• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

The $2.00 joke

Scottie B

From the Sun newspaper

A NEW $2 levy on taxi and Uber trips the Andrews Government wants to enforce from next year will be able to be slashed at the stroke of a pen.

The Herald Sun has learnt the $2 charge, included in laws introduced to state parliament as part of sweeping industry reforms, will act as a cap only.

This means while a future state government cannot increase the amount, it can reduce it to a different level — such as $1 or even nothing — without having to change the law. The levy has been introduced to help pay compensation to taxi licence holders, and is part of a wider package of sweeping reforms that will “level the playing field” and encourage new operators to compete in the market.

The Andrews Government will introduce draft laws on Thursday, which include a compensation and industry transformation package worth $494 million — up from an original estimate of $453 million.

This is because late last year the government announced that taxi licence holders would be able to get a “buyout” of $100,000 for the first licence they own, plus $50,000 for up to three additional licences.

The original plan was for compensation to flow for a maximum of two licences.

Public Transport Minister Jacinta Allan also revealed that all operators would be required to disclose to the State Revenue Office the number of rides they have provided, in order to work out the levy.

This is likely to be controversial, with ride-share giant Uber arguing in other states and countries that to disclose their data would be to release commercial-in-confidence information.

“Should any provider now comply with this legislation … then we have mechanisms in the levy to see them not be able to operate in the state of Victoria,” Ms Allan said.

“Should any driver take a booking from a provider that is not complying, then they will also not be able to drive for that provider.”

London Rides managing director Mark Wilson said he hoped MPs would usher legislation through state parliament as soon as possible to allow them to operate.

The state Opposition has already flagged it may try to block the $2 levy, and crossbench and Greens MPs want to send the draft laws to a parliamentary inquiry.

But Mr Wilson said lengthy delays could “make it really difficult for us to make it commercially viable to get on the road”.

ubermercury

The government appears to be wanting to start a fight with Uber..
They would well know that Uber will strongly object to providing ride numbers.
Difficult to see how this will be resolved as it will create a precedent for Uber world wide.
London Rides is getting lots of publicity for a company not actually operating.

drivindad

Well Matt has reached out and sent emails asking the "partners" to sign a petition against the $2 levy.

He must be joking!!!

BreadandWater

Well Matt has reached out and sent emails asking the "partners" to sign a petition against the $2 levy.

He must be joking!!!
Why I still that???
I happily signed it!!!
I don't want those taxi mafia owners getting a single cent in compensation, especially when their contract explicitly stated that they are not entitled to compensation!

Strategist99

I
Why I still that???
I happily signed it!!!
I don't want those taxi mafia owners getting a single cent in compensation, especially when their contract explicitly stated that they are not entitled to compensation!
I think the plate owners will be compensated outright via tax money, the levy will only work to compensate that 494m debt which would result due to this compensation.

ubermercury

Not just "partners", riders too!
It will be riders more than drivers that will lead any opposition.
This Labor government takes no prisoners, sacks anybody who gets in the way and is driven by its extreme ideology.
Thus they have drafted legislation that they knew would not be acceptable to Uber that already predicts Uber's response. They could have designed the legislation better.
My understanding is that they would not talk to Uber during the planning phase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moober68

Or any other phase :biggrin:
Why would they talk to Uber? They are tax evading cowboys.The food chain works this way: Government squeezes Uber, Uber squeezes drivers, drivers eventually abuse passengers who complain to Government and Uber. Uber doesn't care about drivers and only so much about passengers as it is necessary for business survival (once established, that's not a lot). Government doesn't care about Uber, drivers or passengers. :p

Who is John Galt?

Author
This sounds pretty much what you would expect from Dan 'CFMEU' Andrews.
Spends squillions not to build a road, spends squillions for taxi drivers not to provide a service.

The idiot doesn't realise that they already don't provide a service.

Mightymong

my wife got that and she safely moved it to Junk Mail folder. Funny I did not get the email although I do have a rider profile which I use quite a few times.

