• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The first death resulting from a crash involving a self-driving car!!

DriverX

And so it begins.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/30/12072408/tesla-autopilot-car-crash-death-autonomous-model-s

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tragic-loss

Clearly Tesla's QA dept. isn't up to the challenge of insuring the safety of driverless vehicles. Why would it not occur to someone at Tesla that scanning the roadway over 3 feet off the ground would be a vital safety requirement?

THe first death in a series to come. I'd expect a recall soon. and I'm sticking to my guns on the advent of truly autonomous vehicles being about 40 years out.

Fear not drivers they will need us for quite sometime to come.

This article provides a little more info: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tesla-crash-20160630-snap-story.html

Yes, this BS technology that has resulted in 1 (ONE) fatality thus far vs how many with human drivers on a DAILY basis? On my way home from work today 3 different people almost changed lanes into me. It is a known fact that these systems aren't sophisticated enough yet to handle all situations. The article I posted explains more about some of the issues. The technology is still very young. So I guess according to you anything that takes time and money to perfect is just a waste and we shouldn't bother right? Look how far the technology has come in such a short period of time.

painfreepc

Self-driving cars are not ready, they are nowhere near ready and I've said this in several trends, all you guys who think this is going to happen in a few years you're crazy keep dreaming..

Some of you guys may think I'm nuts or something, but this is why I like the movie Oblivion with Tom Cruise, because even the advanced AI in that movie knew that a human being would be more resourceful than an AI Drone..

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/30/tesla-autopilot-death-self-driving-car-elon-musk

Bart McCoy

Not surprised. I still refuse to believe yo can program a computer to account for any infinite driving scenario. If they ccan't account for making sure the roadway is clear more than 3 feet off the ground, then we are still a decade away from those auto cards being used for livery

Last edited:

DriverX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This article provides a little more info: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tesla-crash-20160630-snap-story.html

Yes, this BS technology that has resulted in 1 (ONE) fatality thus far vs how many with human drivers on a DAILY basis? On my way home from work today 3 different people almost changed lanes into me. It is a known fact that these systems aren't sophisticated enough yet to handle all situations. The article I posted explains more about some of the issues. The technology is still very young. So I guess according to you anything that takes time and money to perfect is just a waste and we shouldn't bother right? Look how far the technology has come in such a short period of time.
Hyperbolic defenses of tech like this always come from the Lemmings. Look I'm no Luddite, I've had tech careers for over a decade, but I'm also very aware of the hype that the marketing departments of these tech companies drum up to convince people how awesome and advanced they are.

If you've ever worked in software development you see how buggy software really is and how unreliable and based on a lot of guess work it can be. Cases in point: the fitbit is complete crap for getting any reliable data and it burns your wrist OR windows installed an update this morning despite me having it set to NOT auto update and now my machine has crashed 3 times. Fortunately most people don't use software for things that can risk their lives until now. Go ahead though you be the guinea pig while your corporate overlords use you as a pawn in a beta test.

painfreepc

I would not attribute this to the car but to driver error.

Driver should have been paying attention.
Why would you put on autopilot into a car then think the customer is going to pay 100% attention to the road,
there are drivers out here now driving normal cars than don't pay 100% attention to the road..

Isn't the point of having autopilot so you don't have to pay 100% attention to the controls,

this technology is stupid, it's illogical and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever..

I first saw this car autopilot in one of the Arnold Schwarzenegger movies,
no I'm not talking about Johnny cab, it was that movie where he was cloned, him and his friend was sitting in the truck they were both facing each other,
I was watching the movie saying to myself there's no way in hell that's going to happen for real no one's watching the road and here we are in 2016 and it's happened for real - how ironic

Last edited:

DriverX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm pretty sure if he was actually looking out the windshield he would have seen the tractor trailer in front of him.

the autopilot in high end cars is amazing... but you can't fall asleep or have your head down in your phone!
they call it AUTOPILOT when clearly it isn't.

This will be a HUGE lawsuit that Tesla settles fast.

edit
Mr. Brown apparently posted videos of himself riding in autopilot mode. “The car’s doing it all itself,’’ he said in one, smiling as he took his hands from the steering wheel.

DOH famous last youtubes