The strike in Melbourne has failed

Llib07

Yeah a bit of a let down. Just trying to manage your expectations when your cities go on strike. I think our society is too far gone and atomized and Uber take advantage of that. Everybody only thinks about themselves and in the end they will lose for themselves.
Thanks to everyone that did strike in Melbourne but it wasnt enough there were ants everywhere and I didnt even see a surge.

Llib07

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys got mentioned in some news articles. You brought some awareness to the situation. Rome wasn't built in a day and it didn't fall in a day.
It was a complete dud mate, cars were everywhere and not even a surge, I guess I have to agree with the naysayers here that there is an unlimited supply of unskilled drivers ready to replace the strikers and Melbourne was proof. I know you think that there is potential but I dont see it. If there was a small surge and the drivers had thinned out yeah maybe that would be the beginning of something but it was peak hour and not even a small surge. My expectations were low but this was shocking.

Z129

-:- * -:- * -:- * -:-
It was a complete dud mate, cars were everywhere and not even a surge, I guess I have to agree with the naysayers here that there is an unlimited supply of unskilled drivers ready to replace the strikers and Melbourne was proof.
But you got press coverage. More than that couldn't be realistically expected. It's 3:40am in Los Angeles. The strike won't be anymore successful here as far as keeping drivers off the roads in noticable amounts, but it will get news coverage. It may embarrass Uber a bit. It might even lower the value of their IPO a little bit. But probably not.

Llib07

But you got press coverage. More than that couldn't be realistically expected.
Yeah the Age a major newspaper didn't bother reporting it and there was only a handful of people at the office (Many weren't even drivers). Believe me I put a lot of effort into this and so did some other drivers but many drivers lied to my face as hundreds got flyers were distributed and it was all over social media. I hope it works out as it may happen overseas but I cannot spend weeks of campaigning to get 10% of drivers to strike that wont be effective. Now waiting for 100 "told you soes" :frown:

The good news is that a met a few nice guys at the Airport and even here on the forum if you Nouberipo, Z129, Lissetti and No Prisoners (or others) if you are ever in Melbourne on a holiday feel free to look me up and I will be happy to show you around the city. Take care guys :biggrin:.

Last edited:

goneubering

Yeah a bit of a let down. Just trying to manage your expectations when your cities go on strike. I think our society is too far gone and atomized and Uber take advantage of that. Everybody only thinks about themselves and in the end they will lose for themselves.
Thanks to everyone that did strike in Melbourne but it wasnt enough there were ants everywhere and I didnt even see a surge.
I’m not surprised. At least you’re honest about the lack of results.

no i think no one knew about the strike
It was a complete dud mate, cars were everywhere and not even a surge, I guess I have to agree with the naysayers here that there is an unlimited supply of unskilled drivers ready to replace the strikers and Melbourne was proof. I know you think that there is potential but I dont see it. If there was a small surge and the drivers had thinned out yeah maybe that would be the beginning of something but it was peak hour and not even a small surge. My expectations were low but this was shocking.
i dont think many of the drivers knew of the strike.I tested out that idea that no one really knew on the passenger side,it couldnve been a coinincidence for that one day.I asked a good number of them.None* of them had heard about it except 1 person.Its that word just doesnt get out about the issues... or the strike.Thats the same with the potentially new drivers asking me about driving,none of them have heard about the low pay.They are all going to pay their $600 to get the required license etc only to find that they are going to work a 100 hrs to get it back.I think that is what the part time drivers doing weekdays are getting around here,uncertain tho.But another point is that they had asked previous drivers they were on rides with,they had apparently given them reasonably ok and optimistic opinions on drivers pay .......
But anyway,the Vic Gov Inquiry had a press release yesterday as to their findings.That may mean that perhaps the govt itself is trying affect the ipo,its possible...

Last edited:
maybe we should go to reddit and have conversations there instead.....thereby raising some awareness to the issues?? The problem is that word has not really gotten out,we need to spread the word.Anyone in?

MiamiKid

But you got press coverage. More than that couldn't be realistically expected. It's 3:40am in Los Angeles. The strike won't be anymore successful here as far as keeping drivers off the roads in noticable amounts, but it will get news coverage. It may embarrass Uber a bit. It might even lower the value of their IPO a little bit. But probably not.
Word on Wall Street this morning:

Drivers are expendable.

Uber Technology is not.

Although Uber's valuation is huge and will be considered overvalued by many investors, the strike will, literally, have zero impact.

Investors are in this to, totally, get rid of drivers and transition to driverless vehicles.
Post automatically merged:

maybe we should go to reddit and have conversations there instead.....thereby raising some awareness to the issues?? The problem is that word has not really gotten out,we need to spread the word.Anyone in?
Nope

Disgusted Driver

Thank you for fighting the good fight. It's never a let down personally to fight for what's right.

nouberipo

Most drivers dont even know there is a strike!
Is that a fact? How do you know that? Don't put statements out there unless you can reference empirical evidence to support your unfounded assumptions.

Word on Wall Street this morning:

Drivers are expendable.

Uber Technology is not.

Although Uber's valuation is huge and will be considered overvalued by many investors, the strike will, literally, have zero impact.

Investors are in this to, totally, get rid of drivers and transition to driverless vehicles.

