Uber Drivers Forum banner

South Florida drivers, in the past 7 days, how many TIPs have you received?

• Have never received a tip

• None in the past 7 days

• More than 5

The inside scoop on TIPS $$$$

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Jae Garcia 
#1 ·
Now that I have been working uber for nearly one week (and Lyft for only a couple of rides) I am very disappointed that tips in South Florida are a rarity in both platforms. I drive a brand new infiniti suv, keep my vehicle spotless, i keep myself well put together/presentable even in the blasting afternoon heat, professional, engage in conversation only when prompted, make recommendations on local attractions and entertainment. No one really seems to value any if this! I'm beyond surprised that even business professionals who are more in tune w gratuities n have perdiem money are not leaving a tip. Even the wealthiest 1% living in cocoplum aren't budging on tips!!! My biggest tip to date has come from a waitress, bless her heart!!!

It's beyond surprising that riders have a culture of tipping cabbies but not to a private driver who is going out of their way to deliver a pleasant and comfortable experience.

Expecting to get a tip on uber or lyft in this part of the country is like hoping to catch a glimpse of that elusive sasquatch.

Lastly, to end my rant, what is up with Lyft system where u can't see how much of a tip was given for a ride. That is ABSURD!!! I feel like a child, I can't see what's behind the wall ... lyft flaunts their platform for their ability to allow u to mk tips but the they hide this information behind smoking mirrors makes me feel like I'm dealing with a used car salesman - very disappointing!

See less See more
#2 ·
Why do I give a crap what you're wearing? The only thing I care about is being picked up by a clean car and decent driver. I always tip and I give extra when my driver *****es about Uber/Lyft to me.

You can see the tips on Lyft the following morning or through the "Pay Instantly" feature (as long as you have a minimum of $50 payout). I wish they'd update their system to mirror Uber.

#3 ·
When the pax asks for other stops I'm happy to oblige and that usually gets me tips. Picked up a stripper this morning and it was a fun little ride. I made her laugh; she gave me a little back massage. Got 9 bucks and her phone number. Gotta say, it's blind luck and maybe my good attitude, but the tips have been all right.

#4 ·
Lol, ok so perhaps I didn't articulate that point very well. I believe that people expect a luxury driver to at least have the courtesy to look presentable and not have any BO . All I'm saying that I deliver o this dimension. I don't expect a tip for brushing my teeth n combing my hair :p.

#7 ·
No , no signs. Maybe its the crying like a baby that gets me the occasional tip. I do talk a lot. The fact that I can converse and generally make humorous remarks might help. Some people I really bond with. Often I wish i could hang out with the pax. I told that girl I d miss her and I did...we could have gotten into a whole lotta trouble though, so it was for the best.

Sometimes i do mention tips,but no signs or jars. Nenee, nejsi Česka? That's a Czech word...and nice profile pic. Swan Lake?

#10 ·
I started getting more tips after putting up signs in the back. I also got more 5 stars too. Alot are just cheap and thats why they take uber. Many have told me its cheaper then taking the bus.

But most of the tips do come from just people you would think would not tip at all. Any time I have picked up some rich pricks, they have never ever tipped even after they ask me about if I make lots of money driving for Uber. I guess not tipping makes you rich. :)

#11 ·
I was driving Uber for a Few weeks and logged in over 100 rides in a month, however only 5% actually left me a tip.
I drove a clean Audi and I would pick up people from all walks of life. Some of them were sweet, some of them were rude, some smelled, some asked for my number and the end results were only 5% of my passengers tipped.
I had this one passenger from the Fort Lauderdale airport that mentioned he always tips the drivers and he wanted me to stop at Dunkin Donuts, so I did, upon dropping him off, he did not tip.
I've had waitresses and servers heading home and mention all the money they made that day, and still no tip.

#15 ·
Now that I have been working uber for nearly one week (and Lyft for only a couple of rides) I am very disappointed that tips in South Florida are a rarity in both platforms. I drive a brand new infiniti suv, keep my vehicle spotless, i keep myself well put together/presentable even in the blasting afternoon heat, professional, engage in conversation only when prompted, make recommendations on local attractions and entertainment. No one really seems to value any if this! I'm beyond surprised that even business professionals who are more in tune w gratuities n have perdiem money are not leaving a tip. Even the wealthiest 1% living in cocoplum aren't budging on tips!!! My biggest tip to date has come from a waitress, bless her heart!!!

It's beyond surprising that riders have a culture of tipping cabbies but not to a private driver who is going out of their way to deliver a pleasant and comfortable experience.

Expecting to get a tip on uber or lyft in this part of the country is like hoping to catch a glimpse of that elusive sasquatch.

Lastly, to end my rant, what is up with Lyft system where u can't see how much of a tip was given for a ride. That is ABSURD!!! I feel like a child, I can't see what's behind the wall ... lyft flaunts their platform for their ability to allow u to mk tips but the they hide this information behind smoking mirrors makes me feel like I'm dealing with a used car salesman - very disappointing!
Miami Natives are cheap ****s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.