The UBER GPS sends me all back roads, will be useless in winter

Retired Senior

Hi guys. The past week I have been driving a lot of Sacred Heart University students to popular eateries in Fairfield. The UBER GPS consistently sends me thru mind numbing courses involving small suburban roads where you need to crawl because of the kids and pets walking around.

Yesterday I had 2 girls in the car and drove them to The Brick Walk in Fairfield, on Fairfield Ave. They did not know the area and asked me to use the GPS... one of them used her own GPS at the same time! It took forever to get to the destination. I pointed out to them that instead of taking 20 small winding roads we could have simply driven down Park Ave to Fairfield Ave, made a right and then a straight 10 miles to their restaurant. The GPS may have been a shorter ride mileage wise but it certainly took at least 10 minutes longer.

And it made me wonder.... Winter in Connecticut. Snow on the ground. Small streets nor plowed for days if at all. Is the UBER GPS going to suggest the same back roads or do the routes change at a certain date... In other words, do the geniuses at headquarters have algorithms that take a foot of snow into account or will I be on my own?

tohunt4me

Hi guys. The past week I have been driving a lot of Sacred Heart University students to popular eateries in Fairfield. The UBER GPS consistently sends me thru mind numbing courses involving small suburban roads where you need to crawl because of the kids and pets walking around.

Yesterday I had 2 girls in the car and drove them to The Brick Walk in Fairfield, on Fairfield Ave. They did not know the area and asked me to use the GPS... one of them used her own GPS at the same time! It took forever to get to the destination. I pointed out to them that instead of taking 20 small winding roads we could have simply driven down Park Ave to Fairfield Ave, made a right and then a straight 10 miles to their restaurant. The GPS may have been a shorter ride mileage wise but it certainly took at least 10 minutes longer.

And it made me wonder.... Winter in Connecticut. Snow on the ground. Small streets nor plowed for days if at all. Is the UBER GPS going to suggest the same back roads or do the routes change at a certain date... In other words, do the geniuses at headquarters have algorithms that take a foot of snow into account or will I be on my own?
Uber hates us and is trying to kill us all through bad GPS & starvation.
Robots will rule

Retired Senior

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
New Question: Waze claims to be software that is continually modified by users experience. Does this mean that - come winter and icey roads - I should switch to Waze? If so, I had best start becoming comfortable with it now.

Janice, I spent the last 5 years in front of a large desktop.... And I was not studying maps! I never drove around simply to drive around... A lot of these popular pick up places (and I mean dorm addresses) as well as the destinations are new to me. I need to rely on the apps right now for much of the traffic.

tohunt4me

New Question: Waze claims to be software that is continually modified by users experience. Does this mean that - come winter and icey roads - I should switch to Waze? If so, I had best start becoming comfortable with it now.

Janice, I spent the last 5 years in front of a large desktop.... And I was not studying maps! I never drove around simply to drive around... A lot of these popular pick up places (and I mean dorm addresses) as well as the destinations are new to me. I need to rely on the apps right now for much of the traffic.
WazE shows speed traps,traffic cams,redlight cams,accidents ,and road closures. Uber does not show roads that have been closed for 6 months . I once added a state trooper hiding to the Waze map,he followed me for 15 miles. I guess some of them run waze also ?

beerman2016

I learned after about a month to never use Uber GPS. I like Google Maps if I'm mainly going to be doing city driving. I use Waze for highway driving. None of them are standouts. The one good thing about Waze is it will update with a faster route do to traffic and such. Good luck!

Danatee

Use waze. It is user reported, meaning, you can see something to report to the other users such as a cop, pothole, car on the side of the road, roadkill, heavy rain ect. it shows up on the map for the other users to see. Its a great app and has gotten me around accidents that would have cost me major time. Shown me police when I would not have seen them and for the most part, gives excellent directions.
And maybe get an all wheel drive if you are that uncomfortable driving in the winter.
I cant wait for snowy roads and am hoping for a blizzard every week so most of the people driving cars are not on the road and surges are crazy for the all wheel drives vehicles.

MrUberCT

Try not to pay Janice too much attention. All she does is whine and complain about how horrible Uber is. She's the most negative person in the forum. Right Janice?

