The 45+ minute ride designation

dimwit_driver

Has anybody else had any experience with this new "feature" on Uber? If so, how has your experience with it been? I have received two of these so far.

The first was a Select run. I was in a 1.4 boost area at the time, so I was salivating over the possibility of a 45+ minute Select ride at 1.4. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that would have been a nice fare. I pick the guy up from a club and he's going to... another club. At the top of Crap Hill. If one really wanted in 45 minutes they could have made the walk and been well into their first drink, at least. He was a really nice guy and tipped, but he lives and parties in the city. He's never going 45 minutes anywhere on Uber.

The second experience was an airport hotel pickup. I had just dropped off someone at a another hotel and was planning on heading home, but I really wanted to know where the 45+ minutes location was so I accepted the ping (otherwise I would have let it go). So I pick up the rider and slide the start and get this screen:
IMG_1496.jpg
I'll save you the suspense: the ride was not 952 hours and 9 minutes. I am NOT currently writing this on my special car boat with satellite transmission in the Atlantic. His destination was Kirkland. He said he had entered the destination in his app. He tried repeatedly to change his destination, but every time he did the app would crap out in the middle (I watched). I couldn't change it, either. The only screen I could get to from the above was the waybill. It was like some sort of technical glitch. We finally gave up on the correct destination in the app, and I entered it in google maps and got him there. The total was correct and it paid, no problem. While it was a good ride, and a long ride, it was several minutes short of 45 (at least at 12.30 at night; rush hour would be another story).

So, neither of my 45+ minute rides were 45 minute rides. How about for others?

K-pax

It isn't strictly 45+ min, but I like it. Had a 37min ride with the 45+ designation. Very profitable ride tho.

Logger

I like it too. On Sunday I was meeting up with some friends for the Seahawks game but was hoping to squeeze one more ride in before the game. I got a 45+ ping and knew not to accept it. Very convenient.

SKuber

I 've had three, it's no mystery out here what the destination is... SeaTac of course. I wish lyft would follow suit.

Travis Bickle Uber

This will be really interesting on NYE. After midnight when surge hits 5X+ just sit back and wait until you get a long distance ping.

Fabio the legend

That low rate sure hurts on runs like that, doesn't it?
I only takek those when i leave home early in the morning towards seattle. An airport run from Tacoma is only $25 and to dt seattle only $40. It aint much, but its better than driving up with an empty car. I realized its easier to get a ride in taacoma than on lets say federal way or alburn.

DexNex

I have seen two.

One was a Select from deep in Magnolia to SeaTac (traffic was heavy that day).

Second was an early AM XL run from Ravenna to Ellensburg. That run cancelled about two minutes after the request came out. Would have been an epic run.

K-pax

Seattle to Ellensburg. That would have been nice. I had a Capitol Hill to Richmond BC once... only, the guy put the wrong address in. He was going downtown. DOH!

aspacepig

I had one to Bainbridge, with pick up in WS, the old biddy had put in Bainbridge Ferry Terminal instead of Seattle Ferry Terminal.

Ballard_Driver

I think I've only seen it once, and didn't even accept the call because it was a Pool or something at a time I was only in the mood for XLs. 45 minutes is nice, but also a bit on the long side for even semi common trips around here. A 20+ or 30+ would almost be a more useful alert.

This will be really interesting on NYE. After midnight when surge hits 5X+ just sit back and wait until you get a long distance ping.

NYE, who needs to wait for that? Honestly it would be worth waiting it out even in DT or Cap Hill if you're positioned right on a Saturday night and the surge is decent. If you don't get one by the time surge is dying down take whatever. Even if Lyft has better PT the long distance could easily override a bit more PT in terms of total cash.

aspacepig

I arrived to pick up pax after accepting a ping, to find a 37 mile ride (1h30m) waiting for me, without having received any such notification that it would be longer than 45min.

DexNex

I am reading that Lyft is now doing the same. Anyone had a Lyft request marked like this?

Gabam

My experience with this feature is mixed. I once got a 108 mile trip with it and made good money. But then a couple of days ago I got an 18 mile trip with a 55 minute ETA which I hated. So 45-plus minute trip does not mean alot of miles sometimes you just get stuck in traffic, especially if a trip involves ridiculous Bridges like the Bay Bridge or a tunnel like the Lincoln Tunnel

I drive in San Francisco sorry for posting here