The Arrival of Uber Pro in Pittsburgh - Any Thoughts?

JimD

Colleagues: I got an email notification about twenty minutes ago saying that as of tomorrow (5/1) we'll all be Uber Pros! Lmao.......... what do you think?

MasterKNinja

In addition to earning points, maintain the following: keep your star rating at 4.85 or above, your cancellation rate at 4% or below, and your acceptance rate at 85% or above to earn Gold, Platinum, and Diamond rewards.
I won’t get too far with Uber Pro with a required 85% acceptance ratio, since Uber routinely sends me pings from 22-25 min. away.

Here’s the details.

Saltminer

Based on current driving habits, I should make platinum; I'm not sure any of these rewards are sufficient that I would change anything, unless I'm at the edge of a tier

JimD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I might have an issue with turning down rides..... i don't often take trips that are more than 8 minutes away.... i usually do about 12 trips a day, so if i decline two of them (by no means unusual) i'm screwed........ i guess time will tell.......

JimD

Bad math! If i decline 2 of 14 pings - taking 12 rides of 14 offers - I'd be at 85.71%..........

Xeverrer

All I saw is they’ve got a partnership with ASU for tuition now like Starbucks and they want to take away things like filters or promotions for drivers they don’t like...

MasterKNinja

All I saw is they’ve got a partnership with ASU for tuition now like Starbucks and they want to take away things like filters or promotions for drivers they don’t like...
To qualify you need 3,000+ trips total & need to complete 100 trips per month on average with the above cancellation & acceptance rates. It’s also only in 10 select cities to start, don’t know that Pittsburgh is one of them. The other caveat is Uber will 1099 you the equivalent of the tuition, so at around $8K full time tuition, you’d owe $1200 in taxes. Seems like a better deal than Starbucks which only covers 42% of tuition.

——
Looks like Pgh is in the tuition cities.

Last edited:

Wiz65

I'm gold.

Seems like nothing to me; same "rewards" repackaged and re-branded. Gas discount (with their VISA), gold "promotions", tuition at ASU, recognition in rider app, blah blah

MasterKNinja

I'm gold.

Seems like nothing to me; same "rewards" repackaged and re-branded. Gas discount (with their VISA), gold "promotions", tuition at ASU, recognition in rider app, blah blah
Yeah largely the same. The things that caught my eye:
Priority Airport Rematch for Diamond (which could require almost 100 trips/week) — I assume that’s the skip-the-queue function they tested last year which is pretty sweet.

Trip Duration/Direction for Gold+ — which would be great for cherry picking rides but you have to maintain 85% acceptance, which sorta defeats the purpose. That’s really my main gripe with doing Uber long term is how tedious it gets never knowing how far or where you’re going, you just have to intuit it from experience.

JimD

MKN - interesting you say that about where/how far....... personally, i like that concept!!, lol......... it's like an adventure...... i'm not sure i want to know anything until we're leaving the curb....... i'm sure it's a result of my upbringing or something like that........ i'll see tomorrow!

Saltminer

Yup. I'm platinum. The fuel discount is good. Now beats Sam's Club for net price. The time for next ride is also nice. Can't use it often and maintain the acceptance rates but does still help. Spent more time on Lyft this a.m. than Uber so can't get comment on the enhanced promotions.

MasterKNinja

MKN - interesting you say that about where/how far....... personally, i like that concept!!, lol......... it's like an adventure...... i'm not sure i want to know anything until we're leaving the curb....... i'm sure it's a result of my upbringing or something like that........ i'll see tomorrow!
Yeah yeah I’m with you. There’s times when it’s fun to ‘freestyle’ & just see where you end up. But there’s also a lot of times I’m trying to ‘rideshare’ & give a few rides on a commute or when I’m out doing errands, but then I get the surprise trip to nowhere. Happened tonight. Last night the students are around, so figured I’d bang out rides 9pm-12am, have a destination filter set to be home at midnight & get a ride a half hour in the opposite direction so I don’t get home til 1am. Either their coding is absolutely broken, which I highly doubt given how much they’re paying engineers, or they trick you on purpose to scam another hour of labor from you. Super annoying & hella shady.

JimD

yep...... another way to look at it..... i like different/new ideas....lol....... typically, what i would call a long ride here in Pittsburgh is 15/20 minutes..... the airport is 25/30.......... i have used the destination filter maybe twice and it hammered me both times....... the few times i have been pulled 45 - 60 minutes outside the city i remember thinking about how important it is to manage your business....... it's work! (which i am vehemently opposed to).......

Saltminer

Quests are tiered for the Pro Level. Have an email to choose my quest today, giving 6 choices, ranging from 30 trips to 90 trips Monday through Thursday. It's less than a dollar a trip for Platinum, but gets close to a dollar at the top end. At each level, the Pro tier you are in increases the payout by $10. Here's a screenshot of the top two options.

On gas, I am getting a 4 percent discount, so over 12c a gallon at Sam's Club. That's better than using their card which gives 5c. Definitely the best gas price going forward of any of my available discounts.

Attachments

300Miles

I'm gold. I am surprised I made it that far as I've thrown myself into another career in anticipation of the end of rideshare as we once knew it.

I had high hopes for Uber Pro, mostly in the ASU free tuition arena. I was disappointed. The course descriptions are wishy-washy, lack intellectual rigour, and there are no graduate degrees. It's a good place to go if you want a pointless activist degree, or if you want to be a policeman.

I would have picked up either an MFA or MBA or a BS in materials science. Even the computer science seems behind the times. You can learn to program python or C++ I codeacademy.com for free. The happening languages now are Go and Scala and they are not available.

In short, it's not worth being an indentured servant to these guys.

MasterKNinja

yep...... another way to look at it..... i like different/new ideas....lol....... typically, what i would call a long ride here in Pittsburgh is 15/20 minutes..... the airport is 25/30.......... i have used the destination filter maybe twice and it hammered me both times....... the few times i have been pulled 45 - 60 minutes outside the city i remember thinking about how important it is to manage your business....... it's work! (which i am vehemently opposed to).......
I was the only driver online tonight so I could test the algorithm a bit. It looks like if you’re the only driver online, Uber will send a ride request even if you have a destination filter set. If there are other drivers online (within the 25 min. request radius), it will send the request to them if it’s not a match. So basically if it’s convenient for their customer, Uber doesn’t care if you need to be somewhere. The only recourse you have of course is kicking someone out of your car. I’m sure Uber’s data has shown that more often than not drivers will give the ride.

JimD

i think you are probably right.... there is a lot of conversation about DF topics - none good........ my few experiences were comical and i don't bother anymore....... but i'm in the city so it's not such an important tool for me....... if it was i'd want it to work .... i've read recently where some markets had it removed from app..... i do believe they want the fastest possible pick-up, regardless...... i also think if they were smarter they would keep the drivers happier....... lol

tryingforthat5star

I don't go after the pro benefits all I care about at the end of the night is how much actual money is in my pocket excluding all there pro quest nonsense etc..If a ride is crappy I'm going to cancel, if I feel the surge is better right now I'm going to cancel I'm not gonna give up a $8-9 surge that $2 a few min ago just for an extra $10 quest after I do a bazillion 60 trips or whatever it is. You get my point to me the pro is just nothing but typical Uber smoke screen trying to make you do more for them with little in return. Get that money as fast and as simple as you can.

Saltminer

I don't go after the pro benefits all I care about at the end of the night is how much actual money is in my pocket excluding all there pro quest nonsense etc..If a ride is crappy I'm going to cancel, if I feel the surge is better right now I'm going to cancel I'm not gonna give up a $8-9 surge that $2 a few min ago just for an extra $10 quest after I do a bazillion 60 trips or whatever it is. You get my point to me the pro is just nothing but typical Uber smoke screen trying to make you do more for them with little in return. Get that money as fast and as simple as you can.
Don't disagree. I am platinum but just because I am platinum. I don't see anything they offer here as altering what I am doing one way or the other . Good chance I don't requalify in the summer because for whatever reason, I find Lyft competes pretty well with good pickups in summer months (unlike the rest of the year).