Retired Senior

Janice's advice seems to be the goal that I need to reach. I'm not senile yet ( I think!) so I should be able to learn the favorite destinations of the college students and then research the best routes to get them there. I like the "kids" that I've been meeting... we've had several entertaining discussions in my car about God, human behavior in the absence of God, the surveillance society that we now live in, and the new Tecno-Gods... such as Google, NSA, Uber, and so on.

People may say that I'm barely making minimum pay. What they don't seem to understand is that I looked for a regular job for 3 years and could not get hired. Uber compliments and enhances my life at this point.

JohnnyBravo

People may say that I'm barely making minimum pay. What they don't seem to understand is that I looked for a regular job for 3 years and could not get hired. Uber compliments and enhances my life at this point.
In a similar boat Senior. Cant get hired after nearly two years, must be age thing, though I'm nowhere near retirement (realistically) . Was wondering if Uber / Lyft might get me a little income. Tough to pay bills with nothing coming in.

Retired Senior

In a similar boat Senior. Cant get hired after nearly two years, must be age thing, though I'm nowhere near retirement (realistically) . Was wondering if Uber / Lyft might get me a little income. Tough to pay bills with nothing coming in.
You can make enough money to pay for the costs involved (increased wear and tear on the car, spending a lot more on gas etc) and have money left over, if you do a few things right... things I am still having trouble with, I must admit.

Really learn the Uber Driver's App and how it works with your particular smart phone. Mount it properly on the front window of your car.

Learn your target neighborhood. This could be a University complex, an airport, a shopping center etc. You have to be able to find your riders as quickly as possible. Use Google maps to print out target street maps and label the street addresses in a way that helps you learn the territory so that you are not totally dependent on the GPS.

Strive to always have paying customers in the car. All too often I'll pick up a college student, bring him to a popular destination, and before I can even turn the car around I get "pinged".... and refuse to accept the ride. Instead I'll drive back to the college... trust me, it makes no sense. I think it has something to do with my level of anxiety at the moment...

Don't drive when you know you are not at your best... The Uber Driver rating system can be a cruel mistress. If you have the flu, if you had a sleepless night, if you are not at your peak, I think it is best to not try to drive. You won't get a 5 Star rating from a rider you just scared to death! And a fender-bender in a crowded shopping park that occurs while you are trying to identify the Uber rider can really ruin your day!

Finally spend some time reading these forum posts. For the most part they are written by sincere people who are either asking for help with a particular issue or are trying to provide that help.

Last edited:

Do tell

Try not to pay Janice too much attention. All she does is whine and complain about how horrible Uber is. She's the most negative person in the forum. Right Janice?
You're the most negative person with all the derogatory comments and complaints of other people you don't agree with. You sound like a hater.

JaniceCT

Lots of places won't hire because they can see your an educated person and only applying cause you are desperate. They know odds are you won't stick around long once you find a better job.

Retired Senior

What better job? The big lie at the heart of the recent Presidential debates is that jobs have migrated from the USA to overseas - and that we can reel them back home. It's a lie because many if not most of the lost American jobs are now being performed by robots and computers that are nearing artificial intelligence.

Here is just one of many tech articles about the subject. And truthfully, no one wants to answer the obvious question of what to do about it. Myself, I think that mandatory birth control is the only feasible option in a hi-tech world run by Republicans who have gone on the record as being against Food Stamps, Medicaid, Medicare. and Social Security.

Also, believe me, this is a rather conservative news article. It should be asking the question: when all of the manual laborers lose their jobs who will have the cash to buy all the creature comforts that the robots are churning out?

When all the old rat geezers like me who turned to driving for Uber in desperation are put out of work by self-driving vehicles, how will we pay for Uber rides to the local geriatric hospitals? People who are interested in a literary answer may want to read this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Folded_Hands

*******************************************************************************************

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...se-to-replacing-the-rest-of-warehouse-workers
Amazon robots close to replacing the rest of warehouse workers
David Cardinal on July 5, 2016 at 12:31 pm

• acquisition of Kiva Robotics, Amazon is now looking at technology to reduce the number of people needed to pack boxes. It recently hosted a DARPA-challenge-style contest, featuring over a dozen teams from the around the world, whose robots competed for the title of best autonomous box packer. This contest, its second one, took place in Leipzig, Germany, and featured a more complex “Pick” task than the first challenge Amazon held last year in Seattle, and a new “Stow” task for unloading.

