1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

That trip you don't want

Discussion in 'Sydney' started by I-love-panda-bears, Apr 18, 2017.

1. I-love-panda-bears

I-love-panda-bears Active Member

Yesterday I got one of the two trips I have been dreading. The city (the other one is the airport). Blood pressure went rather high when the pax said Star City. Anyway long story short is I missed a turn off in the ED but the pax didn't seem too concerned as he was 80 and it was his first time in the ED tunnel. I think he was quite enjoying the ride. Either way my error did not make a huge difference to travel time (we are talking 2-3 mins) and possibly went unnoticed.

So a couple of questions - what happens if you get lost? Is it at the expense of the pax or can they dispute your route? Surely there are gonna be times when some of us (huge assumption - maybe it will only be me lost in the city streets or doing circles at the airport) get lost. How is this managed and has anyone become just so lost they wanted to cry??? (That could be me even with a map - may be doing the wrong job...lol).

So leads to the very big question. I guess once someone is in your car you can't really cancel the job because you know it is gonna be a disaster for both yourself and the pax? Or can you? Cause I don't really care too much about my cancellation rate. I just want to do a good good with minimal stress even if that means less jobs. I am guessing I may just have to suck it up and get on with it.

Do others have areas they would rather not go and have a way of managing that? Also, I was pretty honest yesterday about my experience in the city. Is this best or are you better to pretend you know what the hell you are doing and where you are going?

If I set my destination to say Brighton Le Sands ( I live south) will that potentially stop me from getting trips to the airport or city?

P.S. I have only done 8 trip. One elderly, one teen female and the rest young males. The female was totally obnoxious and rude. Kudos to the men for their good manners.

SuperCooper likes this.
  2. henry218

henry218 Active Member

Its business, anywhere is as good as everywhere...

If you came from south, missing the ED at south dowling is not fatal, its just faster and more $$$...

3. SydneyUber Chick

SydneyUber Chick Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    To answer your questions as best I can. If you get lost the pax can most definitely dispute your route and get a fare adjustment from Uber. The pax does not have to pay for your mistakes (unless of course you are following pax directions in which case you could dispute their fare adjustment). Some pax will be understanding. Some pax wont. Personally I pretend I know where I'm going (usually i have at least a vague idea) and don't draw attention to minor deviations to route. If you have portray confidence in yourself, the pax are more likely to have confidence in you. If it's something that the pax is likely to notice (happened once to me coming off the harbour bridge where I was in the wrong lane and couldnt get across to where I needed to be), I offer to stop the trip early but continue to drive the pax to their destination so they arent being charged for the mistake. This seems to keep them happy enough (at least it did in my case).
    Once you have started a trip you can't cancel it (at least on my version of the app you cant). You can however end the trip an ask the pax to leave your vehicle at any (safe) point.
    I would advise you to spend a little time driving to and around the city when you dont have a pax to build up your knowledge and confidence. Try on a sunday afternoon or something when there is less traffic. The city and the airport are both major destinations and unless you call every single pax and ask them their destination (which is definitely not the thing to do and can get complaints made against you) then you are going to end up at both of these locations. Do yourself a favour and familiarise yourself with them.
    If you set your destination to Brighton Le Sands a couple of things will determine whether it stops you getting trips to the city or airport:
    1) where you are when you set the destination. If the city or airport is between you and Brighton Le Sands then no it wont stop you getting trips there.
    2) the time you set that you need to be at your destination. If you set a long timer, even if you are south of Brighton Le Sands, then the app may well give you trips that go past Brighton to the airport as you still have time to get back to your destination before the designated time. The airport is only 5-10 min from Brighton so unlikely to stop you getting trips there, and depending on the day / traffic the city isnt that much further.
    Also bear in mind you only get 2 set destination trips per day, so if you set a short timer to try and avoid the city you use it up quickly and then either have to use your second, or go offline, or suck it up and go wherever the pax need to go. Far better to get more familiar / confident with the major areas and save your set destinations for when a pax drags you miles from core areas or home and you want to get back

wasabi, Mr Fetch It and Pippo like this.
  4. vegabond

vegabond Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Early on (within the first week I think) when I started messed up with the route from Pyrmont to Neutral Bay. Missed the exit and made couple of loops before dropping the pax! Rookie mistake. Pax rated me 1* and had the fare disputed.

After that day, if I have made a genuine mistake with the route I convey that to the Pax and also let them know that I will have the fare adjusted through Uber. Complete the trip and when I get the first chance write to Uber about the issue with the route and Uber calculates the fare based on ideal route and corrects the fare. Happened once from North to Mosman (missed the exit!!) and needed to show the pax Opera House from the Harbour as a free tour and returned back..

wasabi and Mr Fetch It like this.
  5. Pippo

Pippo Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If you are a bit worried about town on the way go into the trip screen and turn off new jobs until you exit the area you don't want to be in

6. Uber Doobie

Uber Doobie Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    What I have done in the past when I have missed a critical turn or exit is simply end the trip on the uber app, apologize to the PAX & explain that they won't be charged for my error & continue to their destination. Most PAX will understand & in fact some have given me a tip for displaying personal integrity.

