The SuperBowl is the best opportunity drivers have to make Uber and Lyft listen and raise the rates

jocker12

The SuperBowl is coming on Feb 4th 2018 and the Cities will be packed with people that will spend a lot of money. It is no way around it and Uber and Lyft are part of the equation.

Imagine what both platforms will do if drivers will collectively go offline for 24 hours on Jan 10th, just to make a point. Imagine what would happen if drivers collectively will go offline on Jan 17th, only to show Uber and Lyft how, even if they are not unionized, without them is no Uber or Lyft either.

Imagine how, if they don’t raise the rates, drivers collectively go offline for a day on Feb 28th, a week before the event, when a lot of people start pouring in.

Now imagine if we, the drivers, ask them to double the rates back to where they were 2 years ago!

This is one in a lifetime opportunity when we know they need us more than ever, and we can ask them to listen and conform to our demands!

If they don’t listen, the more drivers would stay offline before the event, the more their businesses will get hurt.

mcj

I would like to see this. However, there will always be those jackass drivers who want to make a quick buck. They will go out and collect bank on the surges while everyone else boycotts. It needs to be all or nothing to actually show uber/lyft that drivers have had enough.

Kodyhead

Gofundme and buy a billboard. People talking about it down here although not super bowl related

Problem is too many people will drive anyway

#1husler

You might get results if you translated this appeal into KiSomali, KiSwahili and Amheric- to encourage our Somali and Ethiopian/Eritreaian/Oromia cabbie brothers to decamp from MSP to join this cause...otherwise, it wont go anywhere.

jocker12

I would like to see this. However, there will always be those jackass drivers who want to make a quick buck. They will go out and collect bank on the surges while everyone else boycotts. It needs to be all or nothing to actually show uber/lyft that drivers have had enough.
Of course there will be drivers to go out, but you know what taxi cab drivers did in Europe when they wanted to get the uber drivers and assault them? Crated fake rider accounts and started requesting cars. If you want to teach them a lesson, requests and cancel under 2 minutes.

The fact is that the market it will be flooded with demand. How many requests can a drive take in high traffic and winter conditions per hour? If Uber and Lyft don’t have as many drivers as possible in the road, ideally enough, they have a problem because they know they are giving business away to each other or to the taxis.

jocker12

Gofundme and buy a billboard. People talking about it down here although not super bowl related

Problem is too many people will drive anyway
I don’t think you want to compare any day Uber or Lyft operations with the scale of SuperBowl (one of the biggest sports events in the world) car sharing operations.

This is like playing chess. Are drivers willing to sacrifice a bishop or a knight to get closer to the king and maybe achieve what they want, or jump, take the queen and lose the game?

You tell me.

Kodyhead

Do you think they care about how much money do they make?
Yes but not enough to get involved and you are talking to less than 0.05% of the drivers in your market.

So to make it an easy number for discussion purposes if you have 100 people half were probably not going to drive on that day anyway

Not sure How much you actually read on here but i read on a global level and this has been tried before. I would recommend reading the Australian and New York forums which probably had the most success of you can call it THAT.

jocker12

I would recommend reading the Australian and New York forums which probably had the most success of you can call it THAT.

You don't understand how any comparison fades away if you refer to the SuperBowl. There are estimated 700.000 people to travel to Twin Cities, willing to spend $1000 per night to be here. Besides that, Twin Cities is not like California, to allow Uber or Lyft to advertise for drivers from different markets to come here and drive for the event only. The closest big city is Chicago, but is way far to even make Uber of Lyft think about something like that.

Both platforms will be salivating for every single driver to stay on the road 24/7.

Normally, in 8 to 10 hours you can get 15 to 25 rides correct? If we make it 30 for the 2 weeks before the SuperBowl, despite the predicted much heavier traffic and worse weather, how many drivers do you need constantly on the road to cover the demand? I am speaking about people willing to pay the money for transportation(they will already be in a spending mode), not locals that are reluctant to move under a 2.0 surge. Do you imagine what could happen if half the drivers would stay home for a day?

Even if they want to avoid the blame of increasing the rates for the event (like they took in case of some terrorist attacks), Uber and Lyft could point to my post or to the drivers and say they had no choice but do it.

If drivers are smart enough, we can make both Uber and Lyft beg us to stay on the road. And that is what you need if you want them to listen.