Credit: Team Delft

Team Delft’s robot, featuring both a two-fingered gripper and a suction device, achieved top scores and times in both the box picking-and-packing, and the reverse un-packing and restocking, to take home the $50,000 first place prize. Amazon kept things interesting by using a dozen differently shaped objects in each task, and 40 items overall in the contest. This meant the robot had to adapt its picking strategy to each specific item. Teams were given a JSON file with an item list and work order five minutes before the challenge began.

Breaking new ground in flexibility
    The flexibility to handle the wide-variety of objects found in an Amazon warehouse is perhaps the largest breakthrough needed to make general-purpose warehouse robots a reality. Currently most package handling robots are designed with a single, or small number of related, package sizes and shapes in mind — or their cargo is prepackaged or paletted for easy automated handling. Many of the robots, including the one from Team Delft, included a depth-sensing camera to help identify the objects and their exact size and location.

Credit: Team Delft

In addition to timing the robots, Amazon deducted points for damaging an item, dropping it more than a foot, or misplacing it on the shelf. Objects ranged from a T-shirt to a dumbbell. Delft’s point score was matched by Japan’s Team PFN, but the Dutch team performed its task about 30 seconds faster, giving it first place.

Team leaders and event organizers provided some cheery words about a future where people and robots would work side-by-side in the warehouse — especially since current-technology robots are only expected to be able to handle about 50% of the variety of products — but the long-term trajectory is the replacement of workers performing repetitive tasks with machines.

A large part of what makes these new applications possible is deep learning. Using the same type of software tools that have enabled facial recognition and early-stage autonomous vehicles, these prototype warehouse robots identified objects and pattern-matched their shapes and attributes with the appropriate picking and packing strategies.

[Top image credit: Amazon]

Danny3xd

Did ya ever resolve your original problem, Senior? (read 2ce, but am slow, snork)

I was wondering if it was just a settings problem. Like avoid tolls/highways, shortest/fastest rout etc.

Retired Senior

Nah.... it seems that young college students would rather trust the built in GPS than some-one who has lived in the city for 25 years... that's OK, they end up paying the same or more and it takes longer to get them to their destination.

I am beginning to understand the App better... it won't tell you to make a U-turn and pick up a rider across the street from where you were parked... No, it tells you instead to drive in a U across several city blocks and puts you back where you were, but facing the other way. Fine! waste my gas you b#@tch!

To the men... have you ever thought that the voice on the Uber GPS sounds like a nagging wife before you had your first cup of coffee in the morning?
I swear they must have hired my X-girlfriend to be their speaker! I used to think that AOL's "You've got mail" was annoying.... Boy, how little did I know what was coming!

And lady's, I'm sorry for sounding sexist. but it IS a woman's voice - or at least I hope to God it's a woman....

Danny3xd

LoL, Senior.

I have a theory that folks will give their entire trust to an app or program thinking 'em infaible.
As a hobby, I take perfectly good bicycles and Motorize them. (Like other emotional 12 year olds) but my point is that fellow builders will brag about their exact speed via GPS. Rather then the 12$ speedo. I. Have sat in the garage and watched 2 GPS's state they are doing 2 mph. (so I raced 'em)
The house hardly if ever is capable of 1 mph.

Working for a phone app, I am often reminded of the Japanese concept and phrase of Shin Dow goo. (SP)

The literal translation is "demented machine" but very loosely translated to infer that a device meant to make life easier, presents it's own host of problems. Cracks me up and I named a floating hotdog business after. ( That failed big time, snork)

But I am really enjoying working for a phone app..

I'm never late, it never complains and when it annoys me, I turn it off and go home.

Life is good.

Danny3xd

Post Script. I enjoy changing the Wife's GPS to different dialects, gender and languages just to mess with her.

When asked, I say "dunno, must be an update or something..,.

Do tell

Post Script. I enjoy changing the Wife's GPS to different dialects, gender and languages just to mess with her.

When asked, I say "dunno, must be an update or something..,.
Your wife sounds like a keeper.I laughed so hard at your joke with your wife,coffee came out my nose.