Scottie B

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What a mess the $2.00 tax has no GST, but CPI each year. If it's passed the tax will start in June 2018 and will be $2.03 not $2.00

Ubernaut10

It will be riders more than drivers that will lead any opposition.
This Labor government takes no prisoners, sacks anybody who gets in the way and is driven by its extreme ideology.
Thus they have drafted legislation that they knew would not be acceptable to Uber that already predicts Uber's response. They could have designed the legislation better.
Uber needs to pull its tax avoiding head in ... and play by the rules that will bind the game.
If Dan wants to poke Uber..
And give Matt and Sara a migraine..
Then Dan's on my side...
And..

Dan's the man..

Virgin wanted to come play domestic air travel in Australia...
I'm sure they are required to inform the authorities of how many flight they make in a year.

Uber has nothing to fear about disclosing fare numbers... If its legit and clean ,
Which its not.

Scottie B

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber needs to pull its tax avoiding head in ... and play by the rules that will bind the game.
If Dan wants to poke Uber..
And give Matt and Sara a migraine..
Then Dan's on my side...
And..

Dan's the man..

Virgin wanted to come play domestic air travel in Australia...
I'm sure they are required to inform the authorities of how many flight they make in a year.

Uber has nothing to fear about disclosing fare numbers... If its legit and clean ,
Which its not.
No where in the world does any company disclose there fare numbers to the Government

Lowestformofwit

Ummm Mat seems to be implying that the drivers will be paying the $2.......
That'd be no surprise.
If it's true, Uber's argument would likely be:
"Uber is a technology company. We didn't disrupt the taxi industry - our partners did, by driving. Therefore our partners should pay the levy."
A great time for drivers to suddenly assume the liabilities that come with being a "partner".

Free2Roam

From the Sun newspaper

A NEW $2 levy on taxi and Uber trips the Andrews Government wants to enforce from next year will be able to be slashed at the stroke of a pen.

The Herald Sun has learnt the $2 charge, included in laws introduced to state parliament as part of sweeping industry reforms, will act as a cap only.

This means while a future state government cannot increase the amount, it can reduce it to a different level — such as $1 or even nothing — without having to change the law. The levy has been introduced to help pay compensation to taxi licence holders, and is part of a wider package of sweeping reforms that will “level the playing field” and encourage new operators to compete in the market.

The Andrews Government will introduce draft laws on Thursday, which include a compensation and industry transformation package worth $494 million — up from an original estimate of $453 million.

This is because late last year the government announced that taxi licence holders would be able to get a “buyout” of $100,000 for the first licence they own, plus $50,000 for up to three additional licences.

The original plan was for compensation to flow for a maximum of two licences.

Public Transport Minister Jacinta Allan also revealed that all operators would be required to disclose to the State Revenue Office the number of rides they have provided, in order to work out the levy.

This is likely to be controversial, with ride-share giant Uber arguing in other states and countries that to disclose their data would be to release commercial-in-confidence information.

“Should any provider now comply with this legislation … then we have mechanisms in the levy to see them not be able to operate in the state of Victoria,” Ms Allan said.

“Should any driver take a booking from a provider that is not complying, then they will also not be able to drive for that provider.”

London Rides managing director Mark Wilson said he hoped MPs would usher legislation through state parliament as soon as possible to allow them to operate.

The state Opposition has already flagged it may try to block the $2 levy, and crossbench and Greens MPs want to send the draft laws to a parliamentary inquiry.

But Mr Wilson said lengthy delays could “make it really difficult for us to make it commercially viable to get on the road”.
The government has total power to force Uber to disclose all information it requires. Uber already completes quarterly ABS returns to Commonwealth Government which is aggregated with the taxi industry to protect it from spies ( so xenophobic a company ). So giving ride numbers to state revenue will just become an everyday function like all other government returns like tax, BAS, IAS, ABS et etc. Get over it Uber!