The New Jersey Drivers Perspective

Would You Be Open to Being Fingerprinted and Drug Tested?

• Yes, no problem!

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • No!

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

NJ ABDA

Hello All,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I hope it finds you well. I means, well enough considering this City of Newark proposal. That is a whole other story. In this thread, I am much more interested in what the drivers have on their mind.

Recently the Association has been contacted by many different Assemblymen/women in New Jersey. They are seeking the drivers point of view on things regarding Ride-Share in our beloved ' Garden State '.

I come to you to give you the opportunity to speak through the NJABDA. Which, among things like, driver education and driver advocacy to the Ride-Share companies, is it's function.

Please post your thoughts on the subject and we will try fit all of them in when we speak with our local politicians.

( I know some of you will have some colorful comments but, it would much appreciated to keep this serious and above all, keep it reasonable.)

Thanks,
NJABDA

Last edited:

Skyhakw2472

I have no issues with finger printing either. I have been finger printed for my day job as well through FBI database and no issue. I also see no issues with special licensing for vehicles that operate ride share. Would like to see rates increased to a realistic level, both for driver and passenger protection. We all know that passengers hate the fact that they pay one price to go out at night and a completely different price to come home. That is ridiculous. Ride share companies should also take care of their more veteran drivers. Why collect the booking fee after so many rides, since that fee was supposed to pay for background checks and the like originally. Also they can do a better job at offering VIP discounts to both passengers and drivers. Nobody uses the VIP request since VIP cars are more likely going to be further away. So offer 1 free ride for every 9 rides taken, and offer 0% commission to drivers, this would get them interested in taking the trip. There are zero incentives these days for passengers and drivers, unless you get new passengers and drivers to sign up, but we all know market saturation. There are so many other ideas that other drivers have come up with. We just want some sort of legality in the state and not have to worry about looking over our shoulders, but that also comes at an increase in price to protect everyone.

EREAL

The rideshare industry needs to be regulated by the state not individual towns. Being finger printed , the proper insurance and a real background check are a win win for everybody. The rideshare company's need to understand that if they want quality drivers these things are needed along with better rates , incentives etc. The taxi business is an old school model that is past its prime ( no offense to taxi drivers) . The biggest problem is drivers don't think rates or change will ever happen. I however feel after speaking to guys/gals at the New Jersey App Based Drivers Association that coupled with more drivers they can get to the right people in NJ and get the rideshare industry on the right path.

PS
To those of you who disagree please keep on topic and make points that will move us forward.

Kevin7889

Speaking as an honest consumer I'd rather pay more for uber and lyft rather than a taxi because with these ridesharing apps you have a higher chance of getting somebody who is friendlier because we're held to a high standard rating system. We have better cars and we can be tracked every second. We represent convience and quality at it's finest. People wouldn't mind paying an extra dollar a mile because they'd get so much more for their money.

Speaking as a driver if the rates went up an extra dollar a mile I'd would keep my car cleaner than Martha Stewart's @$$ho1e and provide water and candy for my customers at all times (store brand) :smiles:

Tommy Tours

Taxi drivers who rent there cars should not be pissed at Uber/Lyft rather be pissed at the owners who don't keep up with the times, just sit back collect $$ pay expenses for car couldn't give two craps about their drivers just give me the $$$.

NJ ABDA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The rideshare industry needs to be regulated by the state not individual towns. Being finger printed , the proper insurance and a real background check are a win win for everybody. The rideshare company's need to understand that if they want quality drivers these things are needed along with better rates , incentives etc. The taxi business is an old school model that is past its prime ( no offense to taxi drivers) . The biggest problem is drivers don't think rates or change will ever happen. I however feel after speaking to guys/gals at the New Jersey App Based Drivers Association that coupled with more drivers they can get to the right people in NJ and get the rideshare industry on the right path.

PS
To those of you who disagree please keep on topic and make points that will move us forward.
Thanks EREAL,

Most do think this is a joke and what we are trying to do is a joke. I mean how can you fight a large corporation like Uber? We say, you fight them with numbers. The number of drivers, united together. They can't fight a large group, its bad PR. But, most drivers we speak too laugh as us or are too in love with Uber to see beyond that.

We can't save them all. We can only keep moving on to the next driver.

Another problem is; drivers keep dropping off the platform. In Uber's own study last year, they found at 45% attrition rate last year after being active for only 12 months and an extrapolated rate that suggests a 60% attrition rate after 16 months!

So Uber is having trouble retaining drivers and what do they do? Go after those at the bottom rung of the socioeconomic ladder. Those, who most need the extra income, are with no car and have bad credit. We met a driver a few days ago that was paying a monthly lease payment that would make you want to throw up. Those with lower credit gets a higher interest rate.

As if the lower pay wasn't bad enough, the subprime rates hits their net even more. at 24.99%, you're looking at $875 a month on a 3 year lease for a $22,000 car!

No one has that 'long view', everyone is in the here and now but, we can't live like that. This really feels like it is the next bubble and just like the last one, no one wants to see it and laughs at you when you try to point it out....

Steve4991

Certainly I have no problem with a drug test or fingerprinting. In fact, when I signed up with Uber in late 2014 I was surprised "at least" a drug screen wasn't required. But it's all about the Benjamin's and Uber didn't want to pay the $150 for both drug screening and fingerprinting which was their choice. However, now that Uber agreed to pay Newark $1M per year, and we haven't heard of any additional Newark surcharges I am hoping this will translate into additional surges across the state to pay for all the additional expenses.....

Skyhakw2472

Not only should drivers be fingerprinted, they should be subject to random drug testing.
Especially after today. I would imagine companies all over the country will increase random drug testing for the next few weeks. For those that don't know the significance of 420 I "highly" recommend looking it up.