• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The Front Seat thing, again.

JamesBond008

It’s very distracting to have a stranger sitting that close to me. It’s not safe. They tend to point their finger across my face to show where to turn and micro manage how I drive. I don’t need to smell them either. The worst are the backback idiots that try to sit in front and scratch the crap out of my glove compartment. It’s actually good to tell people to get in the back , it shows them you don’t take any crap 💩
Um, if you can't handle someone sitting in a seat next to you and drive. Then perhaps Uber isn't for you? (Let alone a smell.)

The Gift of Fish

If AB5 passes, these companies will have no choice but to offer major concessions in order to keep driver IC status. If drivers become employees, both companies may very well go belly up.

The most important concessions should be much higher pay rates, providing drivers with the DESTINATION during ping, and a dramatically fairer "discipline" system.
It would be good if Uberlyft could change its deal with drivers to make them true ICs. I'd welcome a return to $1.50 per mile and 30 cents per minute, plus greatly reduced Uberlyft control over how I work, the ability to set my own prices etc. However one of the three tests for employee vs IC is whether the activity performed by the worker in question is inside or outside the hiring entity's line of business. Given that nobody with half a brain believes the spiel that Uberlyft is not a transportation company but a technology company ( :roflmao: ) then Uberlyft drivers can never move from the current disguised employee / fake IC status to genuine IC status if the bill is made law....

I think that this particular rule is misguided - I see no reason why drivers could not be ICs if the level of company control over drivers were reduced to IC levels.

Nats121

It would be good if Uberlyft could change its deal with drivers to make them true ICs. I'd welcome a return to $1.50 per mile and 30 cents per minute, plus greatly reduced Uberlyft control over how I work, the ability to set my own prices etc. However one of the three tests for employee vs IC is whether the activity performed by the worker in question is inside or outside the hiring entity's line of business. Given that nobody with half a brain believes the spiel that Uberlyft is not a transportation company but a technology company ( :roflmao: ) thenUberlyft drivers will never be IC if the bill is made law....

I think that this particular rule is misguided - I see no reason why drivers could not be ICs if the level of company control over drivers were reduced to IC levels.
I don't believe the rules are misguided at all, and with all of the abuse of IC status (in many occupations besides "gig" jobs) that goes on in this country, it shows the rules are necessary to set some kind of benchmark.

Having said that, given the realities of perpetually high rates of Third World immigration into this country, allowing drivers to set their own rates would be a sprint to the bottom. Clueless drivers would be offering their services for pennies per mile.

Employee status is a non-starter for me.

Therefore, the best option is to continue the faux IC status we have now but with dramatically better pay and working conditions.

The Gift of Fish

I don't believe the rules are misguided at all, and with all of the abuse of IC status (in many occupations besides "gig" jobs) that goes on in this country, it shows the rules are necessary to set some kind of benchmark.
No, I think that only the specific test that precludes workers from being ICs if they are in the same line of business as the hirer is wrong. I think that workers should be able to be ICs even if they are in the same line of business as the hirer. But clearly these gig companies have demonstrated through their behaviour that they need to be regulated.
Having said that, given the realities of perpetually high rates of Third World immigration into this country, allowing drivers to set their own rates would be a sprint to the bottom.
Not sure on that. I see plenty of driver protests that rates have been slashed too far. I see no driver protests complaining that they are being paid too much. But I guess there are probably some hobbyist drivers who would drive for zero profit, and there are also the "gas is my only expense" drivers.
Employee status is a non-starter for me.
I'm looking forward to it. In SF it's going to be $15 per hour, plus Uberlyft will have to pay compensation for mileage driven. All miles, not just pax on board.

CJfrom619

It’s very distracting to have a stranger sitting that close to me. It’s not safe. They tend to point their finger across my face to show where to turn and micro manage how I drive. I don’t need to smell them either. The worst are the backback idiots that try to sit in front and scratch the crap out of my glove compartment. It’s actually good to tell people to get in the back , it shows them you don’t take any crap 💩
You shouldn’t be driving.
Post automatically merged:

The drivers that gets upset about a rider sitting infront probably gets annoyed at alot of things.

