The future of Select / What's Coming...

Yankee

Driving Select ONLY, i have averaged one ping an hour over the past 40 hours. No longer able to do this gig 1/2 time, as I was doing before, so its become a full-time hustle. Translation: becoming a "cab driver". That's where its going. So I went in to the Uber office to find out why my pings have slowed so much, and I'm told that "demand for Select is decreasing". Duh! As pax discover that there's NO difference between Select and X, because by default they make all Select drivers take X fares, pax no longer order Select. Why would anybody pay double if they knew they could get the same car for an X fare? DUH, Uber! The CSR tells me one guy drove 120 HOURS last week to make his nut! She tells me I'd do better to go back to taking X fares as well, and I did. Friday night: 11 hour shift, tons of pings, all but THREE are X fares. I nickel-and-dimed my way through the evening, $4 here, $3 there, until the 2 a.m. surge. I nabbed two surge fares out of the whole shift that grossed $200. Otherwise, it was a dismal, colossal waste of time, energy and money. The X market is a scam. No profit. X drivers are borrowing from their vehicles to pay Travis.

This morning I went back in to the Uber office to ask them to reverse my account so I no longer have to take X fares, but I couldn't get in. Guess why? The office was JAM-PACKED with HUNDREDS of new Uber recruits, all signing up for their $500. So now here we are in an already over-saturated market, and by next week there will be HUNDREDS of new Uber drivers out there to compete for a dwindling pax base. Uber's strategy is to have an Uber on every corner. NOBODY will be able to make any money. Except maybe for the fools who sleep in their cars and drive 120 hours a week.

The time to get out of this racket is NOW.

Yankee

I hate to say it but you're the fool for RUINING your nice car for nickels and dimes. The average Uber rider doesn't deserve a rusted, explosive Pinto.
Its true, Oh My. To be honest I'm doing it because I'm in transition, otherwise no way in hell would I be doing this to my beautiful car. I'm working like mad to position myself to not have to be out there letting these asses ruin my vehicle for pennies anymore.

Kalee

You must be a newer driver to have just figured this out. I'm guessing you're maybe into this gig for about 3 months?

Oh My

My 2014 non-Select vehicle (purchased in Spring 2013) is now ruined according to my standards. I'm in a transition too.

Ubers days are numbered at these rates. Seriously, if I could get a job at the grocery store in the meantime, I'd go for it but they only hire those on welfare for the tax incentives.