• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The first death resulting from a crash involving a self-driving car!!

painfreepc

For those of you that don't bother to even read what the features of this car is, the current autopilot and can't stop at stop signs or red light, it needs a car in front of it to do that that's why most people only use it on the freeway, the new autopilot version will have two cameras and it will recognize stop signs and red lights so there will be more and more using this on the Main Street God help all of us have a good day.

I went hands-free in Tesla's Model S on Autopilot, even though I wasn't supposed to

http://mashable.com/2015/10/14/tesla-auotpilot-hands-on/#u6PbBEeM_aqh

Please point out to me where on this video is its driver being forced to keep his hands on the steering wheel

Got to love the web browser right there in the center console makes it very easy to check your stocks, facebook and watch Harry Potter.

He talks about the steering wheel check later on in the video but it doesn't happen. I watched a different video where it asked him to place his hands on the wheel and if you don't do it in the allotted time the car allegedly slows, then stops and turns on flashers. I'm not exactly sure what the trigger is but this post said curves can cause it: http://www.teslarati.com/what-happens-ignore-tesla-autopilot-warnings/

Also, as of the last info I read, the car did not yet have a seat sensor to prevent someone from leaving the seat with the autopilot engaged. That seams VERY dumb not to have implemented already.

RamzFanz

Self-driving car technology is not about saving lives if you believe that you really are kidding yourself you live in a pipe dream
This technology is being accelerated to make rich people richer and to make poor people poorer,

Do you even realize the way you dream about this technology if this actually becomes a reality how many people won't have a job,

Who needs a UPS driver when a Droid UPS truck can just pull up to your door and have a little robot UPS man can bring your package to your door,

Hell you won't even need the ice cream man driving through your neighborhood anymore who needs that when droid ice cream truck will do, more money for the person who manufactured ice cream,

So you won't even need hot dog vendors anymore, who needs the actual person selling you a hot dog, hot dog vending machines can even drive down the street to go too many locations on there own,

And please explain how you think this dream of yours is going to happen in a few years, do you think every transportation service in the world is just going to throw out there cars and buy robot operated cars, who's going to finance this,

Those things you quoted earlier about how technology has changed over the years and have made things better, hey I agree, but this is first time a technology has come along that's going to put mass people out of work, do you actually think people who drive for a living and people who guess enjoy driving or just going to turn in keys without a fight..
The full transition to no human driving allowed will probably take decades. UPS isn't going to robots anytime soon or ice cream truck drivers or hot dog vendors. Here's the thing about jobs like those, just because you have a human on board doesn't mean they need to drive so the attendant will make less because they don't need a license or commercial license, but that's OK, as I will explain later in this post. But many vehicles will still need people on board for a long time to come to deliver the package the last few feet or up the stairs or elevator, make the hotdog, hand out the icecream, and help the elderly etc.

For taxis and Uber drivers though, our time is probably much much shorter, IMO. Why? Because SDC TNC is the low hanging fruit. Cheap to roll out and very profitable. An untapped multi-trillion dollar market.

GM bought part of Lyft and dropped a billion dollars on SDC research. They expect to live test next year with actual passengers. That's next year. GM can crank out the cars and put them out as lyft vehicles at actual cost, with no profit or dealership costs and with no cost to Lyft. Lyft is likely to get a fleet of free SDCs and GM gets to waltz into the TNC business. GM has changed their very business model to eventually become primarily a SDC TNC company rather than primarily a car manufacturer for public consumption.

Uber has partnered with Toyota to develop the cars, not sure if they will do what GM and Lyft are, but it makes too much sense for them not to.

Truck drivers are also on a short timeline. Trucks are already being tested on the interstate.

So, yes, millions of jobs will be lost and yes, many will be protesting and fighting the change but, in the end, the jobs will be gone. Some customers will insist on human drivers. My Father in Law refused to use self checkout even for a single item. He'd stand in line to help keep people employed.

But, as people see how much safer they are in SDCs, and how much cheaper it is, they will eventually switch for the most part.

This is a disaster, right? Probably in the short term if we don't prepare for it, on par with the jobs lost in the year after 9/11 or the housing crash, but not in the long term. Despite dire predictions after every technology change or industry collapse, we always create new jobs. There are almost no telephone operators anymore, but there are cell phone tower technicians, salespeople, and repair technicians. America always finds a way through entrepreneurship and free(ish) markets.

BUT, that's not the good part. The good part is the cost of living is about to plummet. In 10 years you will probably pay so much less for everything, you simply won't need to earn as much money. This is one huge step to becoming a race that needs to work very little where we can do the things we want to more than need to. Wouldn't you rather work 10-15 hours a week and have the same standard of living as working full time OR double or triple your buying power from the same income level?

By the way, save every dollar you can now and grow it if possible because it's going to buy a heck of a lot more down the road.