Fozzie

If AB5 passes, these companies will have no choice but to offer major concessions in order to keep driver IC status. If drivers become employees, both companies may very well go belly up.

The most important concessions should be much higher pay rates, providing drivers with the DESTINATION during ping, and a dramatically fairer "discipline" system.
If AB5 passes, it'll be too late to negotiate.

If you REALLY want men not to sit in the front, put a box of tampons on the seat. Men will NEVER touch a box of tampons. NEVER!
You don't know how true that statement is. I once asked my husband to pick some up on his way home. Typical macho man sure as hell wasn't going to do it himself, so he sent one of his Marines to the commissary to buy them, then place them in the trunk of his car for him to bring home. SMFH

Last edited:

The Gift of Fish

You don't know how true that statement is. I once asked my husband to pick some up on his way home. Typical macho man sure as hell wasn't going to do it himself, so he sent one of his Marines to the commissary to buy them, then place them in the trunk of his car for him to bring home. SMFH
How bad would it be, though? 15 bucks per hour, plus car expenses. On the downside, there would probably be no refusing pings. But since we'll be paid for all miles, including driving to the pickup, it doesn't matter how far the ping is.

Also, there will be no surge pricing; not that there's any worthwhile surge any more anyway. No more enticing drivers with fake surges or surges that disappear as soon as you get to them. No, if Uberlyft wants to relocate drivers from less busy to more busier areas then it will pay them to do so.

And we'll still have the ability to refuse to service to the non-transportables such as the drunks and the abusive.

rkozy

Glad I'm not in California. I signed up with Uber and Lyft specifically because I could set my own hours. That all goes out the window once U/L is forced to treat their drivers as wage-earning employees.

Mikeoftulsa

Pretty cocky, aren't you, "Mr. nearly 3000 trips." It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that "Mike Of Tulsa" is a guy, or do you just assume that all women are ignorant?

Just because you don't experience the same level of bullshit that women do doesn't mean that our safety isn't a real @@@@ing issue. How many guys have reached over from the front seat and grabbed your thigh? How many guys have sat in your front seat and stared at you like a goddamn piece of meat? If your wife was driving, would you give a rats ass about the same happening to her, or are you apathetic to her safety as well?

Typical redneck @@@@@@@. Welcome to the Fozzie ignore list.
Was a joke about th assuming my gender. I wouldn't classify myself as cocky. Condfident, yes, cocky, no. My wife has to deal with similar situations all the time due to her working overnights at a hotel in downtown Tulsa. She deals with drunk men on a regular basis. I don't like that she has to deal with it, but its a part of her job unfortunately. I worry about her safety at times but I know she knows how to handle herself.

Redneck? lol. Ignore me if you want. Your loss.

Um, if you can't handle someone sitting in a seat next to you and drive. Then perhaps Uber isn't for you? (Let alone a smell.)
my thoughts as well.

Fozzie

How bad would it be, though? 15 bucks per hour, plus car expenses. On the downside, there would probably be no refusing pings. But since we'll be paid for all miles, including driving to the pickup, it doesn't matter how far the ping is.

Also, there will be no surge pricing. No more enticing drivers with fake surges or surges that disappear as soon as you get to them. No, if Uberlyft wants to relocate drivers from less busy to more busier areas then it will pay them to do so.

And we'll still have the ability to refuse to service to the non-transportables such as the drunks and the abusive.
My guess would be something more like state minimum wage + 25 cents /mile. (mileage paid based on their distance calculations, with maybe a 10% difference allowed for route variation) Anything past 25 cents the driver can try to write off as unreimbursed expenses. $15 /hr + 25 cents mile would be a HUGE cut for me, and being classified as an employee would also prevent me from working for other rideshare companies, further diminishing my profits.

I like not working nights, weekends, holidays and events. I like not having to pickup drunks and obnoxious asshats. I like schedule flexibility. Moving us to a W2 would guarantee my exit to another gig.

