The trade dress policy might be illegal

driveflydrive

The trade dress policy that we are being sited for at LAX might be illegal because of California Vehicle Code 26700 - 26712.
Hey What a great find!!!!

Displaying the new Uber circle plus the Airport permit in the right hand side of the windshield is bigger than 7 "square.

26708. (a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any
object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied
upon the windshield or side or rear windows.
(2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or
material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon
the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view
through the windshield or side windows.
(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle
with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or
rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.
(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(1) Rearview mirrors.
(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors that are mounted forward
of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.
(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials that are displayed in a
seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest
removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials that are
displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the rear
window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other
materials that are displayed in a five-inch square in the lower
corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

Ray.E

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Read the code it pertains to obstructed windshields, i dont believe it says anything about magnets on your door

Ray.E

cOntinuation of my letter to uber

Accordance with CA Veh 26700 the trade dress placard and permit that is Supposed to be placed in the left lower corner of the windshield is larger than a 7 inch Square and is illegal for the divers to do under the California vehicle code. So my question to you.is, even though its the drivers responsiblity to have a safe operating Vehicle who is going To be liable if we Are required to have this in the front and back Windows after a serious accident because of the ubers trade dress policy,..

Ray.E

Well I have to say that i'm here now at LAX staging and this is the first time in Week that I have'nt seen security inquiring about the certificate and trade dress in the window on LAPD citing the drivers for not having it in the windshield

Ray.E

okay, please correct me if im wrong if that is case I believe I need to have a DMV endorsement; moreover, I did'nt see any Exemptions that pertained to commercial Vehicles or licenses to where obstructions are allowed in the windshield. I will read it again so my response isn't of ignorance

Ray.E

that article only stated what the legal ETOH Levals are at for a comercial licensed driver. the article never states he was charged as a commercial driver.

Ray.E

I BELIEVE THE V.C. CODE STATES ANY MOTOR VEHICLE, again. I don't see an exemption or exception to Commercial Vehicles or commercial licensed drives,

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.
(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.
(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver’s clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

Tequila Jake

The standard Uber and Lyft trade dress placards are well under a 7" square.

FYI, 7" in square means 7" per side (or 49 square inches). 7 square inches is much smaller - (2.65 " per side).

It would be illegal under this statute to have both Uber and Lyft trade dress displayed simultaneously.

Just Another Uber Drive

FYI, 7" in square means 7" per side (or 49 square inches). 7 square inches is much smaller - (2.65 " per side).

It would be illegal under this statute to have both Uber and Lyft trade dress displayed simultaneously.
But the LAX placard takes another 8.5" by 5.5" chunk of windshield directly below the trade dress. This combination exceeds 7" in both height and width.

Both Lyft and Uber LAX placards are the same size.

mghtyred

But the LAX placard takes another 8.5" by 5.5" chunk of windshield directly below the trade dress. This combination exceeds 7" in both height and width.

Both Lyft and Uber LAX placards are the same size.
Which is why my LAX placard lays on the dashboard, visible from the windshield. I've been told by LAX PD that this is legal, and OK "as long as we can see it".

Joe123456

Thanks

mghtyred

Just remember to place it underneath your trade dress, where both the trade dress and LAX placard is visible. As long as they can see both clearly, and they are both visible by the lower passenger side front windshield area, you're good.

SCdave

Thought it was stupid to have Placards that big but now it looks to be illegal also. Lawsuit waiting to happen...sign :frown:

Prior to getting mine in the mail, I downloaded and printed it out 1/2 size. Then combined with Uber U and laminated both bad boys. At half size, the LAX Placard lined up with Uber U and actually looked half "not so crappy". This is the one I use when I drop off at LAX. Haven't had a problem. If I'm cited, I'll contest it using the above Regulations (thanks). Not normal for me to be so bold and adventurous but I absolutely hate the 8.5" piece of sh*t LAX Placard.

Call me an idiot, call me an American, even call me an American Idiot...but safety first. I like seeing strollers, toddlers, and not so tall smaller than average people. Oh, people sitting on curbs, like to see them too. And service dogs...even service turkeys or service ferrets or whatever qualifies now for service animals.

I've only picked up once at LAX since Placard Zero Day. Yes, I chickened out and tossed the big a$$ 8.5" sucker up on the dash.

KekeLo

okay, please correct me if im wrong if that is case I believe I need to have a DMV endorsement; moreover, I did'nt see any Exemptions that pertained to commercial Vehicles or licenses to where obstructions are allowed in the windshield. I will read it again so my response isn't of ignorance

I have a commercial license and you're right.