The customer is always right??

Bossy Bee

Lyft driver here sometimes Uber. So the other day I was the pax for a change. Took a Uber, brought my own AUX cord, and mid way through the ride I asked the driver to play a Nicki Minaj song. The guy had been playing warm contemporary at the time, which was putting me to sleep. The guy tells me no he will not play a Nicki Minaj song because the lyrics are to raunchy. When I drive I let the pax listen to whatever they want. Its their ride. Was I wrong here?

UbaBrah

I would've taken your cord, plugged it in, and sang along. But then I am a kiss-ass and Uber shill, so what do I know?

Just goes to show the different standards people have. Literally everyone looks at this gig differently as far as rights, boundaries, acceptable behavior etc.

Bossy Bee

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you want to listen to s particular song, I suggest you use your ear buds and play whatever you want on your phone.

I would NEVER think it’s ok to ask the taxi driver to play what I wanted.
Well I didn't have my headphones at the time and wanted to hear something different. Rideshare is not taxi 😊

RideshareUSA

Lyft driver here sometimes Uber. So the other day I was the pax for a change. Took a Uber, brought my own AUX cord, and mid way through the ride I asked the driver to play a Nicki Minaj song. The guy had been playing warm contemporary at the time, which was putting me to sleep. The guy tells me no he will not play a Nicki Minaj song because the lyrics are to raunchy. When I drive I let the pax listen to whatever they want. Its their ride. Was I wrong here?
Nicki Minaj = 💩

Cold Fusion

When I drove I always had Bloomberg news Sirius XM on.
However, I would tap the screen,
explain it was satilite and ask if there was something else they preferred. Never got a request. Happy pax 😁 Happy car 🚘

Last edited:

waldowainthrop

It is totally up to them how they do the job. “The customer is always right” is just a shorthand blanket statement for businesses that value bending over backward to please people. While one can run a private transit business that way, it isn’t always the best idea. It doesn’t even necessarily bring in tips either. Customers often don’t value an experience without rules or boundaries. This is why some drivers who bend over backward to please still have bad stories about passengers who abuse them.

I let people put on whatever music they like as long as it doesn’t affect car safety. I don’t offer picking music except on rides longer than 20 minutes from passengers who appear to be respectful and reasonable. So that is most passengers but I do reserve the right to insist on a music-free ride as a driver just like a passenger might.

I had a fun ride recently with some younger women putting on Lizzo at full volume and singing along. It was pretty enjoyable and they had an unusually good Uber ride! But I wouldn’t fault a driver who didn’t want to turn their car into a karaoke machine.

Last edited:

Dropking

Yes you were wrong. Its not just your ride. Drivers and pax are sharing the ride, which is how ridesharing got its name. You both should strive to be compatible with each other, but the bottom line is you are a guest in hisher vehicle, and should act the same way you act as a guest in someones home. The driver, like the homeowner, is captain.

radikia

images.jpg

Bossy Bee

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is totally up to them how they do the job. “The customer is always right” is just a shorthand blanket statement for businesses that value bending over backward to please people. While one can run a private transit business that way, it isn’t always the best idea. It doesn’t even necessarily bring in tips either. Customers often don’t value an experience without rules or boundaries. This is why some drivers who bend over backward to please still have bad stories about passengers who abuse them.

I let people put on whatever music they like as long as it doesn’t affect car safety. I don’t offer picking music except on rides longer than 20 minutes from passengers who appear to be respectful and reasonable. So that is most passengers but I do reserve the right to insist on a music-free ride as a driver just like a passenger might.

I had a fun ride recently with some younger women putting on Lizzo at full volume and singing along. It was pretty enjoyable and they had an unusually good Uber ride! But I wouldn’t fault a driver who didn’t want to turn their car into a karaoke machine.
That's fair very well said :smiles:

G.S.M.

Why not bring headphones instead of an aux cord?

That way you can keep your trash music to yourself.

Nobody wants to hear that trash but you.

He should have put you on the curb for even requesting