The COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Weekend Warrior

The fact that the governor of Florida is not currently considering a shutdown....it seems like a bad place to be for the next few months
Florida isn't alone.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Florida isn't alone.

Here is where the American South finally goes chest up with it's FOR DIXIE libertarian nonsense.

Athos

Florida isn't alone.

From the article:

One Mississippian asked the governor why the state was not emulating China, the first country to detect COVID-19 and the first to control the spread of the virus. “Mississippi's never going to be China. Mississippi's never going to be North Korea,”

This response gives us a window into the minds of these old people. It is a bizarre throwback to the anti-communism that is stuck in their heads and jamming up their reasoning. Social distancing, containment, quarantining: none of this has anything to do with politics. Clowns like him put ideology over science. What a moron.

Bugs Bunny.jpg

MUGATS

Well that comes down to a function of length of shutdown. We were already down there long before full government (Canada) measures were put in to place, so we stayed while we had groceries and to wait for my parents already BOOKED Westjet flight. When they were safely touched down at PEARSON AIRPORT waiting for their connection to St. John's Nfld, then we got in our car and drove at full speed back to Canada.

I'd rather have the Canadian healthcare system on my side than the USA one.

A Yacht is a not a terrible thing if you have provisions, and can find a port that will take you in these times of lockdown.

But.
(And it is a big BUT)

If you get sick and require an oxygen ventilator or antibiotics, how @@@@ed are you? Just look to the last 20 generations of sailors, and see how unforgiving being at sea is when you are very sick. I believe they get tossed over the side with a prayer.
My biggest issue is that I have zero trust in the American Healthcare system and the cavalier attitude those in Red States seem to have about the virus.

I think things will eventually get bad here. I do think that the chance things get catastrophic are far lower.
I think things are almost guaranteed to get catastrophic in Florida and other states.

Plus you’ve got a million loons running around with guns and if supplies get low, who knows what happens.

There is a reason “Florida Man” is a running meme when it comes to idiotic behaviour

Karl Marx

I knew this would happen, just not this early in the crisis. I seems that various right wingers are starting to talk about a balance between the economy and lives. I saw it a few days ago when I stumbled upon a US Libertarian site and also saw it in a National Post opinion piece by the odious narcissist Conrad Black. Trump and his wealthy cabal are talking about restarting things as early as Easter. Health professionals there are freaking out about this.

All of these wealthy people have the resources to hide out until the peak has past but they want all of us little people to keep the economy rolling. It is us, the little people, who make things work and what little respect we get. (I remember that Kevin O'Leary from Dragon's Den, a guy who thought he had the right stuff to be Prime Minister, once remarked that he liked the large gap between rich and poor because there would always be someone to clean his toilets.)

I am glad to see that Trudeau is working for us, not the stock market and am hugely surprised that Doug Ford has been doing such a good job. He used to complain that he is not Donald Trump lite and I will now agree with that. In fact, all of our Premiers are doing a good job. It's not hard to make decisions if you follow the science and fortunately, we don't have one leader who claims he is a "stable genius" like Trump and, like him, go against the science with bullshit ideology and whims.

The entire Libertarian movement will hopefully be pushed back to the fringes from where it emerged. I'm sure they see this as a blow to all of their work of making consequence-free individualism mainstream. Like the environment, the biota of the world is shared and we can't partition ourselves off and firewall ourselves from each other. Libertarianism is an impossible political stance in our modern world. It may have had a place in the 18th century as a pole of thought and a foil to other ideas of political organization but now it is worse than useless and a reactionary threat to health, safety and the ecology of the entire planet. As an idea it has only been kept alive because of the lavish spending of the sociopathic plutocrats in the US. I think they should be taxed out of existence. They are poison.

Don't get me wrong, I like individualism, just not the extreme asocial atomization they espouse. Theirs is an individualism with an overemphasis on property rights. It leads them to Social Darwinism and puts as all at each other's throats. There has to be a balance. We are not animals. We can choose otherwise.
OK chaps....we might have a bigger problem than the Virus. As Prof. McPherson has been warning about, global dimming could be our next catastrophic event.

Yam Digger

Here is where the American South finally goes chest up with it's FOR DIXIE libertarian nonsense.
Aww yeah! 🤘🏻 It’s time to cull the herd. 💀

please forgive my gallows sense of humour. I couldn’t resist
And it doesn’t take a genius to know what those reefers are for 💀
It wouldn’t surprise me if 10x more people died from this in the 5 boroughs than 9/11.
Post automatically merged:
Only 5x? I’m expecting at least 10x

Petrikov

Where is Sophie Trudeau? I am worried about her health. She suppose to recover on March 16 but I am googling about her health and nothing? She helped to lock us up on quarantine and it’s time to ask why she is not on the news anymore telling about her speedy recovery. Justin lost my credibility right here. Manipulative bastard. The pregnant women hit the hardest it’s a disgrace to spread so much fear.

dmoney155

OK chaps....we might have a bigger problem than the Virus. As Prof. McPherson has been warning about, global dimming could be our next catastrophic event.
It be good test to see if hot weather tames the virus.
Post automatically merged:

Where is Sophie Trudeau? I am worried about her health. She suppose to recover on March 16 but I am googling about her health and nothing? She helped to lock us up on quarantine and it’s time to ask why she is not on the news anymore telling about her speedy recovery. Justin lost my credibility right here. Manipulative bastard. The pregnant women hit the hardest it’s a disgrace to spread so much fear.
Worrying about other man's wife huh? mmmhmmm lol.

MUGATS

Where is Sophie Trudeau? I am worried as bout her health. She suppose to recover on March 16 but I am googling about her health and nothing? She helped to lock us up on quarantine and it’s time to ask why she is not on the news anymore telling about her speedy recovery. Justin lost my credibility right here. Manipulative bastard. The pregnant women hit the hardest it’s a disgrace to spread so much fear.
What a stupid post.