• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The Dead Fish pick up

I pull into a medical building and begin to cruise through the parking lot to find my pickup. I see a Hasidic man on his phone, he's looking at me but does not gesture or in any way acknowledge me.

I see a black woman talking on her phone also looking at me but she not gesture or in any way acknowledge me.

Then I see two elderly feeble looking women standing in the parking lot. They're both looking at me as I approach and slowly drive past. They do not gesture or in any way acknowledge me. I thought it might be them but then again they did not lift a finger or nod or anything to indicate that they were my riders.

I continued around the building and my phone rings. It's the Uber system. I answer the phone and say "hi this is your Uber driver" .

A female voice on the other end says "hi, I think you just drove past us".

I say "you need to waive or do something to let me know you're my rider. It doesn't show me what you look like".

She says "I was looking right at you".

I say "a lot of people were looking at me, you need to waive or hold up your phone to let me know you are my rider".

I come around the building again and there they are. Still no wave but I'm pretty sure they are my ride so I pull up and they get in. We had a good ride.

I really don't understand how these people think that we're supposed to discern them out of the crowd when they don't give us any indication that they are our rider.

Does Uber not give these people any guidance that they should wave or hold up their phone or do something to let us know they are our rider?

I get annoyed because these riders get angry because we don't have super powers and can read their mind.

My other peeve is the riders who see you approaching and step out into the road and expect you to stop in the middle of the road blocking traffic risking a ticket because they can't wait for you to pull up to them.

I long ago decided that I'm going to pull to the curb or some other safe location even if it means driving past them a little bit. I've seen them make disapproving gestures and facial expressions but I really don't care. I'm not getting a ticket because they were a jerk and they really need to learn the proper way to get into a rideshare. I figure that by not catering to their impatience maybe they'll learn.

Comments

goneubering

I pull into a medical building and begin to cruise through the parking lot to find my pickup. I see a Hasidic man on his phone, he's looking at me but does not gesture or in any way acknowledge me.

I see a black woman talking on her phone also looking at me but she not gesture or in any way acknowledge me.

Then I see two elderly feeble looking women standing in the parking lot. They're both looking at me as I approach and slowly drive past. They do not gesture or in any way acknowledge me. I thought it might be them but then again they did not lift a finger or nod or anything to indicate that they were my riders.

I continued around the building and my phone rings. It's the Uber system. I answer the phone and say "hi this is your Uber driver" .

I say "you need to waive or do something to let me know you're my rider. It doesn't show me what you look like".

I say "a lot of people were looking at me, you need to waive or hold up your phone to let me know you are my rider".

I come around the building again and there they are. Still no wave but I'm pretty sure they are my ride so I pull up and they get in. We had a good ride.

I really don't understand how these people think that we're supposed to discern them out of the crowd when they don't give us any indication that they are our rider.

Does Uber not give these people any guidance that they should wave or hold up their phone or do something to let us know they are our rider?

I get annoyed because these riders get angry because we don't have super powers and can read their mind.

My other peeve is the riders who see you approaching and step out into the road and expect you to stop in the middle of the road blocking traffic risking a ticket because they can't wait for you to pull up to them.

I long ago decided that I'm going to pull to the curb or some other safe location even if it means driving past them a little bit. I've seen them make disapproving gestures and facial expressions but I really don't care. I'm not getting a ticket because they were a jerk and they really need to learn the proper way to get into a rideshare. I figure that by not catering to their impatience maybe they'll learn.
I’ll never understand riders who are so safety clueless or impatient that they walk to the middle of the street. I drive past them and make a u-turn.

25rides7daysaweek

Do a search for my Felecia post I think you'll like it LOL

Jufkii

Had a pax text she was at the downtown bus depot and her phone will have a lit up colored screen to make it easier. for me to find her. i saw neither her nor her lit up phone when I arrived so I had to call asking where she was. She said she was waiting inside and didn't know I had arrived but would now be out in a minute. She seemed a bit miffed when she got in my car. My fault apparently for not having x-ray vision and seeing her lit up phone hidden inside the walls of the building.

Last edited:

JamesBond008

Most passengers think that because they've upload a photo to the Uber App that they driver can see that and therefore recognise them on the street.

ZenUber

I drive to the pin and turn on my flashers. If they saw me and didn’t flag me down, then they can walk to me. I make sure they walk to me to get the message across.

doyousensehumor

Now, if pax finds you before you cancel, the ride is much more likely to have problems.

I wouldn't lecture pax. Decide if you are doing the trip. If you are still going to do trip, play it off. If you lecture them, they may hold a grudge, and you have higher odds of false complaint or fare adjustment.