The challenges of driving a yellow cab in the age of Uber

Uberdancer

If you want to know the effect Uber and Lyft are having on New York City’s yellow cabs, just take a ride to JFK’s taxi parking lot.

At any time of day, there are hundreds of cabbies waiting desperately, most of the time for hours, in hopes of grabbing the industry’s consolation prize — a $52 fixed fare back to the city.

Or go to any major hotel in Manhattan and look at all the taxicabs lined up outside. These cabbies are willing to wait for hours, hoping that when it is their turn, the passenger doesn’t just want to go 10 blocks.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/18/the-challenges-of-driving-a-taxi-in-the-age-of-uber/

Uberdancer

Oops!!!

IMG_0939.JPG

Goduckies

Yeah they did i requested a ride a day in advance a few years ago to go to bart to get to sfo was confirmed... so at the time they said on their way for 40 minutes after request time. Since they didn't show up I had to downloaded uber and got there quick in half the price.I have had numerous instances like that with Taxis... never any with uber as a rider...

Zippeous

Sorry Cabbies... You scrwed us for too long now u get screwed.... to bad....
You do realize UberX and Lyft is just cab service for people who can't pass an actual fingerprint background check. Also, most drivers are just ex cabbies who can no longer make rent in a real cab.

Sacto Burbs

Yeah they did i requested a ride a day in advance a few years ago to go to bart to get to sfo was confirmed... so at the time they said on their way for 40 minutes after request time. Since they didn't show up I had to downloaded uber and got there quick in half the price.I have had numerous instances like that with Taxis... never any with uber as a rider...
For a cheapie ride to BART? That is an "arrive". See BART, drive away. Poor Uber driver.

I have seen the enemy, and he is us

(Pogo)

Strange Fruit

Ohhh. You mean cab companies suck, so @@@@ those drivers.
Uber sucks, so @@@@ Uber drivers. All of you deserve to make less & less money. Hopefully you end up homeless. Uber drivers suck. I was in the Richmond trying to get to work the other morning, and no one would take my ping. Idk what happened. My driver friend said he was getting pings from 10+mins away cuz he was in the middle of a surge, and the faraway pings weren't, and so no one would take those pings. That must've been where my ping was. Either way, I couldn't get to work in the morning using Uber. Uber drivers screwed me.

Goduckies

God forbid I contract a service and they actually show up... but yeah, i was the enemy and they should only get super long rides...f them.

Is uber perfect? No, but it is a he'll of a lot better than a cab.

Kodyhead

God forbid I contract a service and they actually show up... but yeah, i was the enemy and they should only get super long rides...f them.

Is uber perfect? No, but it is a he'll of a lot better than a cab.
That's the general perception of most customers, but its the lesser of 2 evils

Uberdancer

There ought to a feature wherein the rider can offer a tip to entice drivers to want to pick them up if they've been canceled or declined for too long distance or too short distance or wrong distance, or whatever ... dogs, pets, strollers, wheelchairs, groceries, kids ...