• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The New and defined Surge Pricing for Uber Partners in New Orleans effected on February 12th 2019 as follows!

To my understanding from Uber support team, that"WE" the drivers spoke and Uber platform listened!
In response to how we as drivers dislike having 1.2x surges when they occur, and that we the drivers would rather be given a dollar figure. So Uber platform changed the 1.2x etc... Surges to $1.25 up to $10.25 added to your fair, that's only if your in the area with the surge! What are y'all thought on this if any?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This apply to any were theres surges. So whenever you see a surge area there will be a dollar amount added with the fare you just accepted vic the
1.2x surges!

greekbass

I think it's not very advantageous for drivers here in New Orleans, especially during high volume times like Mardi Gras. Imagine sitting in traffic for 30 minutes for a 5 minute ride, and only being compensated $2 extra. Or an airport trip where instead of making double fare, you only tack on $3. Will definitely change the way I drive for Uber.....

Reactions: ctb

Boca Ratman

Surges to $1.25 up to $10.25 added to your fair, that's only if your in the area with the surge! What are y'all thought on this if any?
no, same as with the old surge, if you get a request from inside the surge area you get that surge. also, if you drive through they area and dont get a request, the dollar amount is applied to your next ride. Unless you dont accept the next one, cancel or log off.

no, same as with the old surge, if you get a request from inside the surge area you get that surge. also, if you drive through they area and dont get a request, the dollar amount is applied to your next ride. Unless you dont accept the next one, cancel or log off.
In the end we as sub contractors are going to get less because drivers like the dollar amount rather than the 1.2x surge pricing. The purpose of the surge when it goes up is because there's alot of request for rides in that area not because uber platform is doing is a favor! You can thank the subcontractors that spoken on our behalf regarding what we like better!
Post automatically merged:

I think it's not very advantageous for drivers here in New Orleans, especially during high volume times like Mardi Gras. Imagine sitting in traffic for 30 minutes for a 5 minute ride, and only being compensated $2 extra. Or an airport trip where instead of making double fare, you only tack on $3. Will definitely change the way I drive for Uber.....
You are correct. So if a sub contractor just do the math, weather we get the dollar amount added to the fare we just picked up or applied to the next fair, in the end.... We are still not getting paid the amount that was higher before this came into effect on 12 February 2019..... So anytime you see a surge ask yourself is it worth my time as a sub contractor to go get it?

Last edited:
Lol no as an uber driver we are considers sub contractors not employees! That's why uber have several million or billion drivers in the U. S. And combined with foreign countries, but don't own any vehicles!

greekbass

Lol no as an uber driver we are considers sub contractors not employees! That's why uber have several million or billion drivers in the U. S. And combined with foreign countries, but don't own any vehicles!
Haha...gotcha. I was just confused with Boca referencing both sub contractors and drivers. It's just bad for all.

ctb

This is all horrible surge pricing. The drivers are going to make less with this dollar surge amount. this past weekend I saw price surges as high as $22. That was in Metairie. If I had a ride from Metairie to downtown, and knowing how the surges are during Mardi Gras I would be losing out on a lot of money. so would many other drivers. we all know that surges can get anywhere from 5 to 10 times the rate during Mardi Gras. So unless we see price surges in the 50-plus dollar range we are going to be losing money. This dollar surged is set up for the rider not the driver.

You mean the surge dollar amount you seen $22.00, ummm were exactly on uber app. Did you see it have $22.00 as your dollar amount? I'm here to set the record straight, the highest surge dollar price that uber is going to offer us is $10.00!

greekbass

Actually I saw it go up to $16 a few times. During Krewe du Viuxe. But Lyft was 400% so I just switched to that lol.

Oh OK well riders the dollar amount does goes higher than $10.00 when using uber app. And much higher when you have the option to switch to lift! Lyft us given Uber a run for there money and it shows!

ctb

Saturday night during Krewe de vieux oh, and the Fleetwood Mac concert I saw dollar surged amounts as high as $22 in Metairie.

If this is going to be the norm Uber drivers are going to lose money, and I'd rather switch over to lift during Mardi Gras, because when the surge prices are 300 to 500% you are going to make a hell of a lot more money doing Lyft.

Cdub2k

Actually I saw it go up to $16 a few times. During Krewe du Viuxe. But Lyft was 400% so I just switched to that lol.
Lyft is on it's way to mimicking Uber's Bullshit Surge model.

They call it personal powerzones. It's already in other markets as we speak. Just like Uber's new surge market was in other markets well before ours it's only a matter a time before Lyft brings it here. So enjoy those 400% rides because they will eventually be a thing of the past.

Saturday night during Krewe de vieux oh, and the Fleetwood Mac concert I saw dollar surged amounts as high as $22 in Metairie.

If this is going to be the norm Uber drivers are going to lose money, and I'd rather switch over to lift during Mardi Gras, because when the surge prices are 300 to 500% you are going to make a hell of a lot more money doing Lyft.

ctb

Be prepared my fellow Uber drivers to get royally screwed on this new surge pricing. Whomever the drivers were that wanted this change y'all are idiots.

JAutin

Be prepared my fellow Uber drivers to get royally screwed on this new surge pricing. Whomever the drivers were that wanted this change y'all are idiots.
I truly don’t believe drivers wanted this change. I believe it’s just another shady marketing tactic to try and take the pressure off of Uber. Similar to Uber’s old spiel about lower rates meaning more rides.

Ubergoober1

To my understanding from Uber support team, that"WE" the drivers spoke and Uber platform listened!
In response to how we as drivers dislike having 1.2x surges when they occur, and that we the drivers would rather be given a dollar figure. So Uber platform changed the 1.2x etc... Surges to $1.25 up to $10.25 added to your fair, that's only if your in the area with the surge! What are y'all thought on this if any?
I DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL! They are still charging the customer the same but paying us less. Here is a few examples

Attachments

ctb

Just remember that we get paid from miles and time. That's it. I hear what your saying, but unfortunately we don't get a percentage of the other fees.