This is a pipe dream. Once uber/Lyft completely oust the taxi cab industry, then we will see rate hikes. However, that won't happen until there are self driving cars. Also, if Uber/Lyft upped the rates, they would lose drivers on the roads because drivers would be making more money in less time and wouldn't need to grind as hard.

jocker12

This is a pipe dream. Once uber/Lyft completely oust the taxi cab industry, then we will see rate hikes. However, that won't happen until there are self driving cars. Also, if Uber/Lyft upped the rates, they would lose drivers on the roads because drivers would be making more money in less time and wouldn't need to grind as hard.
So you are telling me they will lose drivers because when they make too much money drivers tend to stop driving?

I am telling you how they will at least double the current number of their drivers, even if for only temporary, when people will make money, because whoever comes here for the SuperBowl knows it's not going to be cheap, so they will accept the high prices on pretty much everything, by default. Or you think the SuperBowl guests will expect cheap services and cheap rental cars or hotel rooms rates?

Last edited:

Kodyhead

So you are telling me they will lose drivers because when they make too much money drivers tend to stop driving?

I am telling you how they will at least double the current number of their drivers, even if for only temporary, when people will make money, because whoever comes here for the SuperBowl knows it's not going to be cheap, so they will accept the high prices on pretty much everything, by default. Or you think the SuperBowl guests will expect cheap services and cheap rental cars or hotel rooms rates?
You are not considering the vast majority sho are in town to work the super bowl in the weeks upcoming prior to the super bowl where most of your money comes from. Most of the beautiful people will most likely get higher platforms or have rides prearranged for them.

As you point of majority of the drivers are doing this part time and it is much easier to unify people who are full time.

The biggest obstacle really is how do you establish communication between the majority of drivers before you even tackle the issue of convincing people to help or support your cause.

Also the general culture of drivers is to be negative anyway lol

jocker12

You are not considering the vast majority sho are in town to work the super bowl in the weeks upcoming prior to the super bowl where most of your money comes from.
For the sake of the discussion, I start with the last 2 weeks, but you are very correct. It is infact, 5 weeks.

As you point of majority of the drivers are doing this part time and it is much easier to unify people who are full time.
Assuming the PT drivers will stay on the road, they cannot cover general demand more than 35 to 40%, so the rest of at least 60%, in my opinion, fells on FT drivers, grinding those rides between 8 to 12 hours a day.

The biggest obstacle really is how do you establish communication between the majority of drivers before you even tackle the issue of convincing people to help or support your cause.
It is essential for every driver to understand ALL the benefits of this unique opportunity. Everything lines up in drivers favor, Ubers favor, not so much in guests favor, not at all in local riders's favor (all prices going up, messy traffic, drivers from other states with more aggressive driving approach on the road and overfilled restaurants and other public spaces). The reason I've posted this here now, and not wait until January, was exactly to make drivers discuss about it, let their friends know about it and see what the general spirit is before we could go into specifics (possible communication and coordination).

Also the general culture of drivers is to be negative anyway lol
This is the most comical thing so far. The vast majority of the drivers sound like Uber shills, no offence. It only involves coordinated stay home 3 or 4 days thru an entire month, but everybody says drivers are not interested or it can't be done, when they probably stay home one day every week anyway. I want to see what people think about it at the beginning of November, and than see if we can do it.

AlexCom

You might get results if you translated this appeal into KiSomali, KiSwahili and Amheric- to encourage our Somali and Ethiopian/Eritreaian/Oromia cabbie brothers to decamp from MSP to join this cause...otherwise, it wont go anywhere.
To your point
Screenshot_2017-09-21-11-36-58.jpg

This is not going to work!
Coupke banners, flashing lights and 50 -60 uber/lyft cars doing circles around the capitol/airport/or block their green light hub
1 time per week ,1 hour

You get mega media attention
You don't brake the law
Everyone is going to notice

Last edited:

Mikejay

They will not raise rates for drivers. The company isn't making enough money. Literally they are losing investors because it has been a pit. You will not see an increase in our pay until Uber is dead and gone and something else has taken its place.

jocker12

Don't you think the surge pricing will be on hefty enough where this isn't going to be an issue?
Please read the title again. This is not about the surges. Riders already don’t see surges anymore, and drivers only see them because Uber wants to move fleet by tricking drivers into thinking they will make more.

We need to show Uber how if there are no active cars on the road, there is no Uber, and we can do that without affecting our work. We only need few coordinated stay off line days close to the most important event of the year.