• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The best thing that could have happened

The one time I try to put in a day shift, a minnesota decides to smooch my prius.

The idea that day driving is safer is bullshit. Sober day drivers aren't that much better than night time drunk drivers, but there are so many more of them trying to give you a bad day.
I handle the crash, call the police, uber and insurance company. Pretty obviously the other person's fault, and I have the video to prove it.
A few days after James Rivers calls to interrogate me, I get permanently deactivated.
I send emails and phone calls, then I bring the video to the GLH. The rep watches the video, then tells me she wouldn't help me even if she could because I wasn't defensive driving.

It sucks because my ratings were on a steady upward trajectory, I brought it from the brink of deactivation to 4.7+ and now its for nothing.
My car was totaled and I got a decent payout. The insurance company let me keep my car for a very cheap salvage price. My car is still perfectly usable as a personal car, just not suitable for rideshare.
Rideshare was in many ways a distraction from training for my career, so I hope this means I will put more effort into completing it.
For the moment, I am freed from being abused by rideshare companies and pax, at least until I start doing deliveries or get a replacement car to do Lyft.

25rides7daysaweek

The one time I try to put in a day shift, a minnesota decides to smooch my prius.

The idea that day driving is safer is bullshit. Sober day drivers aren't that much better than night time drunk drivers, but there are so many more of them trying to give you a bad day.
I handle the crash, call the police, uber and insurance company. Pretty obviously the other person's fault, and I have the video to prove it.
A few days after James Rivers calls to interrogate me, I get permanently deactivated.
I send emails and phone calls, then I bring the video to the GLH. The rep watches the video, then tells me she wouldn't help me even if she could because I wasn't defensive driving.

It sucks because my ratings were on a steady upward trajectory, I brought it from the brink of deactivation to 4.7+ and now its for nothing.
My car was totaled and I got a decent payout. The insurance company let me keep my car for a very cheap salvage price. My car is still perfectly usable as a personal car, just not suitable for rideshare.
Rideshare was in many ways a distraction from training for my career, so I hope this means I will put more effort into completing it.
For the moment, I am freed from being abused by rideshare companies and pax, at least until I start doing deliveries or get a replacement car to do Lyft.
4.7 IS the brink of deactivation.
It sucks you got hit but the
dashcam proves you werent at fault
Hopefully you'll make out..

Gtown Driver

This is just Uber's funny way of telling you it's time for bigger and better things.

Still make sure you go out there and get some Uber rides to tell the other drivers about the conditions. They'll always still want you to ride for them and pay them money of course.

Merc7186

Of course Uber deactivated you....there are 10 ants waiting to take your place and you not driving anymore is just one more account jamming up their system.

Why does this surprise people???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
4.7 IS the brink of deactivation.
It sucks you got hit but the
dashcam proves you werent at fault
Hopefully you'll make out..
I was 7x 1 stars away from 4.6, the deactivation threshold where I drive. Brink is being at 4.5X and getting a warning message in the app.

Your car was totaled from that? What make/model is it?
My car is an '08. repair estimate came in at $4k

SFOspeedracer

They totaled out your car? It didn’t seem like much to be totaled but I wasn’t there and I know sometimes videos don’t do justice ..

I also agree that day driving is not safer, at all .. especially during rush hour .. and just as unsafe as driving at night (or during the afternoon) on the weekends. Out of a whole week the safest time to drive is at night after 8pm and before 4:30am Mon-Thurs. There are significantly less cars out .. since most people are home at that time from the last string of rush hour making dinner and nobody is really going out at night as much during the weekday compared to the weekend .. of course ridership is slower but if you’re pt then it works out ..

Least it wasn’t tragic .. or fatal .. there are better opportunities ahead

Good luck .. glad you at least feel you got paid out fairly
Post automatically merged:

My car is an '08. repair estimate came in at $4k
That makes sense then

Last edited:

OldBay

If it was my car, I'd buy a same colored door(s) / fender from a wrecker and replace them myself. If the rear quarter panel is crunched I'd just leave it as is, you can probably still rideshare with a dented rear quarter. Fender and doors just bolt on.

I doubt there is any structural damage that would require frame bending.

OTH, now that it is a salvage title, you can't rideshare with it anyway.

Pics of damage?
-----------------

Regarding the accident, your car was hidden from his view from the parked trucks. He inched out slowly in case someone was coming.

Your reaction time was really bad and it seems like you made a false assumption that he could see you or that he wouldn't dare merge into your lane. As there was another lane to the left you could have swerved to avoid.

At least you appeared to be going the speed limit (unless its a 15mph), but the video shows that you were not really paying attention.

On any given day, I have to avoid a handful of situations like that.

Last edited:

Drivincrazy

I saw that car coming way early. I understand the driver did not stop and look for oncoming cars...perhaps absolving you of at fault. But, seriously, in Vegas, I drive as if that sort of thing can happen at any moment. All drivers should...if you like your car.
I can see why Uber deactivated you. You didn't seem to slow down much or swerve away. Always be proactive, defensively and be ready to be super quick...there are plenty of idiot drivers on the road like the one you collided with. It seems their favorite things to do are ignore blind spots and tailgate within a few feet. Out of 8,300 rides, I've had to take serious evasive action about four times...so, it's gonna' happen...always be aware.
All drivers should Google search the Smith 5 point driving advisories...it's mainly for truckers, but applies to all drivers as well. It's excellent info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Regarding the accident, your car was hidden from his view from the parked trucks. He inched out slowly in case someone was coming.