If they can't accept that sometimes everybody stuffs up & carry on like a pork chop then . . . Bugger them . . . & give them 1 star

wasabi likes this.
  7. idanzzz

idanzzz Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Like a Taxi driver doesn't stuff up LOL - yeah right!!!

At least you are all offering of fare adjustments or ending trips early. Taxi's don't give a damn and would never end the fare early!!!!

8. Uber Doobie

Driving:
    UberX
    If you are nervous about new destinations just take it slowly & view the turn by turn trip directions in google or waze (I consider that waze has better turn by turn directions) before you start driving so you can plan the trip

Be careful in tunnels & the city. Most PAX are understanding towards newbies

9. bonsaiman

bonsaiman Member

Before GPS there were road signs infront of you and they are still there . In the tunnel there are signs to tell you where to go , Dont just look into your phone .

Mr Fetch It likes this.
  10. wasabi

wasabi Well-Known Member

Yes, in tunnels your GPS may lose signal until you resurface above ground. If unsure of which exit you'll need to take, try to check what the navi is indicating before you enter the tunnel.
    It should usually give you an idea of what to look out for.

11. idanzzz

idanzzz Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Google Maps allows you to check the destination and all the roads/streets/exits even inside the tunnel. That may help to review the tunnel exit (not too late even when in tunnel)

12. Uber Doobie

Driving:
    UberX
    Yep, there are signs but for a newbie the signs in the tunnels can be a little kryptic & there is a need for split second decisions so pre planning you route is the key

Google gets very confused when you are in tunnels & doesn't always know if you are in the tunnel or on the street above. Once in a tunnel it is not wise to rely on on the GPS so planning is the key

13. Pippo

Pippo Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I once thought I took the wrong turn when the tunnel was closed. Apologised to the pax and advised that I would end the trip early. Which the pax was happy with .we then got back to where I should have turned and the road was closed. So we all had a giggled and no early end to the trip :)

Uber Doobie likes this.
  14. I-love-panda-bears

I-love-panda-bears Active Member

Thanks for the tips. I have found them helpful and will take them on board.

I am probably the ultimate newbie who only worked out today that Bluetooth needs to be off for the map to give voice instructions! This alone should help me in getting to and from places.

As you can see I am really no threat to those looking for a lot of work BUT I would like to at least have an ongoing good star rating and not tarnish the Uber brand for everyone else due to incompetence. If I am going to do the job I am going to do it as well as I can (until someone really pisses me off..lol).

I still wish I could avoid trips to the airport and city but I also wish I could win lotto.
    Have a good night and thanks for taking the time to respond. Cheers.

15. FuNkYy

FuNkYy Active Member

The pricing for Uber ride is already cheap, 35% cheaper than Taxies. The reason is because passengers should and need to be aware that most Uber drivers are not professional drivers. Most of us are simply the bloke next door. Therefore it should be expected that every now and then we make errors, and this is factored in the cheap pricing. So, if you made a mistake, don't turn your app off. Keep it on, and you do that for safety reasons !

16. SydneyUber Chick

Driving:
    UberX
    I dont believe anyone advocated turning the app off. Ending a fare doesnt require turning the app off. Errors are NOT factored into the prices. If they were then fares would not be adjusted if pax or driver requests due to navigational errors. Curious though as to what your safety reasons are for leaving your app on?

17. FuNkYy

FuNkYy Active Member

Sorry I didn't mean turning off the app totally. What I meant was completing the ride. Once you complete the ride, the back-end system assumes that you have dropped your passenger off. To have that passenger continuing in your car posses legal issues if you were say in an accident or something happened whilst the PAX is still in your car.

18. SydneyUber Chick

Driving:
    UberX
    That is something to consider. Although from that point I guess they are not a paying customer and merely like any other passenger you carry in your vehicle and subject to the same protections as when you carry family, friends etc

19. FuNkYy

FuNkYy Active Member

I think what you're suggesting is - you're on your own if something bad happens. Uber should double check this for us and provide us with what our legal position is, up front now, rather than when something really happens.
    To avoid this situation, I'm suggesting not to complete the trip and allow the PAX to escalate this for a fare adjustment.

20. Pippo

Pippo Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    What happens in your car is covered by your own insurance Uber may only come to the party if your insurance refuses to cover you

Can't you put your Bluetooth through your cars sound system ? That way you can hear it through your speakers instead of the phone

Quite often the pax will tell me to go straight ahead when the navigation tells me to turn . Quite often the stupid app will take you to the rear of the pax destination . Very frustrating . Even if the way the pax says might be longer they are paying for it. And they usually have a pretty good idea of where they live.