good promos or surge a lot to keep a bunch of drivers on the road and they don't seem to want that.
Driver-less cars will be available before my Jetson's flying car. But, let's focus on the next few months. For those who were around last August, was it very slow?

New2This

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

There are a lot of people on vacation. So demand is down.

It appears that Uber switched a lot of drivers to Boost this week, which may only increases the competition between drivers for pings. OR was it to replace the drivers that went back into retirement because of lower incentives. Or Both?
With no offense to the people that were on hourly (they were using the system Uber put in place), I'm not surprised they did away with hourly. People bragged on here about getting +$150 for 5 trips in a day. It was a loss for Uber.

Boost, while also a money loser to an extent, at least the driver was productive and Uber got the ancillary fees (that, of course, are not tips) it loves so much.

If this is the end of Incentives, I will be done. 1.8X is my minimum. Looking at payouts for trips, the Boost makes it abundantly clear that base rates are not worth it.

I'm glad this isn't my primary means of support.

TahoeAl

I am not trying to offend hour drivers, I think that Uber may be holding these driver in reserve, to be used when the boost driver become burned-out; to have ready replacements.