Your reaction time was really bad and it seems like you made a false assumption that he could see you or that he wouldn't dare merge into your lane. As there was another lane to the left you could have swerved to avoid.

At least you appeared to be going the speed limit (unless its a 15mph), but the video shows that you were not really paying attention.

On any given day, I have to avoid a handful of situations like that.
I saw that car coming way early. I understand the driver did not stop and look for oncoming cars...perhaps absolving you of at fault. But, seriously, in Vegas, I drive as if that sort of thing can happen at any moment. All drivers should...if you like your car.
I can see why Uber deactivated you. You didn't seem to slow down much or swerve away. Always be proactive, defensively and be ready to be super quick...there are plenty of idiot drivers on the road like the one you collided with. It seems their favorite things to do are ignore blind spots and tailgate within a few feet. Out of 8,300 rides, I've had to take serious evasive action about four times...so, it's gonna' happen...always be aware.
All drivers should Google search the Smith 5 point driving advisories...it's mainly for truckers, but applies to all drivers as well. It's excellent info.
This is a discussion I wanted to have so I'm glad you brought it up. I will make my case here as I did with the GLH person:

I did make an assumption, because the SUV didn't look like someone about to barge into my lane. You say yourself that he looked like someone who was inching out slowly in case someone was coming. You don't do that without looking in the direction of approaching traffic. Up until 00:04.99, the suv is just someone carefully crawling forward in a limited visibility situation, checking for traffic, who has seen me and will stop without entering my lane.

I reacted exactly when I wanted to. 00:05.00, the suv becomes unlikely to stop, so I initiate a lane change. The move extended the suv's opportunity to stop without colliding, which increased the chance of averting a crash without hard maneuvering. Even if the driver wasn't looking my way, my position in the driver's field of vision would be improved, increasing the chance he would see me and stop without crashing. It didn't pay off but it could have.
At that point, the alternative would be to not swerve and slam on the brakes, which was the safer thing to do.

So far, consensus seems to be to slow down as soon as you see the suv. Maybe that's what it takes to never crash. It seems, to me, also like a good way to never get anywhere. Slow car? He might not stop, better slow down. Decelerating car? He might let off the brake, better slow down. Stopped car? he might start moving, better slow down. There is a line where some assumptions are reasonable, and some risk is acceptable.

OldBay

This is a discussion I wanted to have so I'm glad you brought it up. I will make my case here as I did with the GLH person:

I did make an assumption, because the SUV didn't look like someone about to barge into my lane. You say yourself that he looked like someone who was inching out slowly in case someone was coming. You don't do that without looking in the direction of approaching traffic. Up until 00:04.99, the suv is just someone carefully crawling forward in a limited visibility situation, checking for traffic, who has seen me and will stop without entering my lane.

I reacted exactly when I wanted to. 00:05.00, the suv becomes unlikely to stop, so I initiate a lane change. The move extended the suv's opportunity to stop without colliding, which increased the chance of averting a crash without hard maneuvering. Even if the driver wasn't looking my way, my position in the driver's field of vision would be improved, increasing the chance he would see me and stop without crashing. It didn't pay off but it could have.
At that point, the alternative would be to not swerve and slam on the brakes, which was the safer thing to do.

So far, consensus seems to be to slow down as soon as you see the suv. Maybe that's what it takes to never crash. It seems, to me, also like a good way to never get anywhere. Slow car? He might not stop, better slow down. Decelerating car? He might let off the brake, better slow down. Stopped car? he might start moving, better slow down. There is a line where some assumptions are reasonable, and some risk is acceptable.
If a car pulling out of a side street is moving forward slowly, that means he hasn't seen me. At that point I'm already lightly on the brakes and watching to see what he does.

If he puts on the brakes and stops, that means he sees me. At that point I cautiously proceed.

If he is still rolling, that means he never saw me and at that point I'm slowing to a stop and getting ready to honk / give him the finger.

Because he was rolling the whole time, the assumtion you SHOULD have made was that he didn't see you.

To me it looks like you assumed he saw you, despite the evidence that he did not.

ALSO, you drive a tiny car , NEVER FORGET THAT! A small car can be hidden from view by the window pillar of a larger vehicle. He may be at "fault", but he was driving reasonably and there were errors in your judgement and/or driver skills. Please take this opportunity to absorb this, learn from it, and make sure it never happens again.

ariel5466

I avoid a potential accident at least once a day. Defensive driving is key. Assume that every other driver is an idiot who has no idea what they're doing and never assume that somebody can see you or will stop when they're supposed to.
Regardless, I'm glad everything ended up working out for you. Keep up that positive attitude 👍

Z129

-:- * -:- * -:- * -:-
It doesn't look good. From our after-the-fact Monday Morning QB perspective it looks like you simply failed to notice the large white SUV that the rest of us can see approaching the corner before you even cleared those parked cars. And then, when the rest of us can see the car is going to hit you, you didn't react. This video does show a lack of defensive driving skills - at that particular moment in time. Thanks goodness you're okay. I hope your insurance makes you whole again. Accidents happen. It could be any of us here explaining why we did or did not do what we did or did not do.

I also find daytime driving far more dangerous than night driving.

tohunt4me

2012 is shut off year here.
Cant be over 8 years old.
Will have to replace my 2014 in 2 years.

Will replace with a Hertz x rental car.

wicked

Dude why weren't you anticipating that? You can see the SUV approaching between the parked cars on the right. I personally would have taken a moment to see if they would stop.

The parked cars make that a place where you would want to be doing about 15mph since it's blind.

We all know that every American worker is the authority on their job and how to do it, so good luck I guess.