• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The lights are timed ...

Sacto Burbs

On my excursion to the Outside Lands festival in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco my last ride at 3pm was an attractive, fit, 40ish man from a nice neighbourhood on a 1.5x. Said he he was going to see what all the hype was about. Every block had a stoplight for 15 blocks. He asked if I could drive faster and I said I could but I drive to the lights - and pointed to the red light ahead. I told him they were timed to 25mph and lo and behold they changed to green cascading as we came downhill. Ah, he said, so I've learned something - you must be the smoothest driver in The City. I just smiled. No tip, but at almost $2.00 a mile I was a happy Sacto rube driving in San Francisco.

pizza guy

My record in suburban Chicago is 15 miles of greens in a 45-50 mph zone. Every couple of miles you pass the same sports car stopped at the red just as the light turns green then he guns it past you. 15 miles without touching the left peddle does wonders for your mpg.
Most important lesson I learned so far is that reducing your per mile cost is as important as increasing your per mile revenue. Learn your cars sweet spot and drive to max mpg.

UberXTampa

My record in suburban Chicago is 15 miles of greens in a 45-50 mph zone. Every couple of miles you pass the same sports car stopped at the red just as the light turns green then he guns it past you. 15 miles without touching the left peddle does wonders for your mpg.
Most important lesson I learned so far is that reducing your per mile cost is as important as increasing your per mile revenue. Learn your cars sweet spot and drive to max mpg.
When I do that in central avenue, ulmerton rd etc... And I keep passing the sports cars at the lights, I am sure they are annoyed to see the same Prius again and again...

mizzrock

On my excursion to the Outside Lands festival in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco my last ride at 3pm was an attractive, fit, 40ish man from a nice neighbourhood on a 1.5x. Said he he was going to see what all the hype was about. Every block had a stoplight for 15 blocks. He asked if I could drive faster and I said I could but I drive to the lights - and pointed to the red light ahead. I told him they were timed to 25mph and lo and behold they changed to green cascading as we came downhill. Ah, he said, so I've learned something - you must be the smoothest driver in The City. I just smiled. No tip, but at almost $2.00 a mile I was a happy Sacto rube driving in San Francisco.
Must've been on Fell, Pine or possibly Turk. :smiles:

pizza guy

I'm annoyed by almost all Prius drivers in Chicagoland. They tend to slow traffic thinking 70mph is acceptable in the left lane. I couldn't fit in the drivers seat at the auto show, can't imagine what it's like for your passengers. FYI I drive a Grand Marquis with crap city and great highway mpg and plenty of legroom for pax.

Older Chauffeur

I'm annoyed by almost all Prius drivers in Chicagoland. They tend to slow traffic thinking 70mph is acceptable in the left lane. I couldn't fit in the drivers seat at the auto show, can't imagine what it's like for your passengers. FYI I drive a Grand Marquis with crap city and great highway mpg and plenty of legroom for pax.
Check out specs for most cars at Edmunds.com. The Prius has more front legroom than your Mercury, although two inches less in the rear at 36", probably adequate for most passengers. I'm 6' and 235, and fit comfortably in what is now my third Prius. Compare your "crap city and great highway mpg" to a Prius and the two inches may not seem so important.:frown: Do only Prius drivers go 70 in the fast lane, but no other cars? :rolleyes:

pizza guy

Check out specs for most cars at Edmunds.com. The Prius has more front legroom than your Mercury, although two inches less in the rear at 36", probably adequate for most passengers. I'm 6' and 235, and fit comfortably in what is now my third Prius. Compare your "crap city and great highway mpg" to a Prius and the two inches may not seem so important.:frown: Do only Prius drivers go 70 in the fast lane, but no other cars? :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind next time I car shop. I admit this was long time ago at the auto show and I weighed 40 pounds more.