The Gift of Fish

My guess would be something more like state minimum wage + 25 cents /mile. (mileage paid based on their distance calculations, with maybe a 10% difference allowed for route variation) Anything past 25 cents the driver can try to write off as unreimbursed expenses. $15 /hr + 25 cents mile would be a HUGE cut for me, and being classified as an employee would also prevent me from working for other rideshare companies, further diminishing my profits.

I like not working nights, weekends, holidays and events. I like not having to pickup drunks and obnoxious asshats. I like schedule flexibility. Moving us to a W2 would guarantee my exit to another gig.
I would agree if I was still earning rates similar to Seattle's. But I'm now on 70 cents per mile and this, coupled with a big fall in demand due to Uberlyft's price hikes and over-saturation of drivers, means that being an employee would be much better than what things have become. Now there are vast swathes during shifts when it is completely dead with no work available. Once we're employees if Uberlyft doesn't want to send me work it'll be fine by me! I'll settle down to a nice movie on Netflix and get paid 15 bucks an hour to do it.

Kevin Kargel

It is actually safer to have the pax in the front. They're just as close in the back and you can't see what they are doing while you are driving.

The Gift of Fish

Employee drivers will mean that Uberlyft will have to take a much more proactive role in managing the logistics of its business in terms of having its drivers in the right places at the right times. At the moment the costs of this are borne by the drivers (no pay for driving to high demand / surge areas) but once Uberlyft has to pay for every single mile that drivers drive then they're going to be much more diligent.

Las Vegas Dude

I've had a couple uncomfortable rides with women wanting to rub my shoulders while sitting behind me or hold onto my arm when sitting next to me before she tried to kiss me when she got out of the car before proceeding to tell me how mad her husband is with her.
I’m waiting for this, hasn’t happened yet.

O-Side Uber

I'd rather have someone in the front seat that sitting behind me.
You shouldn’t be driving.

The drivers that gets upset about a rider sitting infront probably gets annoyed at alot of things.

You got annoyed at words I typed in a post , what does that say about you? 🤔

I got something for you to smell ... DEEZ NUTS 🥜

doyousensehumor

After driving about a year I, like many others, began to keep my front passenger seat all the way forward.
Only to be adjusted for a 4th pax.
Now, 98% of pax get this, usually a quick glance thru the window is enough of a clue for them that there is a large bag on the seat and they're not welcome there.

Then there's the guy I had yesterday!
3 people, 2 women and this Bozo.
It's relevant to mention that they were going to a hotel TWO minutes away.
He opened the door, looked at the bag, as I was saying, "There's room in the back."
And he grabbed my tote bag. Grabbed it like he had some plan for what to do with it.
I said much more firmly, "There's room in the back."

He got it that time and moved back with the ladies.

Guessing he was thinking, "We men sit up front."

No, you don't. Mister 1 star.
Do what I did last time pax wanted front seat:

Keep front door locked.
If pax gives you shit for it, cancel.
When they gripe to you that you cxled,
*whiney voice* "But you said you wanted to sit up front! Obviously you are already upset with me. There are plenty of other drivers out there!"

This is "Customer service" these days. If the first few seconds of meeting a pax, there's a problem, just cxl, or kick them out. Dumping the pax with some other driver who will stoop down for them, "ensures the best customer service possible"

Last edited:

BBslider001

I was gonna say, but.....and oh yeah....my @@@@ing car, my @@@@ing call. People that don't get it will never get it. No need trying to explain. All I will say is...Golden Retriever vs. A Lion.

Maybe you guys have worst pax than here in Tulsa but I seldom have any issues with pax invading my personal space.
Personality differences bro....if you don't get it, you never will. Have all your pax sit in the front seat, who cares? But for those that don't like it or want it, let it go.

Jeezus H....here we go. "You shouldn't be driving" "this isn't for you" "what's the big deal".....live and let live. EVERYONE of us is different and is comfortable with or prefers different things. If you don't get that or understand it, maybe YOU'RE the pansy. Get over the differences already. And another thing, NONE of you can sit in my front seat. Suck it. Happy motoring!

Last edited: