The Drive-Thru Issue (Recording attached)

Bruce55

Here is what I do whenever someone asks me to go to a drive thru. I've mentioned this before but I wanted to attach proof this time so you can hear what I mean.

I've slowed the speed down of the attached recording and edited whenever I would say the pax's name for privacy reasons. It was recorded on Friday.

It's not unreasonable to ask someone to compensate you when you are going above and beyond your duties. Just be professional about it. As some of you know, I was paid $20 to drive back to Markham to return a cell phone because I asked and he was happy to do it. Time is money and people understand this but if you don't ask, you don't get.

For the record, whenever someone has asked me to go to a drive thru, NO ONE HAS EVER said NO they will not tip me or buy me food or a drink. It's never been an issue for me and it won't be for you. Hope this helps.

djino

I think the fact is that most PAX don't tip at all, regardless if you go above and beyond in providing the highest customer service experience. PAX choose Uber for the cashless experience, and since Uber doesn't allow the ability to tip in the app (and has advertised that there is no need to tip), promotes a non-tipping Uber culture.

As a result, it doesn't make sense for a driver to waste his/her time in a drive thru collecting pennies on the dollar while at the sametime, promoting the expectation that its ok to eat in your car.

After all is said and done, tips are rare, and they are not as frequent or expected as a Taxi cab fare. So it is reasonable to assume, you won't be tipped for providing this extra service by driving through a drive-thru. It is simply best to drop that pax off then and there (assuming its a non-surge fare) and get back online to grab the next ping that will likely be much more profitable with your time and asset.

djino
"Unless most of you drivers are driving for fun and games!"

Bruce55

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been tipped plus food or had wraps bought for me, tea, coffee and it was all delicious heheh but that's cool, each to his own.

Uberchampion

I think the fact is that most PAX don't tip at all, regardless if you go above and beyond in providing the highest customer service experience. PAX choose Uber for the cashless experience, and since Uber doesn't allow the ability to tip in the app (and has advertised that there is no need to tip), promotes a non-tipping Uber culture.

As a result, it doesn't make sense for a driver to waste his/her time in a drive thru collecting pennies on the dollar while at the sametime, promoting the expectation that its ok to eat in your car.

After all is said and done, tips are rare, and they are not as frequent or expected as a Taxi cab fare. So it is reasonable to assume, you won't be tipped for providing this extra service by driving through a drive-thru. It is simply best to drop that pax off then and there (assuming its a non-surge fare) and get back online to grab the next ping that will likely be much more profitable with your time and asset.

djino
I think attitude is 90% of why some people get tipped more than others. Obviously Bruce55 has a pretty decent attitude.

Like I said earlier. Nice pax get much better service than not nice pax.

Price isn't the only reason people rejected the cab industry. Converts almost always tell me that they prefer Uber because the drivers used to be much nicer. I don't hear that quite as much in the past few months but I think it's been a big reason Uber grew so fast.

Taking people through a drive through is ultimately the drivers prerogative. I've said no many more times than I've said yes.

Homer J

When I drove X and someone asked me to stop at Tim Hortons I always said sure and then I said I never knew about this location. Almost 100% of the time they would say how long it has been there and then offered to buy me something. I didn't directly ask for something but was offered something. Saved me lots of cash for coffee and donuts plus saved me time from making a separate stop for myself.

Harry70

Attitude makes lot of difference; asking for a stop or drive through should not be highly offensive; eating or drinking in the car is your provagative on.the contarary asking for a stop; go drive thru mAke driver do gtfo is highly objectionable; it's just minute or two minute most of the time; u can get free coffee and donut if u play the situation well; u know u r in the situation try to get out as a winner rather than losing your rating

James Han

Here is what I do whenever someone asks me to go to a drive thru. I've mentioned this before but I wanted to attach proof this time so you can hear what I mean.

I've slowed the speed down of the attached recording and edited whenever I would say the pax's name for privacy reasons. It was recorded on Friday.

It's not unreasonable to ask someone to compensate you when you are going above and beyond your duties. Just be professional about it. As some of you know, I was paid $20 to drive back to Markham to return a cell phone because I asked and he was happy to do it. Time is money and people understand this but if you don't ask, you don't get.

For the record, whenever someone has asked me to go to a drive thru, NO ONE HAS EVER said NO they will not tip me or buy me food or a drink. It's never been an issue for me and it won't be for you. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your story, Bruce55. You are a real professional driver for the customer service, I think.

elelegido

"Sorry, I do not allow food or drink in the vehicle, but I would be happy to drop you off at the restaurant so that you can enjoy your meal inside."

I operate a gýpsy cab, not a dining room.

Myxx

I always get offered food etc, when I go thru a drive thru. I recall once picking up a call girl at the GRAND who wanted to go to Timmy's ( no drive- thru) on Parliament and asked me to go inside with her as she was carrying "a lot of Money". She insisted that I order some food too!

Uberchampion

I always get offered food etc, when I go thru a drive thru. I recall once picking up a call girl at the GRAND who wanted to go to Timmy's ( no drive- thru) on Parliament and asked me to go inside with her as she was carrying "a lot of Money". She insisted that I order some food too!
I've picked her up too. She lives off the danforth right? $10 tip and apologised profusely for having to take a call while I was driving her home. If it's the same girl, she's one of my favorites.

djino
If the pax doesn't want to tip you then you can end the ride and tell them to request another Uber once they get their food. You can drive around to the other side of the building and wait for them in the parking lot, and sure enough about 10 minutes later you will get the ping and drive them home on another full fare. Use the break to go in and use the bathroom, stretch or check your email :-)

Santa

If the pax doesn't want to tip you then you can end the ride and tell them to request another Uber once they get their food. You can drive around to the other side of the building and wait for them in the parking lot, and sure enough about 10 minutes later you will get the ping and drive them home on another full fare. Use the break to go in and use the bathroom, stretch or check your email :smiles:
Never ever ever ever take the ping from the rider that you cancelled upon.

djino

If the pax doesn't want to tip you then you can end the ride and tell them to request another Uber once they get their food.
That makes zero sense. Its usually customary for people to tip after the service has been completed. So you won't know if the pax will or will not tip prior to the ride ending unless you are discussing it. And if you are discussing it, likely means you (the driver) initiated it, and will likely end up with zero tip plus a bad rating.

So yeah, its all nice to assume you will get tipped by going above and beyond by wasting your time in a drive-thru, but there are no guarantees that you will be compensated for the time wasted at the end, with a tip (even if you discuss it).

djino

Never ever ever ever take the ping from the rider that you cancelled upon.
Agreed -- but that is a different situation than what I am describing. In my scenario, I don't cancel on a passenger. I end the trip, they go get their food, then they request a new trip and I'm the closest driver. Are you saying that this is a version of canceling?

tohunt4me

I always bring them to drive through when they ask.

They tell me taxis won't do it.
Tourists,poor drunks,hate to see anyone hungry.

I have been offered food and drink every single time. Sometimes the accept.sometimes ,I eat it when I get home.

Often get cash tip on top of food.
I never ask for anything.

tohunt4me

Had one couple I picked up at a pizza place.the man had 2 pizza boxes.Got a 5 mile detour on the trip to deliver a pizza to his father.
A good son.