The Most Important Self-Driving Car Announcement Yet

tomatopaste

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...ant-self-driving-car-announcement-yet/556712/

• Waymo will be capable of doing vast numbers of trips per day. They estimate that the Jaguar fleet alone will be capable of doing a million trips each day in 2020.
  • But the qualitative impact will be even bigger. Right now, maybe 10,000 or 20,000 people have ever ridden in a self-driving car, in any context. Far fewer have been in a vehicle that is truly absent a driver. Up to a million people could have that experience every day in 2020.
  • But for Waymo’s program, that line of questioning is becoming a red herring. Waymo is not spending a billion dollars on cars for a fleet because they are not sure if their technology works. It works well enough to begin rolling it out to a million people a day.

tomatopaste

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not getting in a self driving car. No way.

I suspect you won't either.

Also, a whole lot of people drive for a living. A whole lot of people rely on people who drive for a living.

This is all madness.
You suspect wrong. Sack up. Small girls are using Waymo every day

RamzFanz

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...ant-self-driving-car-announcement-yet/556712/

• Waymo will be capable of doing vast numbers of trips per day. They estimate that the Jaguar fleet alone will be capable of doing a million trips each day in 2020.
  • But the qualitative impact will be even bigger. Right now, maybe 10,000 or 20,000 people have ever ridden in a self-driving car, in any context. Far fewer have been in a vehicle that is truly absent a driver. Up to a million people could have that experience every day in 2020.
  • But for Waymo’s program, that line of questioning is becoming a red herring. Waymo is not spending a billion dollars on cars for a fleet because they are not sure if their technology works. It works well enough to begin rolling it out to a million people a day.
What we need to remember, is this is just one partner. How many are already partnered and how many are to come?

I'm not getting in a self driving car. No way.

I suspect you won't either.

Also, a whole lot of people drive for a living. A whole lot of people rely on people who drive for a living.

This is all madness.
Said the wagon-wheel maker to the candlestick maker.

A $14 market waits for no one.

Fortunately, everyone will see it coming from many years away, if you're paying attention and not ostriching.

Oh good so they can get on the freeway now?
Yes, they could. Freeways are the easy part. It's where they started. They moved to the cities to learn the hard part.

tohunt4me

They

They will do it once.
Say " DONE THAT BEEN THERE"
" BOUGHT THE T SHIRT & BURNT IT " !

And blow it off as a boring mundane experience.Lacking " TRUE SERVICE" and human interaction.

They will fizzle much more rapidly than their arrival !

Remember . . .

" EDSEL !
Car of the FUTURE "!

Humming " New Kid in Town"- the Eagles.

tohunt4me

You suspect wrong. Sack up. Small girls are using Waymo every day
Smells Like Teen Spirit !

" Here we are now
Entertain us . . ."

E
lol as if a dynamic driving environment and a static factory environment are comparable in any way shape or form.
Exactly

Show those robots handle 10 different body styles one after the other.

They CANT.

THEY CAN DRIVE IN CIRCLES THOUGH.

REPETITIVE MOTION THEIR SPECIALTY.

Tailgaters

lol as if a dynamic driving environment and a static factory environment are comparable in any way shape or form.
Actually heynow321 tohunt4me my comparison is between the past factory works and present uber drivers attitudes
Both feel/felt they are irreplaceable
Both feel/felt their skills could not be replicated
Both feel/felt only they could do their respective skill set

In reality the factory workers were skilled labor (replaced)
Conversely
Uber drivers are low skill low wage (eminent replacement)

WeirdBob

And yet, they don't. Prison is a *****.
And expensive as ****!

http://www.lao.ca.gov/PolicyAreas/CJ/6_cj_inmatecost
  • It costs an average of about $71,000 per year to incarcerate an inmate in prison in California.
  • Over three-quarters of these costs are for security and inmate health care.
  • Since 2010-11, the average annual cost has increased by about $22,000 or about 45 percent. This includes an increase of $7,900 for security and $7,200 for inmate health care. This increase has been driven by various factors, including (1) employee compensation, (2) increased inmate health care costs, and (3) operational costs related to additional prison capacity to reduce prison overcrowding.

tohunt4me

And expensive as ****!

• It costs an average of about $71,000 per year to incarcerate an inmate in prison in California.
  • Since 2010-11, the average annual cost has increased by about $22,000 or about 45 percent. This includes an increase of $7,900 for security and $7,200 for inmate health care. This increase has been driven by various factors, including (1) employee compensation, (2) increased inmate health care costs, and (3) operational costs related to additional prison capacity to reduce prison overcrowding.
Robot prison guards next.

RamzFanz

And expensive as ****!

Welcome to CA. Please hand your overlords your wallet.

heynow321

Yes, they could. Freeways are the easy part. It's where they started. They moved to the cities to learn the hard part.
oh good! please show me a video of a SDC entering a freeway, changing lanes, dealing with traffic, entering another freeway, then exiting. should be pretty simple right? I assume there are tons of examples of SDC's doing that. I just can't seem to find any for some reason though!