The Man in the High Castle.

KGB7

The TV show is back, Episode 2 came out last weekend and episode 3 came out last night. I highly recommend you watch it, its well done with great actors.

It was canceled after one episode, but got picked up after almost a year.

The Man in the High Castle (1962) is an alternate history novel by American writer Philip K. Dick. Set in 1962, fifteen years after an alternate ending to World War II in which the war lasted until 1947, the novel concerns intrigues between the victorious Axis PowersImperial Japan and Nazi Germany—as they rule over the former United States, as well as daily life under the resulting totalitarian rule. The Man in the High Castle won the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1963.

KGB7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has no one watched the show yet??

Episode 10 just nuked my brain! WTF is going on !??!?

berserk42

I'm enjoying it. I'm on episode 5 or so.

I don't think this was actually cancelled? Thought it was just part of a group of pilots that Amazon released to gauge support for full development?

berserk42

Has no one watched the show yet??

Episode 10 just nuked my brain! WTF is going on !??!?
It's merely about trade minister Tagomi's ability to travel between parallel dimensions. It is apparent that Hitler is also able to or at least very interested in inter-dimensional travel.

KGB7

It's merely about trade minister Tagomi's ability to travel between parallel dimensions. It is apparent that Hitler is also able to or at least very interested in inter-dimensional travel.
Well, that ruined the show then. Could have been great if they didnt added scyfy.

berserk42

Well, that ruined the show then. Could have been great if they didnt added scyfy.
I really enjoyed the show up to the very last second of the first season. Then...WTF?! Oh. Well, it's obvious who the Man in the High Castle is (once you see his collection of films). Well, it's obvious this whole "resistance" is never going anywhere meaningful. Well, it's obvious if the show continues it will merely be about who is successful in taking over the whole world...Imperial Japan or Nazi Germany...which I still really want to see.

KGB7

I really enjoyed the show up to the very last second of the first season. Then...WTF?! Oh. Well, it's obvious who the Man in the High Castle is (once you see his collection of films). Well, it's obvious this whole "resistance" is never going anywhere meaningful. Well, it's obvious if the show continues it will merely be about who is successful in taking over the whole world...Imperial Japan or Nazi Germany...which I still really want to see.
Im still intrigued what the 2nd season will bring. But, parallel dimension travel?? Ill have to read the book to see if it mentions it.

I love syfy books that no one heard of or never made it to top 10 list. I think they are the best, because they dont conform to stream media, yet give a reader a truly unique experience.
I dont recall the name of the book, but it was a short syfy detective story, paperback, 200 pages and i couldnt it put it down. I read it none stop for 6 hours from start to finish. It was awesome.

I will never read Star Wars or Star Trek books of any kind, not because i have seen the movies and the show, but because the books IMHO would be too dull to read. Star Trek and Star Wars are meant to be a visual stimulation that can never be translated in to a book or from a book.

berserk42

I'm being hyperbolic when I mention parallel dimension travel. I mean, obviously it is part of the series, but I don't think Season 2 would focus on it. Season 2 would have to have more than Season 1, but I don't think they'll ruin the show by going full-bore hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. (Not implying hitchhikers is bad, I love it. But I love man in the high castle for completely different reasons).

Ayad

This discussion reminds me of the time when i joined a chat room back in the ninties eventually to engage with someone in a debate about which star trek captain was better. After a while, we noticed that almost everyone else had logged off.

berserk42

So, there's this interview here...reassuring regarding the direction of the show in future seasons...

http://www.vox.com/culture/2015/12/8/9871796/the-man-in-the-high-castle-review-amazon-interview

"It's straight from the book. That is the most overtly sci-fi moment of the show (Tagomi travelling to other dimension), and the one I'm most afraid of. I don't want the narrative to become overwhelmed by sci-fi, but on the other hand, there is science fiction in this narrative.

I did feel like, as a storyteller, it was important to establish the rules of this world before I finished the first season, so people would feel, looking back on the show, whenever it ends it had a coherence and an integrity and an intention from the start. It wasn't a thing where I was going to say, "Okay, season two now, here's the thing. Now you can have somebody wake up in a different reality." I have a shape in mind for the story that hopefully, when you look back, you'll see the justification for having that happen where it does."