The MF'er just passed us

TemptingFate

It is called fraud.
Uber creates a perverse incentive by paying more for a driver to cancel than for a driver to take a minimum fare trip. Defrauding drivers is Uber's bread and butter so it's no surprise that drivers work within the exploitative system to maximize their minimal returns.

Elland Rd

so it's no surprise that drivers work within the exploitative system to maximize their minimal returns.
One could argue that if the job is so bad that they have to resort to defrauding pax to make money, then maybe they should find another job. But since Uber forces drivers to drive at gunpoint I guess that argument is moot.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of course. But Rohit didn't want to see the footage. Uber had carried out what I call an "administrative suspension" - they automatically suspend the driver immediately upon receiving the complaint from the pax.
Don't ask them or care what they say. You'll always get an email in a situation like that. Send the link to the video in a reply email.

TemptingFate

Uber forces drivers to work the system the way UP.net forces members to be sarcastic. It's not required but it's par for the course.

The Gift of Fish

Don't ask them or care what they say. You'll always get an email in a situation like that. Send the link to the video in a reply email.
I carried on driving for Lyft for a few more hours and was reactivated by Uber before I even got home to get the video off my dashcam. As I said, they don't care about evidence in these cases and in this particular case it wasn't even necessary to send it - the suspensions are just knee jerk reactions to pax' complaints.

Bonmot

In my evolution as an UberMite, I haven't gotten to the point of purposely shuffling (yet) though I can't seem to summon the moral certitude to criticize those who do. But unlike my early days, I don't put much effort into finding a rider if they aren't where they're supposed to be. As long as the pin says I'm where I was called to go and the countdown timer has activated, I'm good.

For safety's sake I don't answer the phone while on duty, but if the pax messages me to tell me they're somewhere else nearby and can I come to them, I do immediately open an investigation in order to determine if it's reasonable. I open Google maps and figure out my latitude and longitude by estimating the position of the sun. Then I calculate a vector toward their estimated position. Then I take a wind measurement. Then I get out and check my tire pressure. By then the timer has run out and Uber has directed me to cancel and who am I to argue with Uber?

nickclinic

In my evolution as an UberMite, I haven't gotten to the point of purposely shuffling (yet) though I can't seem to summon the moral certitude to criticize those who do. But unlike my early days, I don't put much effort into finding a rider if they aren't where they're supposed to be. As long as the pin says I'm where I was called to go and the countdown timer has activated, I'm good.

For safety's sake I don't answer the phone while on duty, but if the pax messages me to tell me they're somewhere else nearby and can I come to them, I do immediately open an investigation in order to determine if it's reasonable. I open Google maps and figure out my latitude and longitude by estimating the position of the sun. Then I calculate a vector toward their estimated position. Then I take a wind measurement. Then I get out and check my tire pressure. By then the timer has run out and Uber has directed me to cancel and who am I to argue with Uber?
QUOTE="Bonmot, post: 6065443, member: 165361"]

Your

[/QUOTE]

Your GOAT

LADryver

Uber creates a perverse incentive by paying more for a driver to cancel than for a driver to take a minimum fare trip. Defrauding drivers is Uber's bread and butter so it's no surprise that drivers work within the exploitative system to maximize their minimal returns.
It is defrauding the would-be rider. They do not make Uber policies. They might be on their last ten dollars. Haven't you ever scraped by? So what if cancel costs more. It is a dispicable act and actually a waste if your true earning potential. No pings, but the guy around the corner wants to go twenty miles. You are not the one to get it. Happens a lot. Opportunity is Online and available or dropping off. Not starting a ride, and certainly not by doing lazy stupid stuff like fraud shuffling.

Last edited:

TemptingFate

It is defrauding the would-be rider. They do not make Uber policies. They might be on their last ten dollars. Haven't you ever scraped by?
Most Uber drivers are just scraping by, borrowing against the equity in their car to pay the monthly bills.
Riders can contact Uber for a refund if they feel the cancellation fee was unjust.
Now make the argument that drivers are defrauding Uber stockholders.

oldfart

It's at Walmart.
that makes sense

and if he cancelled because it’s a Walmart pick up, his story about driving by slowly so the passenger could see him and identify himself, and then stopping so the passenger could walk to him. Is bs And being insulted or afraid when the passenger said “the mf’er passed us by” Is more bs

If the op knew he was going to cancel as soon as he saw it was a Walmart pickup his story is nothing but an excuse for his own bad behavior

kc ub'ing!

I’m light skinned too. If my driver rolled passed me, I’d drop a wtf myself. Obviously you weren’t intended to hear it.

If folks actually heard the vitriol I’m constantly exclaiming presumably out of earshot, I’d be in heaps of trouble.

You weren’t meant to hear, best course, pretend you didn’t.

LADryver

It's at Walmart.
I have had 30 mile trips from Wal-Mart and Costco. But if losing a bet nobody made with you works, then spin the wheel and lose all you want. You lose the next ride by waiting five minutes, and you lose possibilities by making assumptions. Yay more for the rest of us. But I will tell you one thing. It broke my compassionate heart when someone indicated to me they had no other way to get another ride. You are a walking axx.

Director T.Y. Sanchez

Oh my! Another amateur who thinks all ya gotta do is turn the key & go & you make life changing money at 40 yo cab fares.

You lose the next ride by waiting five minutes

Yeah, amateur, & you lose the next 2 by spending all that time on that 1 trip for $3.75

It broke my compassionate heart
Ain't no room in this biz. for no compassion.

You are a walking axx.
Boo hoo

LADryver

Oh my! Another amateur who thinks all ya gotta do is turn the key & go & you make life changing money at 40 yo cab fares.

Yeah, amateur, & you lose the next 2 by spending all that time on that 1 trip for $3.75

Ain't no room in this biz. for no compassion.

Boo hoo
Just so you cried.