1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The idiocy and greed has killed my market

Discussion in 'UberEATS' started by Teksaz, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:04 AM.

1. Teksaz

Teksaz

This morning I log on thinking it's going to be busy like most mornings so as I approach my hotspot it seems different. Total silence from the app. I wait a few minutes still nothing. This is unheard of generally speaking. I decide to open the Uber Eats App to see if it was working and lo and behold I found the answer. Goober had increased their service fee so high that no one was ordering. I mean really, would you order an $8.00 dollar burrito and then pay Goober $7.99 to have it delivered?? Unbelievable

2. AND they get 30% of the 8.00 from the restaurant

AND they continue to lose billions per quarter

AND they just borrowed $2 billion dollars at 8% INTEREST!!!!!!!!! 8%!!!!! !

3. Teksaz

Teksaz

And of course the drivers are paying dearly for there incompetence.
    Today has been by far the worst day I've had in months.
    I'm wondering if they're slowly trying to kill off Eats?

4. Joe Dow

Joe Dow

NO.
    UEats know that drivers are short of money after November shopping and many will be looking for extra money in December.
    So, the plan is to push rates lower for UEats drivers and see how Uaeats drivers respond while company saves money.
    Plus, when there is a need, i.e delay in pickup, force delivery to UberX driver who is waiting long desperately for a ping by showing a guarantee which is still lower but saves money.
    UBER is a ruthless company

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018 at 2:11 PM
  5. OneRideOneVomit

OneRideOneVomit

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah same here in Chicago. Drivers just sitting in parking lots in strip malls everywhere and very low demand. Some places are charging $10.49

Teksaz likes this.
  6. I just noticed Uber inceeased all the booking fees by 50 cents. Minimum used to be $3.49, now it’s $3.99.

Teksaz likes this.
  7. 5AA7128A-609C-4DEB-857A-41AE450EED7C.jpeg E04F33D3-02F8-4180-9319-8789DABD474E.jpeg 4E445B83-881F-44DC-ACB0-50CDCFCCD757.jpeg 18267132-2B60-47C2-89D2-FD9312E0FB19.jpeg 5AA7128A-609C-4DEB-857A-41AE450EED7C.jpeg

I wonder why people don’t tip? I bet customers think the driver gets the full delivery fee. Hah.

Edited to add: the address I entered to get these prices was the Rice Bowl Deluxe restaurant. All the trips would be $2-$4 for the driver. Max. There is no boost in that area right now.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018 at 3:42 PM
  8. I'm wondering if they're slowly trying to kill off Eats?”
    More like: trying to kill off the disposable non employee drivers

Immoralized, Goongpad77 and FMLYEG like this.
  9. Teksaz

Teksaz

I'm off 9 deliveries from yesterday in the same amount of time. I guess Goober is counting on the higher service fees over volume.
    Also had two eaters complaining about the increase. It amazes me how stupid Uber is. They consistently piss off their drivers and now they've decided to piss off their customers. They'll never make money at this rate.

10. Immoralized, OJL, MoreTips and 5 others like this.
  11. Uber has been dead here for the last two days, six hours logged in yesterday and only had two deliveries and today it was two in four hours, thankfully I was running DD at the same time to fill in.

12. Yes, I'm in Phoenix as well and noticed the same today. Tuesdays are always hit or miss for me anyway, and I don't always work them (when I do, I only work lunch time until about 1pm as I go to my main job after that) 3 deliveries in almost 2.5 hours. Crazy! Glad I'd planned on taking time off through the end of the year, anyway. Teksaz I hope your part of town gets busier! I'm working Thurs until 3pm, all day next Monday and then NO MORE UBEREATS until 2019!!! Woohoo lol :p

Teksaz likes this.
  13. dgates01

dgates01

Same in Bakersfield. I'm in the usual hotspots during the busy hours and I'm getting nothing like I used to.

So has anyone done a comparison on what the various food delivery apps charge a person? I could then focus on the app that charges customers the least. Should be more jobs that way.

14. Yeah. This past weekend I did great. Even with no boost I was going nonstop and had some of my best nights ever. Took yesterday off. Today... absolutely dead. Two deliveries in more than 3 hours. I gave up and went and did laundry. Lol

Increased booking fees and decreased driver pay. Maybe it’s time to finally sign up for Grubhub.

15. dgates01

dgates01

I signed up for GH just after I signed up for Postmates. But I saw that they sent a debit card for payment just like PM. That discouraged me so I never did a delivery. I don't like the concept of standing in line to order, waiting, then paying. Calling a place to pre-order isn't what I should be doing either. But if UE continues to be a ghost town, I may have to get used to doing things differently.

16. I thought GrubHub didn't make you do that? That would really suck, yes. That's why I haven't considered Postmates or Doordash. The bad things I've heard about GrubHub are that they want you to sign up for shifts, and they expect you to accept almost every order that you get, both of which make me think it would be a problem. On the other hand, people apparently tip on GrubHub, so there's that.

17. dgates01

dgates01

My bad. I got DoorDash mixed up with Grubhub.

AtomicBlonde likes this.
  18. Oh, good. I’ll give Grubhub a shot then.

19. touberornottouber

touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    I think there is a lot of truth to this. The company is outright exploiting drivers now. I wouldn't be shocked to see them at some point make drivers bid on how low they will go in order to get the order. You'll probably see people bidding $0.01 gambling on getting a tip!

20. Anyone gambling on getting a tip on UberEats is ... well, no, yeah, you're probably right, they will. LOL

I see a lot of desperate minimum-guarantee pings coming up now, multiple times after I already declined them. I see a lot of orders sitting there not getting picked up when I go into restaurants. I've only been doing this two months and, I mean, when I started, none of that was happening. Now they've cut the boosts and increased the fees for the customers. What are they thinking? How many customers will stick with UberEats when the fees go up and the drivers are all newbies who don't know how to get it done?

I got a $20 tip the other night from a rich guy in a gated community with manned security. I got into the place and his house was behind a secondary gate with a gate code, to keep out the riff-raff who just live in the regular gated community. He left no instructions, but I knew to look at my visitor pass for the secondary gate code, so I didn't have to bother him. I just showed up at his door with the food. Was that why he tipped so well? Maybe, maybe not. A newbie would have panicked and bothered the customer upon seeing the security checkpoint. A newbie would have stopped and bothered the customer upon reaching the secondary gate without having a gate code. Is that the kind of service Uber wants to be providing? Inexperienced drivers hassling customers? Is that's what going to make the IPO a success?

Maybe. If I knew what made a successful IPO, I wouldn't be driving UberEats. LOL