• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The Inconveniece Of Beth

The Inconvenience of Beth

August in San Diego is usually hot. Wildfire hot. The mornings usually hang with the heat of the prior day, and the afternoon are triple figures away from the coast.

Usually.

ACT ONE

I had completed my first early airport run and while others may shudder at the “shorties” of the five mile hotel shuttles, it was part of my morning strategy before digging out of the Central Business District. I had pulled up outside of the Marriott, clear of sight of the Bell Captain. The fog hung eerily heavy, as though it knew evil was coming.

4D0B936E-0C84-4393-82CE-C9A109951340.jpeg

The Ping came in. I turned the engine on, drove the eighty feet or so to the Pick Up zone, parking just short of the front door of the Mariott. There was no one around, and as I was the only vehicle present, I shut the engine off. Through the floor-to-ceiling windows, I saw a larger woman striding across the lobby. Cell phone in hand, looking down, pulling wheeled luggage. She turned and walked towards me. I alighted and went to the rear of my black SUV, and opened the hatch as she drew alongside.

"Good morning ma'am," I greeted her with a smile. "Your name please?"

She looked down at her cell phone, then back up at me.

"No, you tell me who you are."

I smiled. "That's not how it works ma'am. Drivers only have a passenger name, you have all my information including a photograph." I pointed at her cell phone and although she covered it up, it looked like I was wearing the same shirt in the photograph. "Your name, please, ma'am?"

"It's not really convenient for me to tell you who I am."

I closed the hatch of my vehicle and continued to smile

"Thank you ma'am. I wont be taking you today. When you're next driver arrives, please tell them your name."

I turned and began to walk towards the drivers door.

"Your leaving me here?" she called out. "That's not very convenient."

I drove to the bottom of the circular drive and began to wait out the five minute timer. Beth cancelled and I received the pop up message from Uber advising that the rider cancelled within two minutes, and I wasn't getting paid. I drafted a message to support outlining her commentary, pressed "send" and almost immediately, got a request from the adjacent Hilton Hotel.

ACT TWO

San Diego airport has a departure curfew from midnight to 6am. Consequently, passengers who have to fly east, need to be on flights between 6am and 8am. On Harbor Drive, I pulled in behind a red Honda Insight with a single passenger in the rear seat, for the five minute single lane crawl up to departures. The Honda had three Ebay bought LED lights for Uber, Lyft and Doordash illuminated in the rear window. I swore a profanity at the driver under my breath. At American Airlines, I pulled into the unloading zone and was already at the hatch removing the passenger luggage before the Honda finally came to stop. The Honda had parked at an angle across the front of my vehicle, the back end of his car protruding into the traffic lane - much to the tottering horns of every one who had followed us up and was now blocked. As I closed the hatch, I saw her. It was Beth, my "name refusing passenger" from the Marriott. She saw me smiling at her, as she rounded the front of my vehicle.

She wasn't smiling.

I watched her raise her right hand above her head, and bring her cell phone down against my front passenger door. It was noisy, but I heard the unmistakable sound of metal gouging metal. Chills went up my back - she had struck my vehicle. In the 0.76 seconds it took me to circle the car, Beth had already stepped onto the kerb and was giving me a smuggly "what are you going to do about it" grin, as she turned and strode into the terminal. I looked at the door, she had struck with such force she had cut through the black paint down to the white metal. It was a small scratch, but it was wilful damage none the less. As I stood there, the driver of the Honda walked over.

"Man, was she upset. Some bastard left her standing on the kerb at the hotel."

I turned to him and said "I'm the bastard."

The driver of the Honda confirmed that his passenger, Beth, had been furious from the moment he picked her up at the Marriott. He stated that she was swearing at him, about being left behind by another driver. I told him that I was going to need some details of his trip to complete my report.

He said "Whoa, this ain't my problem. This is all on you, white man."

White man?

On the rear passenger headrest of the Honda I caught a glimpse of water bottles, and a sign that I couldn't read, but had the unmistakable five yellow stars in the middle of it. I'd seen and heard enough of this Dumb Ant.

"How many rides have you done?' I asked inquiringly.

The driver of the Honda puffed out his chest and smiled. "I've done almost 400 rides and have a driver rating of 4.91." Oh, he was so proud of that. Never saw me getting ready to school him.

"Listen up, 4.91. Here's how this is going to go down. You're going to share the details of your ride with me, because when I submit my report and document that your passenger, at the end of your ride, damaged my vehicle, and you refused to pass on identifying particulars, I'd say you have three, maybe four hours before Uber deactivates you. "

He stopped smiling, but I wasn't finished.

"Then, if you're lucky, if Harbor Police decide that this is a motor vehicle incident and you haven't shared the details of your rider, you might receive a suspension for failing to furnish particulars at a traffic accident, which will stay on your driving record and cost you more money on your insurance, and then Uber will deactivate you, permanently. So you've got five seconds to decide on where you're going to side."

I wasn't sure about the suspension, but the fear was enough to send 4.91 back to the drivers side of his vehicle.

"And pull into the kerb, you park like a moron."

4.91 parked then shared the details of his ride. Sure enough, he had picked up Beth at the Marriott. I screenshot his ride and then let him screen shot mine. I told him to submit a report to cover his ass. I asked him if he knew where Beth was flying to.

"Chicago," he replied.

I said "I've got six hours to pluck this itch," or words that sounded similar to that.

4.91 and I went to the Staging Lot where I showed him how I put my report together. I then helped him put his report together.

"Now what do I do," he asked after pressing submit.

"Nothing," I said. "Except maybe get rid of the waterbottles in your car. You don't need them." 4.91 hadn't heard of Uberpeople so I showed him the Forums and some of the horror stories. "You need to be on the Forums so you know what you're doing, and how to save your ass." *

I left 4.91 and drove to a body shop that had recently worked on one of my daughters vehicle. I pointed out the damage and they said they could give me a quote in under fifteen minutes. When the quote came back at $800 for one scratch, I had to inquire.

"The hit is down to the metal near two doors, most of the cost would be in the repainting of the two doors."

A6E4C2AC-2845-44A6-8267-77E52ACF876D.jpeg

I didn't care, I wasn't going to repair. I was here to inconvenience Beth. I took the quote, snapped a picture of it and sent it to Uber.

Within the hour of attending the body shop, I received the first email back from Uber. They had reviewed my information and based on that, they were forwarding me a $10 credit. That was more than the markets cancellation fees, and more than the fare itself.

I didn't care.

About two hours later while on a long trip to John Wayne Airport (SNA) , my cell phone popped up a notification of an email form Uber. I drove the last 30 miles of that trip just waiting to see what Uber had to say. After dropping off and not getting a rematch, I drove into the JWA Staging Lot to open the email.

Uber had assessed the damage and had awarded me a $250 damage fee. I looked at my watch - Beth was still in the air, but probably on approach to Chicago.

I don't know what happens on the passenger side when this type of stuff occurs, in fact, I didn't care. But today I did.

Here's how my mind would like to think that this went down.

ACT THREE

Beth, having been left behind by our charming Hero (that would be me), takes her frustration out as collateral damage on her second driver; 4.91...and doesn't tip him. Then, getting out at San Diego airport, she sees our Hero who "inconvenienced" her, parked right behind her Uber. She knows she's on a flight back to Chicago - she thinks she's home free. But, she's vengefully, spiteful, just another angry woman in our Heroes life. She is so pissed off that our Hero didn't kowtow to her ways, that she strikes at the only thing of value she knows the Hero has - his trusty steed, his black SUV.

Having damaged his steed, Beth confidently strides into the check in counter, rewards herself by upgrading to First Class.

"Never mind the cost," Beth tells the counter gal as she passes across her credit card. "I just showed a man who's boss."

Beth boards American Airlines, turns her cell phone off as the hot towels come around. Orders herself two cocktails and pays with her own credit card, to reward herself some more, for hurting our Hero.

Six hours later, Beth arrives in Chicago. She's still smiling from ear to ear, having relived her victory hundreds of time over during the flight. She collects her luggage and heads towards the Uber pick up zone. She reaches into her pocket, pulls out her cell phone and turns it on. The phone comes on as she reaches the Uber zone.

Ping. There's an email from Rohit. "Thanks for your patronage. As a result of our investigations where you did not provide a driver your name, in contravention of our terms of service, your credit card has been debited a cancellation fee of $10 payable to your driver."

Beth is upset.

Ping. There's a second email from Rohit. "Thanks for your patronage. As a result of investigations where you damaged a drivers vehicle, in contravention of our terms of service, your credit card has been debitted a damage fee of $250 payable to your driver."

Beth is livid. She's requests an Uber to drive her home. Another 4.91 driver arrives, and has to listen to her rail on drivers all the way out to the suburbs in rush hour traffic. There's no tip at the end of the ride. He three stars her and asks not to be paired with Beth again.

EPILOGUE

The following Friday, Beth gets a letter from her credit card company. As a result of the Uber damage damage fee, she maxed out her credit card when she upgraded herself to First Class. There's a $35 overdrawn fee payable on the two cocktails she bought in flight for $12.

* Admins or Mods can PM me for the email address to Paypal me a finders fee for another board member. :smiles:

Last edited:

The Gift of Fish

The Inconvenience of Beth

August in San Diego is usually hot. Wildfire hot. The mornings usually hang with the heat of the prior day, and the afternoon are triple figures away from the coast.

Usually.

ACT ONE

I had completed my first early airport run and while others may shudder at the “shorties” of the five mile hotel shuttles, it was part of my morning strategy before digging out of the Central Business District. I had pulled up outside of the Marriott, clear of sight of the Bell Captain. The fog hung eerily heavy, as though it knew evil was coming.

View attachment 341283

The Ping came in. I turned the engine on, drove the eighty feet or so to the Pick Up zone, parking just short of the front door of the Mariott. There was no one around, and as I was the only vehicle present, I shut the engine off. Through the floor-to-ceiling windows, I saw a larger woman striding across the lobby. Cell phone in hand, looking down, pulling wheeled luggage. She turned and walked towards me. I alighted and went to the rear of my black SUV, and opened the hatch as she drew alongside.

I smiled. "That's not how it works ma'am. Drivers only have a passenger name, you have all my information including a photograph." I pointed at her cell phone and although she covered it up, it looked like I was wearing the same shirt in the photograph. "Your name, please, ma'am?"

"It's not really convenient for me to tell you who I am."

I closed the hatch of my vehicle and continued to smile

"Thank you ma'am. I wont be taking you today. When you're next driver arrives, please tell them your name."

I turned and began to walk towards the drivers door.

"Your leaving me here?" she called out. "That's not very convenient."

I drove to the bottom of the circular drive and began to wait out the five minute timer. Beth cancelled and I received the pop up message from Uber advising that the rider cancelled within two minutes, and I wasn't getting paid. I drafted a message to support outlining her commentary, pressed "send" and almost immediately, got a request from the adjacent Hilton Hotel.

ACT TWO

San Diego airport has a departure curfew from midnight to 6am. Consequently, passengers who have to fly east, need to be on flights between 6am and 8am. On Harbor Drive, I pulled in behind a red Honda Insight with a single passenger in the rear seat, for the five minute single lane crawl up to departures. The Honda had three Ebay bought LED lights for Uber, Lyft and Doordash illuminated in the rear window. I swore a profanity at the driver under my breath. At American Airlines, I pulled into the unloading zone and was already at the hatch removing the passenger luggage before the Honda finally came to stop. The Honda had parked at an angle across the front of my vehicle, the back end of his car protruding into the traffic lane - much to the tottering horns of every one who had followed us up and was now blocked. As I closed the hatch, I saw her. It was Beth, my "name refusing passenger" from the Marriott. She saw me smiling at her, as she rounded the front of my vehicle.

She wasn't smiling.

I watched her raise her right hand above her head, and bring her cell phone down against my front passenger door. It was noisy, but I heard the unmistakable sound of metal gouging metal. Chills went up my back - she had struck my vehicle. In the 0.76 seconds it took me to circle the car, Beth had already stepped onto the kerb and was giving me a smuggly "what are you going to do about it" grin, as she turned and strode into the terminal. I looked at the door, she had struck with such force she had cut through the black paint down to the white metal. It was a small scratch, but it was wilful damage none the less. As I stood there, the driver of the Honda walked over.

"Man, was she upset. Some bastard left her standing on the kerb at the hotel."

I turned to him and said "I'm the bastard."

The driver of the Honda confirmed that his passenger, Beth, had been furious from the moment he picked her up at the Marriott. He stated that she was swearing at him, about being left behind by another driver. I told him that I was going to need some details of his trip to complete my report.

He said "Whoa, this ain't my problem. This is all on you, white man."

White man?

On the rear passenger headrest of the Honda I caught a glimpse of water bottles, and a sign that I couldn't read, but had the unmistakable five yellow stars in the middle of it. I'd seen and heard enough of this Dumb Ant.

"How many rides have you done?' I asked inquiringly.

The driver of the Honda puffed out his chest and smiled. "I've done almost 400 rides and have a driver rating of 4.91." Oh, he was so proud of that. Never saw me getting ready to school him.

"Listen up, 4.91. Here's how this is going to go down. You're going to share the details of your ride with me, because when I submit my report and document that your passenger, at the end of your ride, damaged my vehicle, and you refused to pass on identifying particulars, I'd say you have three, maybe four hours before Uber deactivates you. "

He stopped smiling, but I wasn't finished.

"Then, if you're lucky, if Harbor Police decide that this is a motor vehicle incident and you haven't shared the details of your rider, you might receive a suspension for failing to furnish particulars at a traffic accident, which will stay on your driving record and cost you more money on your insurance, and then Uber will deactivate you, permanently. So you've got five seconds to decide on where you're going to side."

I wasn't sure about the suspension, but the fear was enough to send 4.91 back to the drivers side of his vehicle.

"And pull into the kerb, you park like a moron."

4.91 parked then shared the details of his ride. Sure enough, he had picked up Beth at the Marriott. I screenshot his ride and then let him screen shot mine. I told him to submit a report to cover his ass. I asked him if he knew where Beth was flying to.

"Chicago," he replied.

I said "I've got six hours to pluck this itch," or words that sounded similar to that.

4.91 and I went to the Staging Lot where I showed him how I put my report together. I then helped him put his report together.

"Now what do I do," he asked after pressing submit.

"Nothing," I said. "Except maybe get rid of the waterbottles in your car. You don't need them." 4.91 hadn't heard of Uberpeople so I showed him the Forums and some of the horror stories. "You need to be on the Forums so you know what you're doing, and how to save your ass." *

I left 4.91 and drove to a body shop that had recently worked on one of my daughters vehicle. I pointed out the damage and they said they could give me a quote in under fifteen minutes. When the quote came back at $800 for one scratch, I had to inquire.

"The hit is down to the metal near two doors, most of the cost would be in the repainting of the two doors."

View attachment 341338

I didn't care, I wasn't going to repair. I was here to inconvenience Beth. I took the quote, snapped a picture of it and sent it to Uber.

Within the hour of attending the body shop, I received the first email back from Uber. They had reviewed my information and based on that, they were forwarding me a $10 credit. That was more than the markets cancellation fees, and more than the fare itself.

I didn't care.

About two hours later while on a long trip to John Wayne Airport (SNA) , my cell phone popped up a notification of an email form Uber. I drove the last 30 miles of that trip just waiting to see what Uber had to say. After dropping off and not getting a rematch, I drove into the JWA Staging Lot to open the email.

Uber had assessed the damage and had awarded me a $250 damage fee. I looked at my watch - Beth was still in the air, but probably on approach to Chicago.

I don't know what happens on the passenger side when this type of stuff occurs, in fact, I didn't care. But today I did.

Here's how my mind would like to think that this went down.

ACT THREE

Beth, having been left behind by our charming Hero (that would be me), takes her frustration out as collateral damage on her second driver; 4.91...and doesn't tip him. Then, getting out at San Diego airport, she sees our Hero who "inconvenienced" her, parked right behind her Uber. She knows she's on a flight back to Chicago - she thinks she's home free. But, she's vengefully, spiteful, just another angry woman in our Heroes life. She is so pissed off that our Hero didn't kowtow to her ways, that she strikes at the only thing of value she knows the Hero has - his trusty steed, his black SUV.

Having damaged his steed, Beth confidently strides into the check in counter, rewards herself by upgrading to First Class.

"Never mind the cost," Beth tells the counter gal as she passes across her credit card. "I just showed a man who's boss."

Beth boards American Airlines, turns her cell phone off as the hot towels come around. Orders herself two cocktails and pays with her own credit card, to reward herself some more, for hurting our Hero.

Six hours later, Beth arrives in Chicago. She's still smiling from ear to ear, having relived her victory hundreds of time over during the flight. She collects her luggage and heads towards the Uber pick up zone. She reaches into her pocket, pulls out her cell phone and turns it on. The phone comes on as she reaches the Uber zone.

Ping. There's an email from Rohit. "Thanks for your patronage. As a result of our investigations where you did not provide a driver your name, in contravention of our terms of service, your credit card has been debited a cancellation fee of $10 payable to your driver."

Beth is upset.

Ping. There's a second email from Rohit. "Thanks for your patronage. As a result of investigations where you damaged a drivers vehicle, in contravention of our terms of service, your credit card has been debitted a damage fee of $250 payable to your driver."

