"The driver friendly platform"

K-pax

I suppose this is just a rant, but it's good to rant sometimes. I used to heavily favor Lyft over Uber, and used to make most of my money on Lyft. I am a 5.0 driver with about 6,000 rides on the platform. Well regarded by customers, tipped generously, and all around the type of driver that makes Lyft look really good in relation to passenger experience (I work hard to be the best I can be). Quite frankly, it's drivers like myself that will be using Lyft less and less in favor of Uber, creating a much better experience for Uber customers (I give the same quality service, no matter which platform a passenger is using).

In the past year, I have watch Lyft's driver experience plummet to depths that Uber can't even dream of. The fact that Lyft at one point tried to market itself as a driver-friendly alternative to Uber is quite frankly laughable. Here is the Lyft screw job, as I've experienced it, over the past little while. I am in the Seattle market, so some of this may be market specific. Feel free to add your own experiences of Lyft screwing you over much worse than Uber if there's anything that differs in your market.

1. PPZs. In contrast to Uber's new flat surge, Lyft's PPZs are highly unfair and completely non-transparent. While, the Uber flat surge operates (sort of) similar to the old surge . . . everyone sees the same thing, and it responds (sort of) to demand, Lyft's PPZs are individualized and completely removed from any sort of logic or market demand. The amount that Lyft offers you for a PPZ is not the same amount they offer other drivers, or even if they offer a driver anything is also different depending on the driver. There is no way to know what/where/how much they are offering other drivers unless you happen to ask them (I suggest you do). In my case, Lyft has decided that I am (for some reason) a sucker who is perfectly okay with low amounts, very rarely, and in areas that are not likely to result in a ride (Strange, because under the old system, I was a major PT hunter). On the regular, I compare notes with other similar drivers about PPZ offerings. On the same day, other drivers are offered figures like $8-$15 (with a few exceptions), and offered several in a single day. On the other hand, what Lyft offers me are usually amounts for less than $3, and they are offered extremely sparsely. There is no rhyme or reason why Lyft is favoring another driver over me in regards to PPZs and no way to find out. The PPZ system is downright unfair, and discriminates against some drivers while favoring others, all with perfect secrecy and no accountability. At least Uber offers all drivers the same flat surge, so it's a level playing field.

2. No more phone support, much less effective email/txt support. I remember when Lyft rolled out their phone support as something that held them at a higher standard, as a driver friendly platform. Especially for drivers like me, who live an hour away from the nearest hub location, phone support has been a crucial part of the driver experience for those many issues that can come up. A very quick call to support, and my problem would be addressed and/or even fixed within a remarkably small amount of time. With the loss of phone support, I am left with a very rigidly structured list of 'issues' that I'm allowed to write support with, all of which have to be attached to an individual trip. Many areas where I may have a question that isn't address just lazily sends me to a pre-written 'how-to' clearly written for brand new drivers who have only the most basic questions. Attempting to email support about issues.... any issues, really... has given me a 0% success rate. I am not sure that there is someone actually even copy/pasting these pre-written responses (at the very least not really even reading what I asked), because much of the time the response has little or nothing to do with the question asked. I often spend a ridiculous amount of time sifting through the various options they give me to file a support request, trying to find what even vaguely fits the issue I have a concern about. Contrast that with the Uber phone support that still exists... I can still call up Uber support 24/7, and my issue is typically resolved. The only way to get ahold of someone at Lyft who will even listen to what I'm asking is to go into the Hub... but, it appears that Lyft corporate is starting to tie the hands of the people at the Lyft hubs as well (I will be getting to that in the next issue).

3.a. Green Mode: Lazy programming, more lack of support, and further folly of the PPZ swindle. Under the Lyft platform, I am driving a hybrid vehicle that is eligible for Lux as well as Lux Black. For those who do not have access to multiple tiers, when you are someone who is, both platforms (Uber and Lyft) have toggle switches in their apps, so that you can decide how you want to work. You can be open to any and all rides, but you can also filter out certain types of rides. There are scenarios where you would specifically want to set your settings in different ways (for example, if you are after only Lux Black business for a specific reason, or if you are accepting all rides that come your way for a specific reason). In the Seattle market, Lyft has introduced a new product which they call Green Mode. This product charges the passenger more for the satisfaction that they will only be matched with a hybrid or electric vehicle. Lyft does not pay the driver one cent above the normal base rate for these. A shady deal, but a ride it a ride... right? Well, not in the case of hybrid drivers who have access to upper tiers. Lyft has been running a 'promo' for Green Mode for the last couple of months. This promo has been applied to the driver account, rather than the tier in the laziest of ways, so that no matter how you filter your expected rides, you WILL receive Green Mode requests. Of course, when I am filtered to only receive upper tier rides, I actively reject every Green Mode request, but it still wreaks havoc with my ability to work in the following ways. When I am filtered to premium, and the odd chance that I am send a PPZ, I will have to accept the next request or lose the PPZ. Under normal circumstances, it's not so much of a problem, as I will be sent the ride types that I set in the app. Now, I could be expecting a Lux Black request (which you have to wait quite a while unpaid to get sometimes) with a bonus attached, but it will still send me any old Green Mode that comes along, forcing me to either accept a non-premium ride, or lose my bonus. Given that Uber is always surging at the times where this is most crucial, this leads me to decline the Green Mode, lose the bonus, and take a surged ride on Uber. This also makes working events on upper tiers almost impossible on Lyft. For example, I recently attempted to work the MLS Championship game in Seattle, which was a sold out, record breaking crowd size of nearly 70,000 people. Certain that some upper tier business could be had at such an event, I was filtered accordingly. All Lyft sent me were Green Mode requests (nearly a dozen), which all were turned down until Lyft timed me out for rejecting too many rides in a row. Again, I had to rely on ole faithful Uber to get my post-game Upper Tier rides, because if I filter to Select only on Uber, it actually sends me Select only.

3.b. Green Mode, Tying the hands of the Hub staff, more lazy programming forcing me back into the promo. Given that the only option available for such an issue currently is now to go into the hub, that is exactly what I did. The hub itself was clean, had ample parking, the people working there were all friendly and doing their best to honestly help people with their issues (My issue is NOT with the people who work at the hub, or the hub itself). I brought up this issue, and the nice lady at the hub told me this was no problem... that I could opt-out of the promotion. She opted me out of the promotion on the spot, which was reflected in the app before I even left. Thank you nice lady! I enjoyed a few working days where filtering to premium only actually sent me premium-only, like it does with all of the non-hybrid/EV upper tier drivers. Upon working the next Tuesday morning, I was filtered to Lux/Lux Black mode while trying to get some specific business that I was looking for and I got excited to hear the familiar sound of a request. Sweet! I thought to myself, until I switched over to the Lyft app and saw Green Mode glaring back at me. WHAT?! I went to the hub a second time about the issue. A different very nice lady said she could certainly help me out with this. I explained that I was re-added after opting out, and she said that there must have been a glitch in the system, because as they were told, there is a program that automatically adds eligible drivers once a week, but that if a driver wanted to opt-out, this program would ignore them during the process. She opted me out again and said she would leave a note in my account about it, and it reflected as such in the app again. I thanked the nice lady at the hub and walked to the exit, seeing a man in nice clothing asking a different nice hub worker about Green Mode in the same fashion as myself (as I got into the parking lot, I saw a Lux Black XL eligable vehicle with trade dress on parked next to me. I happened to notice it said the word hybrid on the back). I enjoyed working the next few days, being able to filter to the type of rides I want to get, again, like the non-hybrid/ev upper tier drivers get to do... but then, right on schedule, Tuesday morning, I am re-added... again.

4. Two destination filters. I know, Uber only has two destination filters as well... but Uber's work differently than Lyft filters. The Uber filters only apply it as a use if you start a trip on the filter, and it will stay active long enough that you could, in the case of us drivers who don't live close to the markets in which we work, make it most of the way or even all the way home on a single filter. So, on Uber, that gives me one filter to get to where I want to work, and one filter to get me home from where I want to work. I'm fine with that. Now, Lyft's filters count every time you set the filter, including if you change the address as a use, regardless of if you cancel it, or if you receive any requests. Further, it gives you a window of about 20 minutes to get a request before it times you out and uses up your filter. When we had 6 filters, I rarely was able to use them for anything other than to or from the market that I wish to work because of this. I could easily burn through most or all of the 6 filters on a single commute home. Now that the filters are only two, it basically shuts me out of being able to use the destination filter on Lyft except in the rare circumstances where I get a very quick match or I don't get anything on Uber's filter. Often, my two Lyft filters are used up before I even leave Seattle, and then I am left with no other choice (I have to be home at a certain time) than to go Uber only. Further, Lyft took away the 'arrive by' feature that Uber still has.

I really could go on even-longer than I did about the ways that Lyft has begun to be the platform that screws drivers the most, but I'll spare you. I would love other people to chime in on the ways Lyft has become much worse than Uber for them as well.

Last edited:

KMartPants

The no dark mode thing is an example of a very. simple. thing. Lyft could do to at least make it easier on drivers. Hell the latest iOS even natively supports this, all Lyft has to do is literally press a button on their app development screen to support it. But, no...

Tech support is also useless of course and they don't even know what dark mode is. :i'm mad:

K-pax

The no dark mode thing is an example of a very. simple. thing. Lyft could do to at least make it easier on drivers. Hell the latest iOS even natively supports this, all Lyft has to do is literally press a button on their app development screen to support it. But, no...

Tech support is also useless of course and they don't even know what dark mode is. :i'm mad:
I’m surprised Lyft engineers know what a phone is.

BeansnRice

If it’s to help you, the driver, forget it.

doyousensehumor

TL;DR

In the last 12 months, Lyft made a list of the few advatages for the drivers they had over Uber and flipped it around 180.

Their new rate structure, by the way, rewards inefficiency. To my surprise, I have found a way that lyft can be made to work when you're in a bad area for Uber...

Dekero

Might I suggest you try my method going forward... If you need tech support call the harassment line(they answer post haste) and then tell them you have a different issue that you can't get resolved otherwise and want help now.... It's gotten me transferred to a human on about 5 occasions and while I only got what I wanted twice... At least I got some resolution.

Or should I say they call back post haste....