• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The Tyranny Of Uber's Rating System | An Attempt At Changing It

chi1cabby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber's Rating System is inherently unfair. And it's implementation is arbitrary.
4 Stars is a darn good rating for a professional critic/reviewer to give to a movie, restaurant etc. Amateur reviews on yelp, Amazon etc that are 4 Stars are considered Good.

Btw, Uber_CHI Yelp rating is 2.5 Stars!
Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-42-06.png

Even if nothing else changes with the rating system, the acceptable threshold should be lowered to 4.0 Stars ASAP! And Uber should do this openly, by informing the media that it made a mistake in setting the threshold at 4.7 or 4.6 (or whatever it really is or isn't, since it varies from market to market).
I've seen Twitter pics of drivers as low as 2.6)
Screenshot_2014-10-05-17-50-27.png

The drivers should also be informed of this change, so that they can go out there and work without overly worrying about this Rating BS!

Then there is the issue of Drivers, esp Female Drivers, having to suffer through undue harassment under this tyranny!

10670197_591441360982660_7482698429791224483_n.jpg

Screenshot_2014-11-09-11-09-18.png

There is no merit in the ratings given by mostly drunk riders during late night weekend hours. And where is the merit in the ratings given by pissed off riders during high Surge Pricing?

Attachments

Last edited:

scrurbscrud

Making drivers attempt to locate the happy happy social order as determined by 20 somethings who don't even have personalities is truly torturous.

I'm thinking of hiring an organ grinder with an entertainment monkey co partner to sit in my front seat. Maybe increase the tips and split with 'em if nothing else. (and not HAVE to entertain them mySELF!!!)

Last edited:

chi1cabby

Apparently Uber knows of these issues with it's Sham Rating System, but chooses to just ignore them. But over the Halloween weekend, Uber sent out this text msg to Drivers

Screenshots_2014-10-31-10-22-11.png
Screenshots_2014-10-31-10-22-34.png

But OMG! Drivers Have No Way Of Knowing What Rating They Even Got On Any Given Ride!!
Edit : So How the hell is a Driver even supposed to "Submit a Ratings Review Request" ! Uber has NEVER adjusted an unjustified Rating!
You can't see your single ratings.
What are you gonna write them
about?
"Oh, I don't know what I'm talking about but if I have anything other then 5s, delete those?"
https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber-adjusting-ratings.5957/

Yet despite all it's inherent shortcomings, Uber has No Compunctions about using the Rating System as a cudgel against perfectly good Drivers!
https://uberpeople.net/threads/deactivated-twice.6377/

Last edited:

Red

Just read an article in NY Post this morning praising Uber with examples of "top drivers stories". Lot of misinformation, but the point is those "top partners" had ratings from 4.62 to 4.82. The only ones that agreed to be in the article I guess.

cybertec69

Yes, Uber Drivers Are Rating You. Welcome to the Future of Reviews.

Bill Tancer

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141018152152-1665462-yes-uber-drivers-are-rating-you-welcome-to-the-future-of-reviews#article-activity

This is an in-depth look at bilateral reviews by an expert. Yet even he fails to see the deep flaws in Uber's Rating System as currently implemented.

The reason is, they are not Taxi drivers and have NO CLUE what we have to deal with on a day to day basis. For the last too weeks I have been at a 5 rating, then yesterday after my 14 trips I was still at 5, then after my 15th trip all of a sudden I am at 4.67, LOL, really, so for 100 plus rides everyone is happy, then one idiot decides for whatever reason "most likely the fare price", and gives me a 3 for no rime or reason. I have send numerous emails to Uber regarding this issue, with the same idiotic response, it's like conversing with mokeys at the Uber CSR headquarters.

scrurbscrud

Apparently Uber knows of these issues with it's Sham Rating System, but chooses to just ignore them. But over the Halloween weekend, Uber sent out this text msg to Drivers

View attachment 2259 View attachment 2260

But OMG! Drivers Have No Way Of Knowing What Rating They Even Got On Any Given Ride!!
Edit : So How the hell is a Driver even supposed to "Submit a Ratings Review Request" ! Uber has NEVER adjusted an unjustified Rating!

https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber-adjusting-ratings.5957/

Yet despite all it's inherent shortcomings, Uber has No Compunctions about using the Rating System as a cudgel against perfectly good Drivers!
https://uberpeople.net/threads/deactivated-twice.6377/
You KNOW Chi, they send out emails to not worry about bad ratings like they did on Halloween, but if the drivers don't follow the steps required i.e. send in reports, they will NOT get any adjustments. We know how Uber handles these things. They don't. They just lie to the drivers. Drivers don't always know who nails them on ratings anyway. What were drivers supposed to do on Halloween? Send in reports for EVERY ride because customers were pissed over high fares?

I doubt there were any drivers on Halloween who DIDN'T take a hit on their ratings and I equally doubt that a single driver got a ratings adjustment either.

StephenJBlue

You know, I'm always amazed at driver's and people who actually think that @uber gives a rat's ass about the drivers. They don't. Plain and simple. We actually don't know what each individual passenger rates us, but we have a clue based on their actions and demeanor during the ride. Some driver's offer advice to other drivers about bad ratings with suggestions that they should contact @uber. Honestly, all uber does is send back a cheesy email telling the driver to not worry about an individual ride or rating and to just focus on the big picture.

Anyone saying that uber cares about it's drivers has seriously drunken the Kool-Aid.

chi1cabby

Drivers Have No Way Of Knowing What Rating They Even Got On Any Given Ride!!
Exactly @scrurbscrud , thank you!
Drivers don't always know who nails them on ratings anyway. What were drivers supposed to do on Halloween? Send in reports for EVERY ride because customers were pissed over high fares?
Can some Drivers please post the emails to Uber when they've requested that a specific rating be removed due to exigent circumstances, and Uber's canned email responses?
Thanx!

Goober

Hi Goober,

I really am very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with riders regarding your vehicle capacity.

It is always upsetting when you are trying to do your best and you are treated inconsiderately. We definitely stand behind you as our partner and we value that partnership. We take the ratings you give to riders seriously and this is also a way to inform other drivers of the riders they are transporting.

While I understand your concerns about ratings, and I am sorry to hear that you feel pressured into driving as a result, I would encourage you to respectfully hold your ground and let the riders know that you cannot safely transport more than 4 riders and so for their safety, you are happy to either a) transport four or unfortunately they will have to request a larger vehicle. The reality is that every driver gets some ratings that are not warranted, however the system is such that we analyze your ratings in aggregate (overall for all trips), not for one trip. We look at your overall rating on the system and feedback from riders in various situations to determine whether you will continue to have access to the Uber app. We unfortunately cannot adjust theseratings.

Please focus on diffusing situations professionally and you will be fine. If you treat all riders with respect, your overall rating should remain high. I hope this information helps!

As for the ping after a cancellation, I appreciate your patience when this occurs. I will make a note of the situation for future consideration.

Thanks again for reaching out with your questions and concerns.

Best,

Uber Support

chi1cabby

Where did you find this?

I find the data hard to believe that drivers' ratings go up on weekends after 8PM...sounds like propaganda to me, but hey maybe drunks are more jovial.
@grams777 had posted this many months ago.

Screenshot_2014-12-02-09-43-53.png

I find this utterly incredulous too! What Uber is saying is that drunk riders are less problematic than sober riders. And that the riders who've just paid through their noses during High Surge Prices are very happy about it!

But then this past Halloween, Uber sent out this text msg and instituted a Rating Review Request for the very first time:
Screenshots_2014-10-31-10-22-11.png

Screenshots_2014-10-31-10-22-34.png

But OMG! Drivers Have No Way Of Knowing What Rating They Even Got On Any Given Ride!! So How the hell is a Driver even supposed to "Submit a Ratings Review Request"!

So there you have it! Yet another shining example of Uber telling the Drivers whatever SunShit it can think of!

Last edited: