• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The Pros and Cons of pooling, or is there a way to disable pooling in the app?

wuber88

I am wondering what the pros and cons are...
I have a promotion that I need to reach 30 trips in a week to get some bonus. After looking at my account record, I found that I have only accumulated 4 (later about how it was counted. I am confused--I will start a new post on that)! So I figure I should disable pooling to rack up the # of trips for the next few days. Is there a way to do that (i.e. disable pooling)? Or, is it sensible to do it even in my situation?
TIA (Thanks In Advance)

Cableguynoe

there are many many reasons why you shouldn't accept pool.

However, i think you don't quite get a few things.

If anything, pool will help you reach those quest bonuses because every single rider counts as a ride.
So pool = more rides.

However, most would advise you not to shoot for the quest. It's designed to make you take every single ride, rather than trying to drive smarter.
You'll understand more if you spend more if you spend more time on this site.

In the meantime, if you don't already drive lyft, i suggest you sign up for them also.

wuber88

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For example?

If anything, pool will help you reach those quest bonuses because every single rider counts as a ride.
Hmm, it seems to me that they count a pooled trip with 2 riders as a single trip, otherwise there is no way they counted only 4 trips for the 3 days I worked so far (even then I should have more than 4 trips, counting pooled trips with 2 riders as single and not counting canceled trips).

Cableguynoe

For example?.
Less pay.
Lots of time loss picking up extra riders which many times doesn't add much pay.
You get paid miles and minutes regardless of how many riders you have.
If they're not adding miles then the only one making money is Uber.

Not too mention when you have arguing between your riders.
Or guys hitting on female riders in your car.

Hmm, it seems to me that they count a pooled trip with 2 riders as a single trip, otherwise there is no way they counted only 4 trips for the 3 days I worked so far (even then I should have more than 4 trips, counting pooled trips with 2 riders as single and not counting canceled trips).
Which days you counting?
It starts over on Monday

Pax Collector

Pros:

-Help you achieve incentive goals faster.
-Keep you busy during rush hour.

Cons:

-you're a bus.
-less chance of getting tipped.
-Pick ups and drop off locations could make you risk accidents and tickets.
-Less pay for more work.
-Ratings take a hit (If you care about that sort of thing)
-Cheaper riders means cheap people problems.

As far as disabling Poop, you can't. The xDECLINE button should do the job just fine.

Las Vegas Dude

Once you start a pool ride you get paid mileage and minutes to pick up the next ride or rides. You get paid from time you pick up the first pool ride to the time you drop of your last pool ride. If you do one short X then another short X you don’t get paid for the mileage or waiting time to the second X ride. Granted you might make a little more off of 3 X rides than a 3 pool ride total but you have dead miles and the waiting time between the 3 X rides. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Rushmanyyz

However, i think you don't quite get a few things.

So pool = more rides.

However, most would advise you not to shoot for the quest. It's designed to make you take every single ride, rather than trying to drive smarter.
You'll understand more if you spend more if you spend more time on this site.

In the meantime, if you don't already drive lyft, i suggest you sign up for them also.
Oh, no, no, no, no!

Pool counts as one trip, one, for all quest related bonuses. If the pool has one trip in it, counts as one. If it has ten trips in it counts as one. You can even see this in the breakdown, it'll count as a single fare and only apply 1 to your trip tally.

And no, you cannot opt out of Pool as an X driver. You can pass though.

Rushmanyyz

Pool rides have always countered per rider for me on quests, 3 riders is 3 rides for me. Always has been.
I'm always happy to admit when I'm wrong and this is such an occasion.

UberPool trips do count for multiple rides on a quest.

I'm unsure where I got this memory, which seems distinct to me, that I saw something suggesting Pool trips were all one ride, but that's completely in error.

The App clearly tallys Pool trips as multiple rides and I just confirmed this by looking at my trip history.

So, Pool doesn't screw with quests at all. In fact, it might actually help out.

I do not believe this is accurate
I sincerely apologize. You were completely correct and I sought to contradict that. Thanks for being cool about it but you're definitely owed an apology, as is the OP since I got it so wrong in an attempt to actually be helpful.

whiskeyboat

I try to avoid pool and shared rides but I am not strict about it.
My experience has been that pool does not count extra for uber quest
but extra pax on a shared ride DO count toward lyft streak bonus

Also if I am on a pool/shared ride and the second pickup is not flawless I will cancel the second pickup immediately for the sanity of both myself and the pax.

Rushmanyyz

I try to avoid pool and shared rides but I am not strict about it.
My experience has been that pool does not count extra for uber quest
but extra pax on a shared ride DO count toward lyft streak bonus

Also if I am on a pool/shared ride and the second pickup is not flawless I will cancel the second pickup immediately for the sanity of both myself and the pax.
I confirmed it with multiple sources, including an official memo from Uber, if you get 3 rides on a single pool, for the sake of a quest, it counts as 3 rides.

UberLyftFlexWhatever

Less pay.
Lots of time loss picking up extra riders which many times doesn't add much pay.
You get paid miles and minutes regardless of how many riders you have.
If they're not adding miles then the only one making money is Uber.

Not too mention when you have arguing between your riders.
Or guys hitting on female riders in your car.

Which days you counting?
It starts over on Monday
Pool pax also tend to low rate drivers

Rushmanyyz

Pool pax also tend to low rate drivers
No, no they really don't. What does happen is that drivers act like complete jerks, think and treat Pool riders like they're cheap, and bad mouth Pool, then blame the riders for their low ratings.

Statistics don't lie (usually). I mean, it's literally the point of statistical analysis, to arrive at likely scenarios and know what the risks of the alternative is. So, if you get low ratings, consistently, from Pool rides, while other's don't, it's pretty easy to isolate the common variables that explain the difference.

Now, I'm no fan of Pool and Uber is a predatory, a-moral company but it's not the rider's faults. If you want a good rating, give them good service. It's honestly no harder than that.

Wonkytonk

... think and treat Pool riders like they're cheap,...
But, I mean, I guess you could call them thrifty but, you know, a rose by any other name, though I think skunk would apply better here.

So, if you get low ratings, consistently, from Pool rides, while other's don't, it's pretty easy to isolate the common variables that explain the difference.
Do you have those stats though? See we don't really know what the ratings hits are overall but judging from the majority of riders here who've posted negatively about the impact on their ratings after taking pool rides I'm inclined to feel as though where there's smoke there's fire. Kind of a raging inferno really, but I don't have the stats so I'm amenable to altering my view on this issue.

You got 'em, the stats I mean?

Rushmanyyz

But, I mean, I guess you could call them thrifty but, you know, a rose by any other name, though I think skunk would apply better here.

Do you have those stats though? See we don't really know what the ratings hits are overall but judging from the majority of riders here who've posted negatively about the impact on their ratings after taking pool rides I'm inclined to feel as though where there's smoke there's fire. Kind of a raging inferno really, but I don't have the stats so I'm amenable to altering my view on this issue.

You got 'em, the stats I mean?
For myself? I literally do.

You see, in the last 500 trips, I have 485-5 stars, 10- 4 stars, 2- 2 stars, and 3 - 1 stars.

I know for sure each of my 1 stars. Those tend to be pretty epic encounters and none of those was a pool ride. Same with the 2 stars, weird people but I'm fairly certain that they were non-pool trips. As far as my ten 4 stars, a couple might be from Pool rides, I've taken a few now. Something has me skeptical though because I've never had much of an unhappy Pool trip. In my area, they tend to have single riders half the time anyway.

Now, as statistics go, my set of trips is highly subjective and does not reflect the entire population of Uber drivers but it does allow me a pretty decent hypothesis: My customer service skills and personable attitude renders any adverse problems that the UberPool product causes, as moot.

Either I am just that damn good (in which case, thanks for the compliment) or it's reasonable to assume it's just as achievable on a Pool trip, to receive a good rating, as it is on X.

If we did an actual study on this, your attitude of calling Pool riders "skunks" would certainly be a huge confounding risk. In fact, I suspect that we'd actually discover that it was that marker, a "bad attitude", that would receive a higher R squared value than your hypothesis of it being a "Pool ride".

Then again, I don't care or need to. My 4.94 rating pretty much makes them all outliers anyway.