1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The Aux Cord Fallacy

Discussion in 'Toronto' started by Kurt Halfyard, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Kurt Halfyard

Kurt Halfyard Moderator Author

Driving:
    Lyft
    aux_fallacy.jpg

I am relatively new to Ride-Sharing, having only driven for a few weeks (111 rides and counting).

My most correlated insight has been that pax who request an AUX cord are the ones I do not want in my car. They tend to be rude, screw up placing their pin, ask for extra stops without using the app, and generally ignore any attempt at being pleasant, wrapped in their own AUX-bubble.

I always get a bit of an unconscious cringe-face when I hear the phrase, "Do you have an AUX cord?"

Does anyone else have this experience with AUX-loving Pax?

49er, METRO3, ChesterSt and 9 others like this.
  2. imsam

imsam

Just say "No, I don't use aux cord."

and if they ask if they can connect to the bluetooth, say like "It's connected to my phone and I don't want to reset the pairing".

We shouldn't really be catering to these requests, honestly.

I have an aux cord and everything, even charger for everyone but I don't say anything unless they seem to really need them. Like as in emergency to keep the phone alive or something.

Good thing is most of these riders are younger people and most of them have one of the latest iphones which don't have headphone jacks LOL. So Apple is kinda helping us stop this AUX fallacy for us indirectly somehow.

hooj, deagl344, 49er and 8 others like this.
  3. Kurt Halfyard

Driving:
    Lyft
    My point is not that the simple request for an aux cord is a jerk move. It is not, and i am happy to fulfill that request for anyone who desires it.

My point is that the person that makes the request has a higher likelyhood of being a lower-quality-customer on all fronts.

(hence my use of the word correlation)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    hooj, 49er, METRO3 and 4 others like this.
  4. Yes, there is a link between in-car dooshbaggery and aux cord requests.

hooj, Cary Grant, 49er and 9 others like this.
  5. Lolinator

Lolinator

best ones are the bluetooh warriors who ask to connect their phones for 8 minute ride

6. Athos

Athos

Driving:
    UberX
    I have the same cringing feeling.

Could these people be in a flight from solitude? There was a boredom experiment done showing that people would give themselves mild electric shocks after 15 minutes in a quiet room. I think the primitive beat of simple music is like a very temporary drug for young people and having a stronger effect when louder. Some middle aged people fill quiet space with the thoughtless blathering of talk radio- radio talk that leaves them with nothing they can remember. In general I think they have a fear of being left with their own thoughts. The music is a drug and a jabbering radio becomes ersatz thinking- thinking that they think is their own. Anything but the loneliness of quiet or the confusion of actual thoughts. Like Aldous Huxley's Soma it is an escape from freedom.

JohnnyBravo836, i_k and Kurt Halfyard like this.
  7. Kurt Halfyard

Driving:
    Lyft
    This actually happened to me last night.
    Instead, I let them use my Car-Play iphone interface (USB/Lightning Cord)
    The pax seemed happen enough with that compromise.

I'm a BraveNewWorld fan as well. Dom Delillo had several things to say on this subject, (having your world being all-singing-all-dancing-all-the-time-stimulation as well.) Thanks for making my day with a good lit-reference!

Judgeetox likes this.
  8. Athos

Athos

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, I think Huxley's Brave New World is more pertinent today than Orwell's 1984. I just googled Dom Delillo. Interesting thinker. Have you read Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death? His analysis of television transfers well to the modern medias. All of these writers point to a general dumbing-down, a cultural entropy.

9. Dewey500

Dewey500

Just ask them what phone they have. Most now have a iPhone 7 or newer. No aux for you.

If they have a Samsung. Sorry, a pax broke it lol

10. 2Cents

2Cents

11. Kurt Halfyard

Driving:
    Lyft
    Again: It's not the AUX cord request that is bad, it is the person who generally requests the AUX cord is bad! (There is a fundamental difference!)

One Star likes this.
  12. No more aux codes period unless anything over 2.5 Surge

hooj likes this.
  13. MUGATS

MUGATS Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah I agree. Usually a group of kids who act like fools and want to play garbage music.

I have satellite radio. They can find something on that for their 6 minute ride.

God forbid they can’t listen to Drake for 5 minutes on the way to a bar that plays Drake all night.

hooj, Judgeetox, Yam Digger and 7 others like this.
  14. ktuned

ktuned

I always tell them i use Bluetooth and they don’t bother they just change channels to z103 or virgin lol

15. Uber Drew

Uber Drew

Driving:
    UberX
    I play white noise. Just loud enough to make it feel like a plane.

16. Dewey500

Dewey500

Ohhhhh ok lol

Kurt Halfyard likes this.
  17. Myxx

Myxx

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I supply Aux capabilities and hotspots on demand and will continue to do so.. PAX are my guests and are treated accordingly. Aux requests are less than 5% of my rides and I only drive evenings,.

I've also been know to shazam some of my PAx's playlists so I can build on mine

bigblue1ca, i_k, Jessi_87 and 2 others like this.
  18. Kurt Halfyard

Driving:
    Lyft
    I also have Sirius XM all channels in my car. There are a LOT of options there. And isn't it more fun to get something you aren't expecting, than playing the same song again and again and again? I am going to write this up to the folly of youth.

I agree with all of this. I do the same. My point again is not that I dislike providing the cord, but rather those who ask for the cord are more often than not jerks. It's not the asking, it's the type of person who typically asks! An empirical correlation.

(Case in point: On Saturday I had a wonderful saxophone musician in the car, and he was playing me stuff he loves, on his phone. (He never asked for the cord, but of course I gave it to him so we could get the full range of sound on the songs he was playing for me on my cars half-decent sound system. He was not a jerk at all, but rather a wonderful human being! Note: he didn't ask for the AUX.)

19. JanMarkus

JanMarkus

I give Aux cord access to riders whose ride is 10 mins or less. That way I dont have to listen to their music. If the ride is longer, NADA aux cord :)

20. i_k

i_k

To be fair, those kind of annoying pax will be there whether they ask for the aux or not..

In my experience I never saw a correlation between people who ask for the aux and trouble pax’, they were mostly friendly people who don’t like the radio. The only bad thing I can say about them is they never tip..

Kurt Halfyard likes this.