No truck drivers to pay, which is HUGE because raw materials are shipped to parts manufacturers, parts are shipped to manufacturers, assembled products are shipped to wholesale distributors, then shipped to retail distribution warehouses, then shipped to stores. UPS drivers will eventually be replaced by single package delivery self driving vehicles but that will cost them a fortune, unless they partner with a manufacturer like Lyft did. Or perhaps Ubers and Lyfts will be so cheap, they will just use them while they transition to their own fleet.

You're right about the profit being the motivation. Regardless, it's the safety and the massive cost savings that will convince the people and governments to get on board. Who's going to want to put their child on a human driven school bus when a self driving one is thousands of times safer? Not me. Who's going to pay $10 for a $2 ride? Very few people. Who is going to want to commute when they could work or play and be driven door to door? I don't.

So that's all I'm saying. People who ignore this and don't train and transition out of the fields of TNC, taxi driving, trucking, bus driving, etc, are headed for a huge disappointment in the next 5+ years. Maybe 7 years if SDCs run into stiff government issues which I could see in the more liberal cities who eagerly take away free market rights, but not because the technology won't be ready. So we all have plenty of time to prepare if we don't buy into the crazy talk about 30-40 years. I could easily see a close to 100% transition for transportation services in 10ish years.

Nobody's going to stop it, if anything, it's accelerating. These are the most powerful companies in the world and it's a race to the finish. The benefits will be massive and undeniable.

By the way, fleets of existing trucks and cars can be made self driving, probably for $5,000 - $10,000 each, so that will probably be what they do early on while we transition away from gas and deisel. It will mean financing or making payments to the manufacturer, but that's money they are paying out to the driver already, not a burden on their profit.

Last edited:

Just one more trip

Yes, this BS technology that has resulted in 1 (ONE) fatality thus far vs how many with human drivers on a DAILY basis? On my way home from work today 3 different people almost changed lanes into me. It is a known fact that these systems aren't sophisticated enough yet to handle all situations. The article I posted explains more about some of the issues. The technology is still very young. So I guess according to you anything that takes time and money to perfect is just a waste and we shouldn't bother right? Look how far the technology has come in such a short period of time.

BUT, that's not the good part. The good part is the cost of living is about to plummet. In 10 years you will probably pay so much less for everything, you simply won't need to earn as much money. This is one huge step to becoming a race that needs to work very little where we can do the things we want to more than need to. Wouldn't you rather work 10-15 hours a week and have the same standard of living as working full time OR double or triple your buying power from the same income level?

By the way, save every dollar you can now and grow it if possible because it's going to buy a heck of a lot more down the road.
Many of the world's leading economists have serious been discussing Universal Basic Income recently with the advancements being made in robotics and eventually AI.

RamzFanz

Many of the world's leading economists have serious been discussing Universal Basic Income recently with the advancements being made in robotics and eventually AI.
UBI is inevitable at some point. Somewhere down the road, humans will, for the most part, not have jobs. We will mostly do creative things instead of labor.

painfreepc

UBI is inevitable at some point. Somewhere down the road, humans will, for the most part, not have jobs. We will mostly do creative things instead of labor.
No in reality many people will just be sitting on their ass getting stoned on drugs and others will be running violent gangs just for the fun of it, like in the movie Judge Dredd,

Even with money out of the equation it will still be things of value to trade human flesh being the most obvious second obvious being illegal drugs,

But you go ahead and Dream On Dream On Dream On Dream until your dream comes true..

This technology will be used to make rich people richer and poor people poorer and to keep the masses in line, you will not be able to go anywhere without there being a record of it, like the tesla car, remember it's Tethered to the Mothership..

Last edited:

RamzFanz

No in reality many people will just be sitting on their ass getting stoned on drugs and others will be running violent gangs just for the fun of it, like in the movie Judge Dredd,

Even with money out of the equation it will still be things of value to trade human flesh being the most obvious second obvious being illegal drugs,

But you go ahead and Dream On Dream On Dream On Dream until your dream comes true..

This technology will be used to make rich people richer and poor people poorer and to keep the masses in line, you will not be able to go anywhere without there being a record of it, like the tesla car, remember it's Tethered to the Mothership..
Nope. Poor people are about to become better off because the cost of living is going to go down dramatically and they will have access to products and services they can't right now. Food, clothing, transportation, just about everything is going to be cheaper.

Ca$h4

This is what Autopilot looks like. Tesla didn't disclose accident because is was issuing $2 billion of stock.

Legal Trouble Accelerating for Tesla Motors

http://www.law.com/sites/almstaff/2016/07/12/family-of-tesla-autopilot-crash-victim-taps-cleveland-lawyer/?kw=Legal Trouble Accelerating for Tesla Motors&cn=20160713&pt=News Alert&src=EMC-Email&et=editorial&bu=The Recorder

Tesla told regulators about Autopilot crash nine days after accident

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-autopilot-disclosure-idUSKCN0ZL2UC

painfreepc

I would like to know about the model S with autopilot,

What is this total number of accidents is it more, same or less than another car of its class.

WeirdBob

Or sit around getting stoned and drunk and play video games. Some of column A, a LOT of column B