The Author says Uber suffers from " Technovision"
And Ignores the Human Factor.
As a Driver
I Agree !

Uber DOES NOT DABBLE IN REALITY ! View attachment 507827
Post automatically merged:

FANTASY IS CORRECT.

" TECHNOVISION FANTASY "!
This is what I've said before. Even a remote possibility of a glitch or hack with SDC's would be unacceptable. The safety measures of their network would have to be on the level of the airline travel industry and resilience to errors or hacks on bank grade encryption. Just imagine if a hacker got into the system and commanded every car on that network to suddenly turn 90 degrees. The freeway would be bathed in blood.

How it is that Uber and Tesla thought there would be level 5 autonomous vehicles in the near future is beyond me. The matter of the car driving itself is already a giant hurdle but only a small piece of the puzzle, even when they can get it perfected which in and of itself is going to be quite a while. Legalities, network security, insurance issues and the infrastructure likely needed to allow the car to operate in adverse conditions are huge issues they'll also need to address.

Tampa Bay Hauler

Uh, a raincoat can be easily washed, and it isn't "hard". And there is such a thing as a jet of hot dry air that could make it dry. :rolleyes:
Sure,keep adding all of this expensive new tech. That's what this thread is about. Drivers doing this free and on their own time. No Robocars are going to be out anytime soon. Today's drivers are not going to lose their jobs over your raincoats.

Cereal Killer

Uh, a raincoat can be easily washed, and it isn't "hard". And there is such a thing as a jet of hot dry air that could make it dry. :rolleyes:
I'm inventing a fully autonomous female. You can program her to wake you up with a BJ. She'll be able to clean you up, shower you and dress you for work. I'm thinking of a warehouse where she'd go clean herself up every week and come back with brand new lingerie.

REX HAVOC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm inventing a fully autonomous female. You can program her to wake you up with a BJ. She'll be able to clean you up, shower you and dress you for work. I'm thinking of a warehouse where she'd go clean herself up every week and come back with brand new lingerie.
Watch the Netflix show "Human." They have robot hookers.
The idea of autonomous cars for Uber has never made any financial sense to me until one very simple question can be answered.

Currently
Theoretically 1 million drivers worldwide doing uber. 1 million cars utilized at $0 to Uber's fixed cost asset.

Autonomous Vehicle
1 million cars at $85,000 each (my guess could be higher). = $85 Billion

Just in California alone the investment would be $25.5 Billion not even counting operational costs. I would love to see the ROI and breakeven analysis on that! :roflmao:

I would love to see the look on the face of big banks as the Uber team (who has never been profitable) pitches borrowing $85 Billion to replace the $0 cars in "their" fleet. Never mind the operational costs. The cost of this investment is higher than the entire market capitalization of Uber.

Autonomous cars is a pipe dream by Engineers who are dreamers and innovators by design. The finances of it all bring it to a screeching halt.

I am specifically talking about Uber. The business case for Tesla would look different but problematic never the less.
I think they could make it work by partnering with automakers. The automakers, lets say Ford and GM agreed to supply a set number of cars per year with self-driving technology at a negotiated cost. Uber would then pay for the car in monthly installments like a car loan or lease and the automakers would service the vehicle up to say 100K miles. Once the car reached the mileage cap it would be sold or scraped for parts. Uber would have to pay for basic maintenance and anything major would be covered under the lease agreement. This would keep the automakers profitable and Uber would get their cars at a pay as you go arrangement. I think it would work fine and much less then paying for a driver who want min wage and health benefits. They just need the self-driving technology to be more advanced to make it work. They wouldn't replace all of the drivers at once. They'd replace say 10 percent a year until they got to 100% autonomous.