• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The LAST straw

CoolAnt

Uber just ruined the one good feature about Uber - Set Destinations.

Their new policy is:

"When a driver sets a destination, we estimate the time to their destination. They are automatically logged off after 2.5x their estimated time to destination to prevent gaming"

This means you can no longer pull over and wait for a trip going in the same direction. They will just remove it. For me, this is the last straw.

Uber is not ride sharing. Uber is ANTI-RIDESHARING!!! Uber is not fun for drivers. Uber is ANTI-DRIVERS!

Worst company ever. No way am i paying their GST after this. No way am i going to stay silenced by them after this.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

CoolAnt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel for you, I really do.
However, Sydney has set destinations / destination filter, Adelaide doesn't even have it.
Go figure. This is a technology company we are talking about.
You have to work things to your advantage, buddy.
Do what you have to do. It is your business.
It simply means that when i go somewhere from now on i will have to start calling or texting riders to check destinations. Or I'll just do Uber less. So much for ride sharing.

How can we be independent contractors running a business if Uber change the rules without telling drivers? There is no transparency about how jobs are allocated. They push drivers offline for not accepting unprofitable jobs. We are but employees.

Syd-Uberer

"When a driver sets a destination, we estimate the time to their destination. They are automatically logged off after 2.5x their estimated time to destination to prevent gaming"
Where did you see this? I just tried going online with destination set but didn't see this message. Or perhaps they already have been doing this. That would explain the seemingly "random" time when I've seen a destination time out. It would depend how long I've been waiting between rides.

One way around it is to set destination as far away as possible, in the direction you want to go. There's always the risk that you'll go too far past where you want to go and then need to backtrack, but its better than the destination timing out. Just leave enough time to get to where you need to be.

It simply means that when i go somewhere from now on i will have to start calling or texting riders to check destinations.
Many drivers on here will argue against it, but I think this will be the only way!!

You have to work things to your advantage, buddy.
Do what you have to do. It is your business.
Exactly. If it means we need to be more dodgy to make it work for us, then so be it! Ultimately they screw us over, the service will fall and their reputation is on the line.

Who is John Galt?

Author
It simply means that when i go somewhere from now on i will have to start calling or texting riders to check destinations. Or I'll just do Uber less. So much for ride sharing.
Call the people. No don't call the people. The ridiculous phone diversion routing system seems to have the phone call routed through 17 countries and the delay in transmission is probably caused by the signal bouncing to 1950 and back (in star time).
I find it impossible to converse with most pax via the in-app phone system.

I always pull over and text and say something like this:

Who is John Galt? said:
I am heading in a southerly direction from your current location.
Happy to pick-up if you are headed in the same general direction.
If not, please cancel and re-book.
What direction are you headed?

This gives you protection in a number of areas.
Firstly you have (text) documentation of the communication.
I have a program where I can download and file all text messages, threads and communications.
Secondly, you are asking for and providing a service to someone going in the same direction. The exact destination is not important.
Thirdly, there is absolutely nothing wrong in conducting your business this way.
Finally, it is common sense.

The Über geniuses didn't invent the destination filter for no reason. Unfortunately we just have to do it the hard way.

Mr Fetch It

One way around it is to set destination as far away as possible, in the direction you want to go.

Exactly. If it means we need to be more dodgy to make it work for us, then so be it! Ultimately they screw us over, the service will fall and their reputation is on the line.
Yup, going west? Select Bathurst, South? Nowra, North? Newcastle... You never know, and if they are going all the way, you can drive them half way and they'll probs still be happy :wink:

Wish they had destinations here though...

CoolAnt

Where did you see this? I just tried going online with destination set but didn't see this message. Or perhaps they already have been doing this. That would explain the seemingly "random" time when I've seen a destination time out. It would depend how long I've been waiting between rides.
I messaged Uber about 25 times and finally one of their agents revealed this policy to me. All the other agents told me to restart my phone and wait 20 seconds.

I get the feeling that Uber is being very sly and my trust in thos organisation is at an all time low.

FYI i just called my first rider since my destinations already expired. I told him to cancel and rebook of he isn't going south.

Yup, going west? Select Bathurst, South? Nowra, North? Newcastle... You never know, and if they are going all the way, you can drive them half way and they'll probs still be happy :wink:

Wish they had destinations here though...
Good idea!

Syd-Uberer

Pretty much what I do, although there's limits how far out you can set. Otherwise it'll just refuse to do anything, but it doesn't actually tell you its too far!

I messaged Uber about 25 times and finally one of their agents revealed this policy to me. All the other agents told me to restart my phone and wait 20 seconds.
That sounds about right. It always takes countless messages to get through to someone who has knowledge and authority to resolve something more complex or provide a non scripted response!

I've had call backs twice now, that was a real struggle to get. Most recent case was chasing a trip that kept showing up as $0 for over a week! Despite countless replies of "it will update in 24-48 hours" it never did. Pay cycle went through and still didn't get added on! Eventually after speaking to a guy it was fixed and paid the following week.

TONY-T

uhhhh can't you just set your destination further then your intended location??? That's what I do. Have never been timed out.

Reactions: ncc

Mulder99

I also set destination further than my home....

Home is about 30 mins from CBD, the longest I've had it before timeout is 90 mins...

Humbersnipe

Pretty much what I do, although there's limits how far out you can set. Otherwise it'll just refuse to do anything, but it doesn't actually tell you its too far!

That sounds about right. It always takes countless messages to get through to someone who has knowledge and authority to resolve something more complex or provide a non scripted response!

I've had call backs twice now, that was a real struggle to get. Most recent case was chasing a trip that kept showing up as $0 for over a week! Despite countless replies of "it will update in 24-48 hours" it never did. Pay cycle went through and still didn't get added on! Eventually after speaking to a guy it was fixed and paid the following week.
Well on the 13th February I had 23$ taken from that day's takings.
I got in touch with them but just got the run-a-round can you send a screen shot of what! I don't get screen shots of my daily takings..I was not happy about it.
I had a rider in that morning whom sent uber a msg about my conversation about cyclists in the city...uber sent the abligatory reply. I said that they where a bloody nuisance taking up lanes etc and you all know what I mean..
That fare was around 23$ but it still showed up as in the account...maybe pulling a sly on me....

Syd-Uberer

It sounds suss. Mine just never appeared in my daily earnings. In trip history I could see it, but not in the daily summary. It also kept saying processing and then trips after it were fine and appeared as normal.

In the end they said it could be some network problem that means the trip wasn't recorded correctly. I don't buy it since it was showing in trip history.

We need to always check our trips and make sure they aren't pulling a sly one on us!!

ricdam

The policy is a direct quote from Uber
That doesn't mean anything. As you said, 20 other customer service didn't quote that.

What about me and other members not being disconnect after 2.5?

This is false rumours.

CoolAnt

That doesn't mean anything. As you said, 20 other customer service didn't quote that.

What about me and other members not being disconnect after 2.5?

This is false rumours.
Not sure about you but they seem to be applying this rule to me. I got stuck in Barden Ridge at 3am last week when the destination expired. My destination was on the Nothern Beaches. I had a trip where the rider had the wrong destination set so he changed it from north to somewhere really far south and then Uber deleted my destination after waiting over an hour for another ping. If they had of warned me about this idiotic and anti-ant policy i would have made a business decision to not turn on Uber that night. And then it happened again yesterday after about 40mins the destination expired amd left me stranded.