Beth is livid. She's requests an Uber to drive her home. Another 4.91 driver arrives, and has to listen to her rail on drivers all the way out to the suburbs in rush hour traffic. There's no tip at the end of the ride. He three stars her and asks not to be paired with Beth again.

EPILOGUE

The following Friday, Beth gets a letter from her credit card company. As a result of the Uber damage damage fee, she maxed out her credit card when she upgraded herself to First Class. There's a $35 overdrawn fee payable on the two cocktails she bought in flight for $12.

* Admins or Mods can PM me for the email address to Paypal me a finders fee for another board member. :smiles:
Don't settle for the $250 from Uber! This is just a soft limit.

I had a pax who opened a rear door, the wind took it and it opened all the way, hitting a lamp post. $780 of damage, according to the body shop quote.

Uber initially said that their insurance deductible was $1,000 and there was nothing they could do. I retorted that if their insurance didn't cover them then that was too bad - they sent me a pax who damaged my car and it was on them. They replied that they would give me $250. I told them that the bill was $780 and payment was now due.

After a lot of going back and forth, and me telling them that whatever they said was unacceptable, they finally caved. They said they have "a different insurance policy that they could access" and pay me the full $780. I got a check in the mail shortly afterwards.

Moral of the story: the $250 is a soft "let's offer them this and hope they go away" limit. Typical insurance trick; the oldest one in the book. Don't accept it.

Epilogue: less than 1 month later a speeding punk slammed into my car and totalled it while I was Ubering - Uber's insurer James River paid me full market value + an extra $1,200 that their loss adjuster over-valued the vehicle at.

ariel5466

Don't settle for the $250 from Uber! This is just a soft limit.

I had a pax who opened a rear door, the wind took it and it opened all the way, hitting a lamp post. $780 of damage, according to the body shop quote.

Uber initially said that their insurance deductible was $1,000 and there was nothing they could do. I retorted that if their insurance didn't cover them then that was too bad - they sent me a pax who damaged my car and it was on them. They replied that they would give me $250. I told them that the bill was $780 and payment was now due.

After a lot of going back and forth, and me telling them that whatever they said was unacceptable, they finally caved. They said they have "a different insurance policy that they could access" and pay me the full $780. I got a check in the mail shortly afterwards.

Moral of the story: the $250 is a soft "let's offer them this and hope they go away" limit. Typical insurance trick; the oldest one in the book. Don't accept it.

Epilogue: less than 1 month later a speeding punk slammed into my car and totalled it while I was Ubering - Uber's insurer James River paid me full market value + an extra $1,200 that their loss adjuster over-valued the vehicle at.
Good to know. I'd been wondering what would happen if a pax damages my door when opening it.

Ylinks

I smiled. "That's not how it works ma'am. Drivers only have a passenger name, you have all my information including a photograph."
Most women are not all that thrilled to be called Ma'am. To be honest, I probably would have just told her my name. But then lecturing, smugness and drama aren't that high on my agenda.

SFOspeedracer

I've been pitching MTV and VH1 from almost day one for the Uberpeople.net reality show.

View attachment 341517
If I had the outlets and networks to screenwrite or introduce script to a production for some of the shit I read on here, especially how some people write or go into detail, we could all just leave rideshare in the past completely and just be the main characters and extras for gig profit

NotMe

What is wrong with just take her where she needs to go and have everybody happy? When you have single passenger, not the one out of many clearly express intention to ride with you why not ask for destination if she refuse identify herself? I’m glad that everything ended up relatively well and you have uber cover damage but what if next time it would go other way?

The Gift of Fish

What is wrong with just take her where she needs to go and have everybody happy? When you have single passenger, not the one out of many clearly express intention to ride with you why not ask for destination if she refuse identify herself? I’m glad that everything ended up relatively well and you have uber cover damage but what if next time it would go other way?
What a defeatest attitude! Oh my gosh! :eek::wideyed:??

Did George Washington say at Valley Forge, "This is getting a bit chilly lads; let's pack up and go home."?

Did the Ghostbusters turn and run when faced with the Stay-Puft Marsallow man?

No. They did not. I put it to you sir that the spirit of this country is not formed by the spineless who give in to the Beths of this world just to get an easy out. Stand proud, man; stand tall. Maintain your valor, even when faced with scary women who must be taken to the airport immediately.