Nope
word on Wall street this morning? I have been watching CNBC and Bloomberg and see nothing to support your personal assumptions. Another shrill post.

The Texan

no i think no one knew about the strike

i dont think many of the drivers knew of the strike.I tested out that idea that no one really knew on the passenger side,it couldnve been a coinincidence for that one day.I asked a good number of them.None* of them had heard about it except 1 person.Its that word just doesnt get out about the issues... or the strike.Thats the same with the potentially new drivers asking me about driving,none of them have heard about the low pay.They are all going to pay their $600 to get the required license etc only to find that they are going to work a 100 hrs to get it back.I think that is what the part time drivers doing weekdays are getting around here,uncertain tho.But another point is that they had asked previous drivers they were on rides with,they had apparently given them reasonably ok and optimistic opinions on drivers pay .......
But anyway,the Vic Gov Inquiry had a press release yesterday as to their findings.That may mean that perhaps the govt itself is trying affect the ipo,its possible...
Wait, what? $600 for the required license, for what? Where is this? Where ever it is, ya'll are getting screwed big time!

Is that a fact? How do you know that? Don't put statements out there unless you can reference empirical evidence to support your unfounded assumptions.

word on Wall street this morning? I have been watching CNBC and Bloomberg and see nothing to support your personal assumptions. Another shrill post.
OH yea? I just checked my U and L apps for the MKE airport Ques. The Que is FULL for both!! meaning, none of them know about the 'strike', or they dont give a F. Those guys are there, and it's full from 0630 past midnight, every day in MKE at the airport.
And NO, I'm not there, I rarely sit at that waiting lot, only when I've just taken a pax to the airport, and it's not quite full to wait for an hour on average.

MiamiKid

Have see

There's your problem. You need to mix in Fox Business, in addition to Bloomberg and CNBC.

That will help to give you a more informed and balanced view of what's going on in the world.

Wait, what? $600 for the required license, for what? Where is this? Where ever it is, ya'll are getting screwed big time!
its australia everything is expensive here.The govt just loves to give out fine and fees.And regulate everything except drivers earnings/wages

Llib07

Guys they knew about the strike and didn’t care to strike.
I gave out hundreds of flyers and got a bad feeling about it. They were all telling me “yeah I’ll do this and even saying thanks”. I’m sure many logged off as in maybe 10% at best but really apathy all around when it came to it. It was all over social media and if drivers cared they would have spread the word. There were also other organically generated Facebook and what’s app groups so most drivers would have heard something but didn’t care to investigate further and real push the message out.

I formed a small what’s app group for people that supposedly really wanted to help and also joined a larger one. The small one I got no responses the next day so deleted it and on the bigger one I got a few thumbs up but really out of 150 people there was 90% apathy there should have been 50 thumbs up. And not one guy came into the city to do the drive around not one ☝. It was just me driving around and I felt like an idiot and you know what we are all naive (no offense) for not understanding the reality of how these ‘drivers’ operate.
I actually prefer the few guys who said outright no because at least they were honest.

Look I hope you guys prove me wrong and it takes off. The reality is that it will probably decline or just plateau as more drivers join the strike just as many will leave. It’s just a sad reality they want better rates but and really prepared for a small sacrifice and will actually take advantage of others striking.
I’m not bitter I’m too old for that, I’m still good looking for my age (just kidding) but I knew the reality and was angry at Uber for denying it to myself. I hate to say it guys the truth is that it’s only part time gig and even better us dfs to get to a better job with civilised pay.
Rant over. Thanks for listening ?.

Guys they knew about the strike and didn’t care to strike.
I gave out hundreds of flyers and got a bad feeling about it. They were all telling me “yeah I’ll do this and even saying thanks”. I’m sure many logged off as in maybe 10% at best but really apathy all around when it came to it. It was all over social media and if drivers cared they would have spread the word. There were also other organically generated Facebook and what’s app groups so most drivers would have heard something but didn’t care to investigate further and real push the message out.

I formed a small what’s app group for people that supposedly really wanted to help and also joined a larger one. The small one I got no responses the next day so deleted it and on the bigger one I got a few thumbs up but really out of 150 people there was 90% apathy there should have been 50 thumbs up. And not one guy came into the city to do the drive around not one ☝. It was just me driving around and I felt like an idiot and you know what we are all naive (no offense) for not understanding the reality of how these ‘drivers’ operate.
I actually prefer the few guys who said outright no because at least they were honest.

Look I hope you guys prove me wrong and it takes off. The reality is that it will probably decline or just plateau as more drivers join the strike just as many will leave. It’s just a sad reality they want better rates but and really prepared for a small sacrifice and will actually take advantage of others striking.
I’m not bitter I’m too old for that, I’m still good looking for my age (just kidding) but I knew the reality and was angry at Uber for denying it to myself. I hate to say it guys the truth is that it’s only part time gig and even better us dfs to get to a better job with civilised pay.
Rant over. Thanks for listening ?.
well the reporters were waiting to report on it in the usa and watching the app for surges but they had doubts how many drivers would show up.It was a good reporting,showed the demands etc.Wouldve had much more impact had the drivers shown up in large numbers,mightve worked to stop any rate decreases etc Missed opportunity here

Last edited: